Topic: Sony Dash HID-C10 and 7-day alarms

Hello,

Can someone please tell me: will a Sony Dash HID-C10 running the 1.7.1526 firmware retain the ability to set 7-day alarms under the control panel?

Re: Sony Dash HID-C10 and 7-day alarms

I just checked my Sony Dash. It does have FW:  1.7.1526. From Basic Alarm, you can select Advanced Alarms and then Add Alarm. From there you can select Daily or One-Time. Below that you can select Repeat and choose which days Mon on through Sun. I didn't see an option to choose different times each day, but I could have missed that.

The alarm subsystem is in the Control Panel, not the base firmware.

The alarm subsystem in the chumby Control Panel should have the same functionality as the pre-end-of-life Sony Control Panel.

4 (edited by flibbertigibbet 2020-05-25 13:28:27)

Jim1348 wrote:

I just checked my Sony Dash. It does have FW:  1.7.1526.

To clarify: this is an stock, unmodded (i.e. does *not* have the software that enables chumby operation installed) you are looking at, is that right?

Jim1348 wrote:

From Basic Alarm, you can select Advanced Alarms and then Add Alarm. From there you can select Daily or One-Time. Below that you can select Repeat and choose which days Mon on through Sun. I didn't see an option to choose different times each day, but I could have missed that.

There's no hurry, but would someone be kind enough to take a look at their own stock, unmodded Dash when they get a chance and verify firsthand that the option to choose different times each day is indeed present?  I ask because I am a step-by-step sort who tries very hard not to make any assumptions when it comes to hardware and software.

Long story short, I am trying to work out whether a stock, unmodded Dash has the ability to set 7-day alarms or not.  I *do* understand, based on Duane's reply, that the alarm settings are in the CP.  However, I am *not* clear on whether the CP is present in a stock, unmodded Sony Dash, or is *only* present in a Dash that has been modified according to the lengthy steps found in the "UNBRICK YOUR HID-C10 DASH" thread dated 2017-07-15.

(If any of the above is unclear, please let me know.  I'm not very good at explaining things sometimes and this may be one of those times.)

5 (edited by Jim1348 2020-05-25 18:22:48)

flibbertigibbet wrote:

To clarify: this is an stock, unmodded (i.e. does *not* have the software that enables Chumby operation installed) you are looking at, is that right?...

Oh, I am very sorry about that. Mine is, indeed, Chumby-ized. But, like Duane posted, that should not matter.

Duane wrote:

The alarm subsystem is in the Control Panel, not the base firmware.

The alarm subsystem in the chumby Control Panel should have the same functionality as the pre-end-of-life Sony Control Panel.

I've just gone through the process.

If it's a new device, it will go through a basic initialization - ask for timezone, etc.

After that, what it will do is ask to be configured for the network.

If you do configure the network, it will then try to download a "manifest" from Sony, which has an entry for where to get the normal Control Panel, which it would then download and run.  Since the Sony servers are not operational, the manifest cannot be fetched, and the device just displays an error message.  You'd have to put the device into special options mode to clear the network settings.

If you *don't* configure the network, it will go into a "built-in" clock mode, which makes you set the time manually (since it doesn't have access to a network to set the time) and then progresses to a simple clock, with a button to set up the network, and a button to set a single one-time alarm.

So to answer your question, an unmodified dash will not present the ability to set complex alarms, only a single one-time alarm.

So to answer your question, an unmodified dash will not present the ability to set complex alarms, only a single one-time alarm.

Thank you for taking the time to look at that.  Try as I might (I did browse the Chumby Wiki, among other resources), I was hitherto unable to discover what a stock, non-Chumbyised Dash had to offer in the way of alarms.

(The answer, it seems, is "not much.") 

I don't imagine Dash purchasers took it very calmly when Sony left them so little in the way of functionality for their devices.

We never hosted much in the way of public documentation for the dash, since it wasn't our device.

The Insignia Infocast devices, on the other hand, were mostly rebrands of chumby-branded devices, so much of the documentation applied to both.

I really can't speak to the mood of dash users when Sony pulled the plug.  I do have a few myself, and was able to do something about it so I was less upset about it. Unfortunately, we were only able to help the dash users with the C10 model, the other two devices were too locked down.

Duane wrote:

I really can't speak to the mood of dash users when Sony pulled the plug.

I was a tiny bit put out to find that the compensation that Sony was offering (I think it might have been a Bluetooth speaker - either free or at a discount) was only available to Dash owners in the US.
The Dash was never offered for sale in Australia, so it may be fair to not offer the compensation to owners of second hand Dashes here. On the other hand, Sony does have a significant brand presence in Australia, so it may not have been too much of a problem for them to have extended the compensation offer to Australian Dash owners (which quite likely would have been a very, very small group - possibly, me alone).