Re: UNBRICK YOUR HID-C10 DASH

Anyone is welcome to post any information about UI and/or coding bugs and I will file them for future development.

There's no doubt that there are bugs with the dash Control Panel - we had quite a few testers, but the development period was very short.  The goal was to get something out that was sufficiently functional for people to be able to continue to use their devices once Sony pulled the plug.

Duane wrote:

The goal was to get something out that was sufficiently functional for people to be able to continue to use their devices once Sony pulled the plug.

And you succeeded in a way that still makes me smile.

As one of those who was forced to put up with months-long outages with the Sony servers, authentication failures and enough negligence to put me off buying anything with a Sony logo on it for quite some time, I can happily report that since my Dash was rescued from the sinking ship that was Sony's infrastructure I have had zero downtime.  None.  That alone is worth $3/mo.  Before it was weekly and sometimes for months at a time.

I'm 60 years old and have been programming (that's what it was called before the kids changed it to "coding") for more than three decades and once I get some free time I intend to contribute to the Chumbysphere, but in the meantime I want to thank Duane and everyone else who managed to do something unique on the Internet of Things...rescue an orphan.

In all fairness, I do reboot, and upgrade the servers here, but it's *usually* short enough that most of the devices don't do anything but hiccup briefly, if that. smile

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

204 (edited by riblet2000 2018-02-16 22:10:23)

Prior to being Chumbyized, my Dash would be sitting on my office bookcase blankly staring into the room waiting for me to reboot it at least once every couple of weeks.  And then there was The Gap, which everyone fell into during Sony's inability to keep the authentication system going and resulted in months of downtime.

You have yet to cause even a blip.

smile

riblet2000 wrote:

Prior to being Chumbyized, my Dash would be sitting on my office bookcase blankly staring into the room waiting for me to reboot it at least once every couple of weeks.  And then there was The Gap, which everyone fell into during Sony's inability to keep the authentication system going and resulted in months of downtime.

You have yet to cause even a blip.

smile

Oh stop... you're going to make me blush wink

Can someone help me with the 1.7.1526 firmware zip file?  The link in one of the forum posts takes me to AnonFile, and the download listed is for an Adobe Flash .dmg.  Avast pops up indicating that it's a virus.  Is there anyone that can tell me where to get a good version of the firmware so I can chumbyize my Dash?  Thanks.

The file at https://anonfile.com/v0V2W6bbb3/Dash1.7.1526update.zip appears to be sane.  Chrome reports it as being potentially bad, but it matches the md5 checksum of the update file I had direct from Sony, and matches the md5 listed elsewhere in this forum.

% md5sum Dash1.7.1526update.zip
35f49ae0b19aee592189297039cccd9e  Dash1.7.1526update.zip

I just tried it again and got the same result - It's an AdobeFlashPlayerInstaller.dmg file. Am I doing something wrong?

sweh wrote:

The file at https://anonfile.com/v0V2W6bbb3/Dash1.7.1526update.zip appears to be sane.  Chrome reports it as being potentially bad, but it matches the md5 checksum of the update file I had direct from Sony, and matches the md5 listed elsewhere in this forum.

% md5sum Dash1.7.1526update.zip
35f49ae0b19aee592189297039cccd9e  Dash1.7.1526update.zip

:lols: all this time later, I STILL remember that cccd9e hash

dvdan1 wrote:

I just tried it again and got the same result - It's an AdobeFlashPlayerInstaller.dmg file. Am I doing something wrong?

I just tried the link that sweh posted, worked for me.

I have an issue with the time on my Chumbyized Dash. I am in the Eastern Time Zone, and the time did not adjust itself when Daylight Saving Time went into effect. Therefore, my clock is 1 hour behind the actual time. Is there a way to fix this? I cannot find a way to set the time manually. Thanks for any info!

First, many heartfelt thanks for providing this information for unbricking the SONY Dash. My Dash has been sitting in my garage the past 4 years after SONY bricked it and replaced it with a dumb alarm clock. I held onto it in the hope that it could be resurrected some day. This weekend I decided to go online to see what people were saying about hacking the Dash and I found this project. I downloaded the necessary update and unbrick files and successfully booted the Dash to the point where the system asked me to connect it to the Internet. The device displayed available wireless connections just fine, but when I tried to connect to my own network I got the message "network connection failed" "internet is unreachable."

