1 (edited by terrencegf 2018-10-01 14:25:45)

Topic: Chumby8, Infocast8, Dash - EDITED

EDIT: $76 for UPS to pack and ship is WAY too much. I can't imagine anyone interested in that. So I'm going to eWaste recycle the devices. Sorry for posting before checking into pricing.

Original Post:
So this may sound a bit weird. I have a Chumby 8, an Infocast 8, and a Sony Dash. I recently moved to a much smaller condo and no longer have the space/need for these devices. I was planning on getting rid of them during our town's eWaste Recycling event on October 13, 2018. But I thought I'd see if anyone here would be interested in taking them before then. I'm not looking to make a profit. Ideally, I just want to drop them at the UPS store for packaging and shipment.

All three units are in good working condition. The Chumby and Infocast are running Zurk's Offline Firmware with 30 clocks set to change each minute. The Dash is running the Chumby update and connected to the default (free) Chumby channel. Some pics:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RLeNTybUaRrqmdn28

I don't know how much packing/shipping will actually cost. I think $50 would cover everything to most locations in the US. But I'm not sure how best to arrange it so both parties are assured of payment and delivery. If you are interested and have a solution, please let me know before October 13,2018.

Re: Chumby8, Infocast8, Dash - EDITED

I have shipped individual units for under $10. You can also get a discount for shipping through PayPal. I have not heard much lately about people running Zurk. Looks nice.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

3 (edited by terrencegf 2018-10-01 14:30:42)

I went to the UPS Store today. I was not happy with the news. $76 to pack and ship to the east coast; $28 for packing, $48 for shipping due to fragile contents. I think nobody will be interested in paying that much, so I think I'm simply going to eWaste recycle the 3 devices.

That's crazy - we ship chumbys all over the world and the pricing is nothing like that.

Please email me at support@chumby.com and let me see what we can arrange.

terrencegf wrote:

I went to the UPS Store today. I was not happy with the news. $76 to pack and ship to the east coast; $28 for packing, $48 for shipping due to fragile contents. I think nobody will be interested in paying that much, so I think I'm simply going to eWaste recycle the 3 devices.

That's ridiculous.

Get some of the flat rate boxes from the post office, fill 'em with packing peanuts and ship.... even if you send them separately, it'll be like 30$.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Absolutely. I think you can pack these units securely enough to get to a destination. I have shipped several chums and it costs me around $10 each if shipped separately. Ebayers have to know this stuff. UPS store is outrageous. If you ship with PayPal they let you print up the label and it is discounted shipping. NOBODY wants you to dispose of these little buddies. Better to donate to a thrift store. (Goodwill) Not the landfill. Ask a friend to help you get the cheapest rate to ship.

Duane can put them in his store and make a little for the cause.

That goes for anyone else out there. Send your unwanted Chumbys/Infocasts/Dashes to Duane as a donation to BlueOcty.
That is okay, Duane?

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Yeah, anything anyone doesn't want, we're happy to take - even non-working units, which we can use for parts.

Or fix.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Or fix.

Yes, if possible - I've fixed several, it really depends on what's wrong with them.

Duane wrote:
BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Or fix.

Yes, if possible - I've fixed several, it really depends on what's wrong with them.

Sometimes it is as easy as replacing the wifi module. Other times, not so much.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Yeah, the UPS Store can be ridiculous especially if the franchise is being run by a jerk.  I had one who refused to take a prepacked box with my UPS account-generated label on it because he wasn't making any money off it.  I reported him since they are required to accept drop-offs, and evidently I wasn't the only one because it closed about a month later.

If the OP decides to come back here before they send the units off to die I would be happy to send a UPS label to them with shipping costs prepaid just to rescue them.