Topic: Am I cheating on my Chumbies and Dash?

I received my 2 Echo Show 8s today. I get points at work and so I used them on these. It is nice to have voice command available. I know in the long run they will cost me more than a Chumby subscription in the long run since I can buy on Amazon with just a voice command!

Re: Am I cheating on my Chumbies and Dash?

My tinfoil hat won't let these types of devices in my house. :-/

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

All they hear is the TV and my cursing burning dinner!

Now that the Dash weather feed is gone and Duane does not seem hopeful of sourcing an alternative that will support locations outside the US, I am thinking about getting an Echo Show (maybe a 5 or an 8).
I am keen to hear from Show owners who also have Chumbies or Dashes and therefore understand the sort of experience I'm trying to replicate.
Can you make the Show display a similar sort of five day weather forecast to that which the Dash had?
Can you make it display Google Calendar?
Can you set these to display in rotation, in the same way you could put two widgets in a Chumby channel?
Can you set the display to stay on your chosen content, or does it keep defaulting back to the home screen or to a sleep state?
I, too, am a bit of a tinfoil hat wearer and am not keen on having the mic on all the time. Can you use the thing without the mic (either always or most of the time), if all you want it to do is display the weather and a calendar as described above?
Thanks.

Sorry that I cannot answer your questions because I am lazy and impatient!

When I need the weather forecast, I ask. I know it can show what the existing temp is on the default screen but I do have a weather station that I use for that.

I use it mostly for music and a visual for my Ring doorbell.

The good news is that I've got a feed that works internationally and has virtually the same data as what was coming from Accuweather, at least as far as the dash Control Panel is concerned.

Duane wrote:

The good news is that I've got a feed that works internationally and has virtually the same data as what was coming from Accuweather, at least as far as the dash Control Panel is concerned.

That's particularly good news to me because I was becoming increasingly less enthusiastic about the Echo Show.
My experiences thus far with voice commands on other devices have mostly involved swearing, shouting and giving up, so I wasn't optimistic about my chances with a new device. It really does seem that the Show has been designed with voice commands in mind, so I suspect its touch screen interface could be a bit awkward to use.