Topic: Network connection keeps dropping.

I'm very happy with the initial release and I hope we can see continued improvements.

Is there a forum for posting problems or suggestions? My dash keeps prompting for a network connection. Not sure if it's the hardware, my network or some other issue.

Re: Network connection keeps dropping.

I've seen that on my Dash, although usually only on reboots.  Are you seeing this during normal operation?

Yes. It will work for a day or two and then I walk in and it's waiting on selecting a network connection.

It always prompts on a reboot. I don't think I have a power issue, but it could disconnect from my wifi.

I may try shutting off the wifi and see what happens.

Mr.T wrote:

Yes. It will work for a day or two and then I walk in and it's waiting on selecting a network connection.

It always prompts on a reboot. I don't think I have a power issue, but it could disconnect from my wifi.

I identified an issue last night, If you didn't go through the dash setup where it asked that weird security question and answer, then it'll prompt for network connection after installing chumby.

To get around this, turn on SSHD
http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php?title= … the_chumby
then ssh in, and enter these commands:

echo x > /psp/securityAnswer
echo y > /psp/securityQuestion

On your next reboot, it should not stop on the network screen.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Thanks. That worked perfectly.

We'll try to address this issue on the next release.

I seem to have a related issue.

I have two ChumDash's.  I have them set up to use a fixed IP address.

The behavior is the same on both:  if I unplug the Dash from outlet / power, it goes through the boot process and brings me to the network configuration page.

If I choose  " (X) Use an Existing Connection ", / Next / Choose a Network Configuration / (my SSID) / Next / Confirm my settings (which has all correct info re: IP Address) / Next ....  Then it tries to "Connecting to Network...  "  ...  and after a relatively long time:   "Network Connection has Failed...  wlan0 link is down, failed to obtain IP Address, Internet is unreachable".

Does it not support a fixed IP address?

zebraitis wrote:

I seem to have a related issue.

I have two ChumDash's.  I have them set up to use a fixed IP address.

The behavior is the same on both:  if I unplug the Dash from outlet / power, it goes through the boot process and brings me to the network configuration page.

If I choose  " (X) Use an Existing Connection ", / Next / Choose a Network Configuration / (my SSID) / Next / Confirm my settings (which has all correct info re: IP Address) / Next ....  Then it tries to "Connecting to Network...  "  ...  and after a relatively long time:   "Network Connection has Failed...  wlan0 link is down, failed to obtain IP Address, Internet is unreachable".

Does it not support a fixed IP address?

OK... More information...

If I do a reload from USB, then I can bring up the expected Chumby Dashboard.

However, unplug and reboot...  I'm back in Network Configuration.

So:  I reinstalled from USB, stated SSH via provided instructions, logged in via PuTTY, and added the two suggested commands.

Reboot...  back to Network Configuration.    (Wha-Waaaaaaaa  thanks for playing.  sad   )

9 (edited by intored 2017-09-26 14:48:26)

diamaunt wrote:
Mr.T wrote:

I identified an issue last night, If you didn't go through the dash setup where it asked that weird security question and answer, then it'll prompt for network connection after installing chumby.

I have the same problem, but what is weird is that I have (2) Dashes in our bedroom, one bricked when applying the Sony patch and one didn't. Now both are working using the Chumby OS, but now the one that worked on the Sony patch will reboot every couple of days and the other one works fine? The rebooting is only an issue because the Dash is then stuck on the network connection screen...

Fired up PuTTyY and applied the below code, now it doesn't hang on the network screen big_smile However, I wonder why the clock is rebooting this frequently?

Also have one (of three) that is only used as a clock.

Frequently it will change screens away from the clock and say "Checking Network" and another that says "Checking Date".

Daily now it seems it has rebooted (I don't witness this) and then stops on the screen telling me to choose which of my two wifi networks saved on it to connect to.  It connects fine and I don't have to enter my password.

I've entered these two echo commands and am hopeful it takes care of things.

diamaunt wrote:

http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php?title= … the_chumby

I tried the Putty commands but they don't seem to be working. It's just

?

Tried it twice, and I still get the network selection screen upon reboot.

I also have a newly imaged Chumby Dash that seems to reboot itself multiple times a day. None of my other Dashes had this issue. Has anyone else seen that problem?

The first time I applied the code it didn't work, but after reboot I tried it again and it worked...so maybe it was just a typo?

intored wrote:

The first time I applied the code it didn't work, but after reboot I tried it again and it worked...so maybe it was just a typo?

I tried a bunch of times.

Related: a second Dash we have started rebooting itself recently and getting stuck on the network connection screen.

That Dash had been fine for a while, but now it reboots itself multiple times per day. I assume it's dying? Or something else?

I had noticed that my clock was 2 minutes slow (running Chumby) so I rebooted and got to the network page.  When I tried to proceed, I got a message stating that "internet is unreachable".  I uninstalled Chumby, rebooted, and installed Chumby.  Got the same error.  I uninstalled Chumby and booted the Sony 1.7.1526 and still could not get a network connection (same error).

Now the interesting thing was that I had a LAN connection and could ping the Dash.  I made sure my firewall wasn't blocking anything as it was initially blocking the NTP messages on port 123 (which could explain the drift).  I also opened the filtering and watched both firewall and filtering logs to make sure it wasn't a (Sophos) router issue. 

