1 (edited by rbarquer 2021-02-09 13:14:29)

Topic: WIFI not working Sony dash hid-c10 under mac address: undefined

Hi, I have two Sony dash hid-c10 both running chumby-hidc10-1.0.0 for over 3 years just fine. Three days ago there was a power outage. Since the power outage, they do not connect to my WIFI. The strange thing is that under mac address when I try to connect to WIFI both say "undefined" I tried factory resetting, re installing 1.7.1526 firmware and then re-installing chumby-hidc10-1.0.0 but the condition still remains, both Sony dash hid-c10 will not see any WIFI networks, before this problem, I could see 3 SSIDs from my home that would all be WI-Fi : 802.11b/g, 2.4 GHz. Is there any software that would suddenly stop working and lock my network interfaces on both Sony Dash? I was thinking that Flash support ended December 31, 2020 (recently) but I am not sure if this is related, if there is some kill switch within the code.

Re: WIFI not working Sony dash hid-c10 under mac address: undefined

Did you restart your modem and router?

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

The "undefined" MAC typically means that the Wifi network adapter is no longer accessible by the device.  I don't know how the Wifi circuitry in the dash is designed, so I don't know if it's subject to failures from power spike issues.

The termination of Flash on the desktop does not affect the Flash implementation on the chumby and chumby-enabled devices.

demarks51 wrote:

Did you restart your modem and router?

Yes, I did multiple times, I have done no changes to my WIFI network. Initially when I did factory restore on one of them I was able to see the SSID of all my WIFI networks but still unable to connect, then I re installed Chumby software and stopped seeing the WIFI networks and stock at mac address: undefined. I am about to give up, seems like the WIFI interfaces on both SONY dash are administratively down.

5 (edited by rbarquer 2021-02-18 15:42:56)

Duane wrote:

The "undefined" MAC typically means that the Wifi network adapter is no longer accessible by the device.  I don't know how the Wifi circuitry in the dash is designed, so I don't know if it's subject to failures from power spike issues.

The termination of Flash on the desktop does not affect the Flash implementation on the chumby and chumby-enabled devices.

Thanks for the information. Any other ideas about what may be causing the wireless interfaces to be disabled on the Sony Dash units? I was thinking that maybe it is a kill switch on the operating system from Sony that turns on on certain date? am I the only person having this issue?

Could it be some security issue with trying to set a new WIFI connection that the Sony software does not know how to interact with the Chumby firmware? Or could this be related to Adobe Flash end of support (I see that you responded this question, got it) 

Thanks! I am about to give up.

I'm not familiar with anyone else having this particular issue, and it's unusual to see something like this happen to two units at the same time.

Unfortunately, chumby had very little to do with the hardware design of these devices so there really isn't much I can offer there.

I do have an inventory of "new/unused" Sony dash devices (ie in unopened boxes, not refurbished units), if you're interested in replacing them.  They have factory firmware from manufacture, so they'd need to have the appropriate firmware burned onto them, and the chumby patches applied if desired.