Re: Weather app …..

Duane wrote:

Yeah, I can't use someone else's subscription like that.

This is where you need the Australian expression "Yeah, nah", meaning "Yes, I understand what you are saying" and "No, I do not agree with you."

I came here because I also have a Chumbyized Sony Dash and noticed "null,null".

Keep following gang. Mine is back up and working with the mods that Duane made. 

He should be close to releasing!  Great fast turn around to keep these things working...

If you have the USB with the files that installed Chumby on the Dash, it is a 5 minute fix once the new Control Panel is available...

If you don't, he sells a USB over on the Chumby store for $9.50.  Just click Store and Misc at the top menu.

Or you can follow the instructions on the forum on how to create one yourself to be ready when the fix is available.

The Control Panel 4.10.2 update has been released - information and "how to install" posted here:

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=58885

Worked like a charm- Thank you Duane!

Woke up to the weather app saying 'undefined' across everything. Did the new feed die or or is something else up?

origamislayer wrote:

Woke up to the weather app saying 'undefined' across everything. Did the new feed die or or is something else up?

I have the same issue.

Same…

Same...

Weather source whack-a-mole stikes again.

Is there a fix to the new weather feasco?

37 (edited by wfline 2023-08-02 05:53:01)

I tried the Duane fix but still no change

wfline wrote:

I tried the Duane fix but still no change

That was the old Duane fix.  I don't think there's a new one yet.

I have confirmed that the upstream feed is no longer working.  I have contacted the vendor to get a quote to have it restored, but I'm not hopeful.  I'm looking into using another feed, but it is likely that it would be US-only, and would require reconfiguration for the locations.

I will be posting my progress status in this thread, and any fixes in the pinned thread.

Thank you, Duane!  My bedroom is now surprisingly lonely and empty without the familiar weather screen of my Dash.

No response from the existing upstream vendor.

I have identified a suitable replacement, so I'm setting up the service now.  Unlike the previous change, this will require that I host part of the service on our servers and write the appropriate interface code, which I'm doing now.  I'm trying to make it as compatible as possible to allow minimal changes to the Control Panel to preserve the behavior of the existing Control Panel themes.

Yeah!

Thank you Duane!

Thats great news. If you need beta testers like last time. Let us know.

OK, I have the server-side working and delivering weather to a device.  I have some cleanup to do (there are some slight differences in the feed), and then I'll be updating the Control Panel (which is a minor change).

It is very likely that users will have to reconfigure their weather - ie, delete the existing cities and reenter them.

46 (edited by keithcarter74 2023-08-15 10:36:43)

Thank you, Duane!   Pardon my confusion, but outside of reconfiguring weather cities, will we be needing to do any other configuration changes on the Dash as we did before (SSH or USB boot configs)?

keithcarter74 wrote:

Thank you, Duane!   Pardon my confusion, but outside of reconfiguring weather cities, will we be needing to do any other configuration changes on the Dash as we did before (SSH or USB boot configs)?

Given the url of the feed will be changing I expect it'll work just like the last time. Duane will have a new file and you'll need to install it via SSH/USB, then delete and recreate your weather config.

There will be a new Control Panel, so you'd follow the exact same instructions as in the other thread.  I have found a feed that works internationally, so that's good.

I will *try* to have the system work with the settings you already have, but there may be some corner cases where you'd have to reenter them.  Basically, it depends upon exactly how you did the search for the city - in some cases, the selector will be the anemic or the zip code (which will work without changes), or an internal Accuweather identifier (in which case, I will attempt to use the city name, but might result in the incorrect location (for instance, Paris, TX, might come up with weather from Paris, France), or maybe the inability to find the city (if Accuweather uses a slightly different name of a city).  In these cases you'd have to delete and reenter the city.

All in all, it's coming along very well.

Duane wrote:

I have found a feed that works internationally, so that's good.

I am very pleased to hear this, thank you.

Great news!