I even tried going to 1.7.1604 via USB which bricked the unit and disabled the touch screen.  I went back to 1.7.1526 which is where I am now.  I cannot get network connectivity.  I have not added Chumby back into the equation.  I tried a different AP set for mixed b-g mode.  I even connected an apple ethernet adapter and was able to get the LAN connectivity and ping the Dash but still the same internet error.  I am absolutely getting onto my LAN.  Also, the time is now correct so it is reaching the NTP servers once the firewall stopped blocking them.

It would appear that there something it is trying to contact that is no longer there. 

Anyone else have this issue?  Any ideas?

69ragtop wrote:

It would appear that there something it is trying to contact that is no longer there. 

Anyone else have this issue?  Any ideas?

I just rebooted my dash, it came up normally.  No network issues.

I should note that due to mitigation of Meltdown and Spectre, all of the chumby servers have been scheduled for maintenance over the next week or so, which could result in brief downtimes for each of them.  However, given the situation as you've described, this doesn't sound like the issue you're having.

"internet is not reachable" error message usually implies a LAN issue - cannot get IP, IP collision, can't reach the gateway, etc.  The error the wizard shows if the service is down or something missing on the server is "chumby.com is unreachable".

Thanks for the quick reply.  Given that the stock Sony firmware cannot connect, I do not suspect it is a Chumby issue.  The Dash gets an IP address and can be pinged.  The wired ethernet adapter also got an IP address (different one due to DHCP reservations) and could be pinged.  It must be something in my router blocking it as the Dash is definitely on the LAN.

With the chumby patches installed and a working connection to the LAN, you should be able to get a shell on the device to see what's going going on.  If sshd is not running, you should be able to launch it with a "debugchumby" script.

18 (edited by 69ragtop 2018-05-02 10:38:09)

ok - after some searching, I found what was needed to create a debugchumby script to enable SSH.  I am now at a shell.  I can get to the internet from the shell inside the Dash. 

/tmp/network.error shows "DNS never started working" but I can do an nslookup with no problem.

EDIT: - I can resolve ssm.internet.sony.tv with nslookup.  I couldn't resolve sony.tv and thought that may be it but alas, no.

I looked at /usr/chumby/scripts/start_network where the error seems to be generated.

When I manually try to access the sony.tv site, I get an md5 of bc56979a0b381a791dd59713198a87fb vs the expected f950fd823547ce3f2a68cd5933eae02f.  However, I get the correct md5 for trying the chumby website so it should proceed.

The chumby patch adds an entry to /psp/hosts (which is symlinked from /etc/hosts) that should resolve ssm.internet.sony.tv to one of the chumby servers and provide the correct data.

EDIT:  On my dash:

[root@tango3 scripts]# curl http://ssm.internet.sony.tv/DASH/index.html 2>/dev/null | md5sum
f950fd823547ce3f2a68cd5933eae02f  -

[root@tango3 scripts]# nslookup ssm.internet.sony.tv
Server:    192.168.1.1
Address 1: 192.168.1.1

Name:      ssm.internet.sony.tv
Address 1: 192.81.128.180 ssm.internet.sony.tv

Looks like the original URL on sony's site now returns a HTTP 403 and some HTML, which is why the MD5 mismatch.

21 (edited by 69ragtop 2018-05-02 11:04:28)

ssm.internet.sony.tv with nslookup resolves to the ip address in /psp/hosts.

curl(URL not allowed ssm.internet.sony.tv) 2>/dev/null | md5sum | cut -d' ' -f1

returns bc56979a0b381a791dd59713198a87fb

while the expected is f950fd823547ce3f2a68cd5933eae02f

but there is an else that tries

wget -T 5 -q -O - (URL not allowed ping.chumby.com) 2>/dev/null | md5sum | cut -d' ' -f1

and that returns ce8e2a4f32e85691d3197054e511ed43 which is the expected result so I am not sure why the DNS error is issued.

EDIT: For some reason, I get the right MD5 when I hard code the IP even thought the nslooKup points to that IP for ssm.internet.sony.tv.

ok - my solution was to put a static DNS entry in my router since the Dash was somehow still reaching out to the original Sony website even though an NS lookup on the Dash resolved to 192.81.128.80.

Thanks for the help!

Glad it's working, but it is a bit concerning that your dash seems to be sometimes ignoring the hosts file entry.

My chumby/dash also has this problem -- 'internet is unreachable'.  (Got  power cycled...)

When I do a packet trace I see it successfully gets it's ip address via dhcp, resolves names via DNS, send/receives packets to/from the internet, and finally gets a 403 forbidden from the sony servers.

Here is the DNS response:
q: A? ssm.internet.sony.tv. 3/0/0 ssm.internet.sony.tv. A 52.32.16.43, ssm.internet.sony.tv. A 34.211.155.181, ssm.internet.sony.tv. A 54.186.97.48 (86)

Here is a get to 52.32.16.43:
GET /DASH/index.html HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: curl/7.16.2 (mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.16.2 OpenSSL/0.9.7l zlib/1.2.3 c-ares/1.3.2
Host: ssm.internet.sony.tv
Accept: */*

and here is the response:
HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
Content-Type: text/html
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 02:11:30 GMT
Server: nginx
Content-Length: 162
Connection: keep-alive

It then tries the other addresses, which fail, and then gives up...

So, more than one dash has the problem.

Thanks!

Not sure how to SSH to the dash when it is in this state... ('not connected to the internet' and only basic clock function).

How do I enable SSH when I can't get to the Menu?

Thanks!