Topic: Clock removal

Hello, I have chumby model 9.9, software version 1.8.2, I use it for streaming Pandora but the clock/date screen keeps popping up over Pandora and have to exit with top button. It will not let me delete clock widget, any suggestions on how to remove clock? Also is there an IP address for this model to make adjustments thru web interface. thanks.

2 (edited by demarks51 2020-03-03 14:24:05)

Re: Clock removal

Default clock cannot be deleted, I don't think. Do you have a Chumby subscription? One clock widget at no cost. Technically there are two clock faces with the one free widget. Music sources work free too. If you want anything else, you will need to subscribe at $3 per month through the Chumby.com website. Hope this helps or tell us a little more so we can help out. Once Pandora plays for a while, it will revert eventually back to clock automatically. Just press top button and it will allow you to adjust music sources. Sounds like you are also talking maybe about the Zurk's option from a long time ago. I don't think that works anymore.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Thanks for info. The thing is I built an internet jukebox using chumby inside a cabinet with speakers and every time the clock pops up on screen I have to open the cabinet to hit top button to remove. I like to see whats's playing on pandora or music I have on usb plugged into the rear panel. I didn't realize the clock would automatically engage every 10 minutes or so when I built it. Is there any way to set interval time like an hour or two before clock pops up? The unit has one main power switch so power from chumby is removed when turn off.

The default behavior of the Control Panel on Chumby 8 is to return to widget mode after 15 minutes of no interaction.

There actually is a way to setting the timeout, but it requires starting the Control Panel with a command-line parameter "disableInteractionTimeout"

If you ssh into the console, you can:

# stop_control_panel
# chumbyflashplayer.x -i /tmp/controlpanel.swf -d disableInteractionTimeout=1

You can also set the timeout value to something other than 15 minutes with ex. "-d interactionTimeoutMinutes=60"
You can set up a dongle with a "debugchumby" script to do this on every boot - see the wiki.

Thanks. I am familiar with script, have a few raspberry pi's that I entered code in awhile back, have to brush up on commands. Wiki has some good info was able to find IP address, already downloaded putty and connected to chumby. I'll see if I can get it to work.

Looks like there's another way that would not require a dongle, but I haven't tested it...

SSH into the device and create the the file "/psp/flashplayer.cfg" with the following contents:

Define disableInteractionTimeout 1

Then do the command "sync", and reboot the device.

Thanks Blue Octy, I tried both of your examples, the second example I could not get to work. The first example I got to work when ssh into chumby, I changed number after Timeout to 240 and it ran for a hour with no clock. When I tried to put on usb drive to execute on booting up I had no luck. I put the debugchumby file and two lines of script on notepad then to usb drive, must be doing something wrong.

You need to use an editor that supports linefeeds as line endings, not carriage returns - after all, this is Linux, not Windows.

There's a simplified version of "vi" on the device itself, or you can use a more sophisticated editor such as NotePad++.

So I downloaded Notepad ++ and entered debugchumby and script but still can't get it to see it on boot. i tried different commands and nothing. But now the clock comes on as soon as it boots up. here is what I have on the flash drive.
tried bin/bash with also with no bin. I'm a little rusty with Linux.

!#/bin/sh
/mnt/usb/debugchumby
stop_control_panel
chumbyflashplayer.x -i /tmp/controlpanel.swf -d InteractionTimeoutMinutes=240
chmod +x debugchumby.sh
./debugchumby.sh

The file just need to be called "debugchumby" and be on a USB drive that inserted at boot.

The contents of the file should be:

#!/bin/sh
stop_control_panel
chumbyflashplayer.x -i /tmp/controlpanel.swf -d interactionTimeoutMinutes=240

You had the she-bang backwards, some extra commandsyou don't need, and a capital "I" on "interactionTimeoutMinutes" (it's case sensitive).

The USB drive should be formatted as FAT, and be 4GB or less in size, or partitioned such that the first partition is that size.

With FAT file systems, you don't need to set the "execute" bit.

So no luck with flash drive, when I ssh in to /mnt/usb/debugchumby the two script lines are there so it is seeing contents of drive but it is not executing on boot up. I wonder if the clock loads after reading usb file and overwrites the command. Like I said previous when I ssh in and enter the two lines it works, is there a way to enter lines into a certain file to execute at boot?

OK just to confirm, with the dongle inserted, execute the following commands:

ls -l /mnt/usb
cat /mnt/usb/debugchumby

...and post the terminal transcript here.

You might also want to run something like

head -3 /mnt/usb/debugchumby | hd

14 (edited by sib807 2020-03-12 15:03:53)

Duane wrote:

OK just to confirm, with the dongle inserted, execute the following commands:

ls -l /mnt/usb
cat /mnt/usb/debugchumby

...and post the terminal transcript here.

#ls -l /mnt/usb
lrwxrwxrwx    1  root     root        18  Dec 31  1969   /mnt/usb -> /mnt/usb-0E0F-D076

#cat /mnt/usb/chumby
#!/bin/sh

stop_control_panel
chumbyflashplayer.x -i /tmp/controlpanel.swf -d disableInteractionTimeout=240

Is the file really called "chumby", not "debugchumby"?

sorry, the file is called " debugchumby". error on my part, I typed in these code lines, not sure how to copy and paste screen shot from linux. so it shows chumby is seeing file from flash drive but not executing it on boot.

OK, it's not very likely that it's not at least trying to run it - I've never seen device *not* run a properly formatted "debugchumby" file, it's an intrinsic part of the boot process and is pretty bulletproof.

It's important that you cut/paste, not retype what you see.  You should be able to cut/paste from the PuTTY console.

Also, to follow up on sweh's post, it would also be nice to have the output of:

hd /mnt/usb/debugchumby

00000000  23 21 2f 62 69 6e 2f 73  68 0a 0a 73 74 6f 70 5f  |#!/bin/sh..stop_|
00000010  63 6f 6e 74 72 6f 6c 5f  70 61 6e 65 6c 0a 63 68  |control_panel.ch|
00000020  75 6d 62 79 66 6c 61 73  68 70 6c 61 79 65 72 2e  |umbyflashplayer.|
00000030  78 20 2d 69 20 2f 74 6d  70 2f 63 6f 6e 74 72 6f  |x -i /tmp/contro|
00000040  6c 70 61 6e 65 6c 2e 73  77 66 20 2d 64 20 64 69  |lpanel.swf -d di|
00000050  73 61 62 6c 65 49 6e 74  65 72 61 63 74 69 6f 6e  |sableInteraction|
00000060  54 69 6d 65 6f 75 74 3d  32 34 30 0a 0a 0a        |Timeout=240...|
0000006e