Topic: Fix for Weather NULL,NULL issue on theme screens - August 31, 2023.

=====================================================
UPDATE 2023-08-31 - new update to address recent disruption for weather -
please download new Control Panel from the link below and install again.

======================================================

All -

We have created a replacement Control Panel for the Sony dash running the Chumby patches.

This should restore the correct behavior that was lost when the previous weather data feed became unavailable a couple of weeks ago.

To install this patch, there are a couple of choices.

The easiest/recommended method:

1) Find the USB dongle you use to originally install the patch the convert your dash to use the Chumby systems.  If you can't find it, make a new one following the instructions at http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9843

2) Download the updated Control Panel from:

http://files.chumby.com/yume/controlpan … lpanel.swf

3) Replace the controlpanel.swf on the USB dongle with this new one.  Make sure it's actually replacing the old one, not just copied with the number "1", ".001", or something else at the end.  If that happens, delete the old file and rename the new one.

4) Go through the normal patch installation procedure as you did before, starting at step 3.

If, instead, you are an elite cyberpunk who knows how to hack Gibsons, burn chrome, etc. then you can use 'scp' with username 'root' to copy the controlpanel.swf to /psp/controlpanel.swf on the device, after you've enabled SSHD using the MENU->Settings->Device Info->(pi)->SSHD button.  You should also ssh into the device and issue a sync command to make sure the changed file is properly written out.  The file size is 896197 bytes and the MD5 is d2354d700a7b4abe6abe037347b711b0.  In new operating systems, such as MacOS Ventura and later,  you may need to enable RSA support on your computer to complete the ssl handshake.  Another quick way is to ssh into the device, cd to "/psp" and wget the control from the above link directly onto the device (you may have to switch the filenames of the old and newly downloaded CP).

If that last paragraph made no sense to you, then you should probably follow the first procedure.

To confirm you're running the new Control Panel, first, your weather should be displaying again, and if you go the MENU->Settings->Device Info screen, the "CP Version" should be "4.10.3".

Thanks to the testers that helped to get this vetted - you all were very helpful and you are why this process went pretty smoothly.

NOTE 2023-08-31 - This new Control Panel attempts to use your old weather settings, but it may not always be able to convert the old setting into the new settings for all cities.  In this case, delete the old city (MENU->Clock & Weather->Weather), then add the city back again.

As Marco from Tropoja would say, were he still with us, "Good luck" -  and please let us know how this update is working for you.

Note also that the new weather service we're using to provide the data has increased the cost of running the Chumby service -  if  you don't have a subscription please consider making a donation to help defray out costs.  Thanks!

Re: Fix for Weather NULL,NULL issue on theme screens - August 31, 2023.

Thank you, Duane!

Likewise. Thank you Duane!!!

Great job Duane!  Was fun putting on my hacking cap again..  LOL

Many thanks to Duane for pointing out the weather data solution!

Is it correct, that the 5 day weather forecast is only visible in the space theme?

I am used to this Clock&Weather theme:

magentacloud.de/apps/files_sharing/publicpreview/KsTQ6GnN9L7Hpjx?x=3740&y=1337&a=true&file=Accuweather1.jpg

Now my Clock&Weather theme looks like this:

magentacloud.de/apps/files_sharing/publicpreview/R2bfxi6tZrQpgPk?x=3740&y=1337&a=true&file=ClocknWeatherNOAA.jpg

Have I done something wrong or is it the new look and feel?

Thank you Duane. Worked perfectly, I had to reinstall the appswitcher theme after install using ssh. I am surprised I remembered but I left myself notes for a situation like this.

pet2001 wrote:

Many thanks to Duane for pointing out the weather data solution!

Is it correct, that the 5 day weather forecast is only visible in the space theme?

I am used to this Clock&Weather theme:

magentacloud.de/apps/files_sharing/publicpreview/KsTQ6GnN9L7Hpjx?x=3740&y=1337&a=true&file=Accuweather1.jpg

Now my Clock&Weather theme looks like this:

magentacloud.de/apps/files_sharing/publicpreview/R2bfxi6tZrQpgPk?x=3740&y=1337&a=true&file=ClocknWeatherNOAA.jpg

Have I done something wrong or is it the new look and feel?

It's possible that reinstalling the patch reset some of your themes.  My guess is that either the original is still there but not listed in the themes file, or you may have to install it again.

