Topic: Weather app …..

Has the weather app on the default screen finally end of life. Mine just displays null as of today.

Re: Weather app …..

I noticed the same thing on my Dash.  Is yours running Chumby Firmware?

Yes, running the Chumby software and just using the default layout that shows date.clock.weather. The date and clock are fine. Just the weather has died.

I assume its the backend and the weather service is no longer active ? Maybe?

4 (edited by fritzhurst 2023-02-09 06:22:51)

Same here.  Wondering if it can be updated to pull correctly or point to a different source.

I sent a message to Duane who moderates here to see if there is something that can be changed.

Null and Undefined entries for weather this morning.  :-(

Accuweather is the source of the weather data and that data appears up to date when viewed online.
The Accuweather.com Forecast app for the Chumby appears to be working.
Thus, the data is still being published and Accuweather does not appear to have implemented a blanket ban on third party applications accessing it.
There must be some problem with the particular route via which the Dash gets its data from Accuweather.

7 (edited by apw2607 2023-02-09 18:21:04)

Well, this is a bit of a mystery then. Maybe it will just start working again if we all just wait long enough

My weather is gone too

Temps around USA is my favorite. Arstechnica is second. I hope it will be fixed. I have 3 Sony Dashes that feel the pain.

This was using Sony's original Accuweather data feed, which has expired.

The XML response for the weather requests is:

<error>Your subscription has expired.  Please contact AccuWeather to resubscribe</error>

Pricing for a replacement feed from Accuweather is not economical - it would exceed the current Chumby revenue.

I will look into seeing if it can be replaced by NOAA or something, but it would require a reinstallation of the Control Panel on the dash, and reconfiguration of the weather settings.

EDIT: A fix has been developed and is currently in testing, we hope to release in the next week or so.

That is interesting and somewhat disappointing news, although I remain optimistic that Duane will find a fix. Thank you, Duane.
Whilst I'm very pleased that Sony's Accuweather subscription did so substantially outlast their Dash service, I'm also rather suprised that Sony didn't cancel it at the same time they bricked the Dash.

Thanks for the update Duane.  I re-subscribed to Chumby thinking that may have been the issue. 

We have 2 Dashes next to the bed.  Wife said if she can't see the temp, it's not really needed.

I was going to SSH into the system to see if I could sort it out.  May still give that a try to see if I can find the Control Panel and decompile it. 

Haven't done Flash programming in over 20 years.  Like riding a bike??  LOL

My wife would be thrilled if you fix this Duane.
Even after all this time she'd rather keep the dash than switch to e.g. an Echo Show.

Alaric

I was just about to start a thread about this same weather app issue.  If you could fix that my wife would be so happy as well.  All of the new devices like Echos have cameras and microphones and I do not want those on my nightstand.

Funnily i just tried a echo show 8 and what a distraction that thing is. I didn't like the fact it pushed advertising screens to you every 10 seconds. No thanks !

What about setting up a proxy service for the weather data in the home network and tricking the dash into using this by manipulating its host resolution?
Duane, do you have the specs of the protocol required or pointers to where I could look this up?

Rgds,

Alaric

Thank you, Duane, for checking into this and all you have done to date. It is greatly appreciated!

Same weather null issue here… ☹️
Thank you all!

I was able to find this in GitHub. 

Looks like some of the other feeds that were set up are still valid.  Guessing the Sony feed is dead - but wondering if we just replace:

sonyyume.accu-weather.com/widget/sonyyume...

with

samsungmobile.accu-weather.com/widget/samsungmobile

here is the link I used and it returned data for my location:
samsungmobile.accu-weather.com/widget/samsungmobile/weather-data.asp?metric=1&location=cityId%3A338092

Not sure how many places in the control panel need to be updated?  The de-compiler I found is somewhat limited unless I upgrade to the paid version...

20 (edited by fritzhurst 2023-02-13 13:00:42)

Update:  Was able to find a SWF decompiler that also re-compiles the file.  Made the change I listed above and will see if I can get it installed onto my Dash tonight.

Just an FYI - Not sure if this is allowed from an API licensing perspective.  I own a multiple Samsung devices that have the Accu-weather app installed.  I will continue to research this a bit and week what the ramifications are if it works.

If it does work and the licensing isn't an issue, I can make the SWF control panel along with install instructions available on my Github. 

Duane - you can feel free to pull it and use it if you want.

Provided this works... LOL

Yeah, I can't use someone else's subscription like that.  It's a sure-fire way to get a cease/desist, and it will come to me just because it's posted here.

I think I have a "almost complete" fix for this - it's a new Control Panel.  I've run it on my local dashes and it seems to work.

If someone's comfortable with using SSH and a shell, then I can make this available to them for testing.  So far, the only thing I can find wrong with it is that it's not properly getting/displaying the state for the city.  If I can't get the state to work, then I can issue a new theme that removes it, and we're at 95% of the original functionality.

Please contact me through support@chumby.com if you're interested in trying it.

Understand that Duane.  Sent you an email as I am comfortable poking around in a Linux shell - so SSH would work.

I did get mine working with the updated URL.  But don't want to get any heat thrown at Chumby.

You can reply to my email and I'm happy to help with the testing!

Very much appreciate the research on solutions for the weather data.  It's also an important issue for us, same reasons as mentioned by others who love our Dash's.

I have a portable alternative for 5 day weather, which are my ancient Brookstone forecasters receiving Ambient radio transmissions and powered by AA and AAA batteries.  Those transmissions died last year, but a nudge to Ambient brought the Brookstones back to life.

Maybe Ambient might have more reasonable licensing terms?  The previous Sony Dash app had a 5 day forecast, a nice bonus.

There is a version of the Control Panel that fixes this problem and is currently in testing with several users.

Thank you Duane.
Looking forward to the release.