Topic: Can't SSH into my Sony Dashes any more

I used to be able to SSH into my Sony Dashes with no issues, but now I can't seem to.  I'm getting to pi menu, touching SSHD until the octopus winks, and then get on my PC and try to SSH in.  I get "Connection timed out" whether I use the Windows command line or Putty.

It's been a few years since I've SSH'ed in, so I'm sure I'm missing something, but I can't think of it.  Any ideas?

Re: Can't SSH into my Sony Dashes any more

can you ping them?

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Nope.  "Destination host unreachable."

I don't recall if the dash has the same ARP issue that the C1 has, but it's quite likely since incoming connections were never officially supported on the dash, so it would not have been rigorously tested.

The message "Destination host unreachable" is very typical of an ARP issue - your computer is unable to get a network route to the dash, not necessarily that SSHD is not running.

Typically a reboot will temporarily address this, but if it's the same issue as the C1, then eventually it may lose the route again.

If it is the same ARP issue and if you know the MAC address then you can use "arp -s" to manually add it to the local machine's table so it never needs to send out ARP requests.  It's a kludge work around ;-)

sweh wrote:

If it is the same ARP issue and if you know the MAC address then you can use "arp -s" to manually add it to the local machine's table so it never needs to send out ARP requests.  It's a kludge work around ;-)

Thanks, this worked.  Yes, it did take me over a year to give this a try, lol.

Yeah, well, I think we were all a little bit distracted over the past year or so smile

True!  Though I was originally trying to SSH into it to finally fix this issue:
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=58709#p58709

That one dated even further back.  DST ending and the need to set the time on all my non-internet connected clocks was the reminder I needed to go back and fix it.