I don't distribute or *officially* support the original Sony themes, since they belong to Sony.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! This patch made me and my husband very happy.

Duane the Dash-Master!  Thank you!

Duane.  May I ask what source you are now using for the Weather?

Duane, many thanks to you and the testers. I thought I was going to have to finally say goodbye to my Dash. Updated the control panel and reloaded the app launcher theme.  All good!

Thanks a lot for working on this and giving the Dash an extension on life.

Does anyone have the Sony 5 day weather forecast theme they would be willing to share.  I thought I had it but can't find it anywhere.

I have the old themes and instructions how to install them but I have no idea how to upload them here.

Fixed!  Thank you!
I too would love to get the 5 day weather back.

Thank you, Duane.
All working nicely now.

16 (edited by pet2001 2023-02-26 09:49:13)

sjspitalli wrote:

I have the old themes and instructions how to install them but I have no idea how to upload them here.

For example you can upload them here:

h ttps://schicks-digital.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

(Copy the link, remove the space between "h" and "t" and paste it in your browser)

and after that post the links in the forum. It is a trustful site in europe and will be translated to english through google.translate.

yasbean wrote:

Fixed!  Thank you!

I got it back doing this:

Press the menu button on top of the Dash.
Select menu, Settings, Deviceinfo, Click on "Pi" in the upper right corner, Tap SSHD

Download "WinSCP Portable" and run it.
Access the Chumby with WinSCP via SSH (user: root (no password))

Rename the "theme.swf" in the directory "psp" to "ChumbyTheme.swf "and then copy the "theme.swf" from the directory "usr/widgets" to the directory "psp".
Additionally the file "theme_name.txt" has to be renamed to "ChumbyTheme_name.txt".

Click "Reboot" on the Chumbdash.
After reboot the Dash starts with the "Sony Theme".
Now click the weather-location icon (top center) and we have the 5 day weather preview again.

In order not to lose the weather preview again, it is important not to tap on any theme from the selection of the "Theme-Menu" (Space-Theme, Full Scree App, Clock&Weather) when operating the ChumbDash in the future.

To return to the 5 day weather forecast: Press menu button on the top of the Dash until the menu bar is displayed. Then tap the "Home-Icon" on the far right and tap the weather in the top center.

Instead of WinSCP, the program Putty can be used in combination with a USB stick. See here:

h ttps://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=56097#p56097

This worked perfectly.  Thank you for sharing this.

pet2001 wrote:
yasbean wrote:

Fixed!  Thank you!

Select menu, Settings, Deviceinfo, Click on "Pi" in the upper right corner, Tap SSHD

Rename the "theme.swf" in the directory "psp" to "ChumbyTheme.swf "and then copy the "theme.swf" from the directory "usr/widgets" to the directory "psp".
Additionally the file "theme_name.txt" has to be renamed to "ChumbyTheme_name.txt".

Now click the weather-location icon (top center) and we have the 5 day weather preview again.

In order not to lose the weather preview again, it is important not to tap on any theme from the selection of the "Theme-Menu" (Space-Theme, Full Scree App, Clock&Weather) when operating the ChumbDash in the future.

To return to the 5 day weather forecast: Press menu button on the top of the Dash until the menu bar is displayed. Then tap the "Home-Icon" on the far right and tap the weather in the top center.

Instead of WinSCP, the program Putty can be used in combination with a USB stick. See here:

thanks duane! it works great and works with the old dash default screen also!!!

Thank you Duane!  I just followed steps 1- 4 and my Dash is working just as it did before with 5 days of weather and showing my city and state.  Great job!

Thanks, Duane.

I am back, too, now.

I still like the Clock/Weather Theme the best.

I have my ZIP code and the ZIP codes of several adjacent cities.

I am an amateur radio operator, so I display my local 24 hour time as well as GMT/UTC time.

Jim
NØJS

Thank you Duane!

Worked for me. Thanx

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

pet2001 wrote:
yasbean wrote:

Fixed!  Thank you!

That worked for me, too.  Thank you!

(Sorry it took so long to reply.  My notification went into my SPAM folder.  Gmail filtering has been rather aggressive and forgetful of what is HAM and what is SPAM, lately.)

Thanks very much for this fix, Duane!
I did it the "hard way" and used Windows 11 scp and ssh built-in commands from the command prompt.