I then spent hours upon hours looking for solutions. As per some suggestions I found online, I made sure my router was set up to receive b connections, and I tried unsuccessfully to connect to my phone as a hotspot. I read through all 9 pages on the UNBRICK YOUR HID-C10 DASH topic, and I saw that some individuals had successfully connected to the Internet while others were waiting for the Chumby software for the Dash. Of course that software is available here, four years after the initial announcement about unbricking, but I hesitated to install it when my basic Internet connectivity was not working.

Finally, after exhausting all solutions for connecting my Dash to the Internet, I figured I might as well install the Chumby software.

And, of course, it worked perfectly. My Chumbyized Dash is connected to the Internet and registered to the Chumby site. I will probably subscribe out of gratitude for all of your hard work to re-animate the SONY Dash.

May I suggest that you update the installation instructions for unbricking by adding after

11. When it's complete, it should have successfully updated the device.

something like

12. [Note: You will know your device is successfully updated when your clock is displayed. You will not be able to connect to a wireless network until you install the Chumby software for the Dash.]

Adding point 12 may save people time and consternation about achieving Internet connectivity.

Again, many thanks.

This is an old HIDC10 which has been running as a clock only with the Star Trek theme the past few years. At some point it became non-responsive to touch screen. One time it showed the screen upside down (if I turned it over, it flipped the screen again), but a restart cured that. After a recent power outage it had only a blank screen. On startup it'll do "Starting up, please wait" and the 8 dots, then blank screen. I haven't been able to get past this. I tried just doing an update (not allowed to post link, see viewtopic.php id=9843) but it never looked like it was trying to install anything, just showed the 8 dots and then blank screen.

So I tried the unbrick in this thread even if symptoms don't quite match. Checksums match, filename good, however no matter how long I hold down the snooze button while powering up it never shows Special Options, even briefly. I do think the button works because it did say "Hold for 3 seconds". It never says anything, just the dots and the blank screen. The USB Flash drive access light does flash from time to time. Eventually I moved the flash back to my laptop and found a 21MB file unbrick.log.txt. It looks like it has been repeatedly trying to unbrick.

Does this indicate a hardware issue with the touch screen? Would that prevent unbricking?

2021-07-04 15:10:20 TouchscreenObject::AssureTouchscreen() - open(/dev/input/event0) failed, falling back to /dev/ts - errno = 19 (No such device)
2021-07-04 15:10:20 TouchscreenObject::AssureTouchscreen() - could not open /dev/ts, cannot continue. Errno = 19 (No such device)
2021-07-04 15:10:20 ChumbyPipeObject::ChumbyPipeCleanup() starting, g_send = 0x00698998 g_recv = 7
2021-07-04 15:10:20 ChumbyPipeObject::ChumbyPipeCleanup() closing chumbpipe 0x006986a0
2021-07-04 15:10:20 ChumbyPipeObject::ChumbyPipeCleanup() completed
2021-07-04 15:10:20 Start time: 2021-07-04 15:10:20
2021-07-04 15:10:20 End time  : 2021-07-04 15:10:20

downloaded the only copy of dash1.7.1526update.xip that I could find online. Size is 97.0 MB (101,776,156 bytes) and 97.0 MB (101,777,408 bytes) on disk. Th zip drive installed ok, but the Dashrefuses to connect to the internet. The Network name and password is correct. Tried the password in both hex and Ascii. I had unbricked the dash before and it worked, but would disconnect from the internet several times a day

215 (edited by beyv 2022-06-30 04:41:49)

"here" link doesn't work.  Is this still a functioning link?  I get an address at the bottom of my screen that says chumby.com.dash.unbrick.unbrick_20170715_1.zip but it doesn't go to that link when I click on "here."  It doesn't do anything, much like my brick sony dash, that has no touch control, other than volume and an alarm that has no
control and doesn't allow anything other than display of random time that's not accurate anywhere.

beyv wrote:

"here" link doesn't work.  Is this still a functioning link?  I get an address at the bottom of my screen that says chumby.com.dash.unbrick.unbrick_20170715_1.zip but it doesn't go to that link when I click on "here."  It doesn't do anything, much like my brick sony dash, that has no touch control, other than volume and an alarm that has no
control and doesn't allow anything other than display of random time that's not accurate anywhere.

I'm not sure what link you clicked on, but the one sweh posted above on this page works.

I went to one of the posts above your reply and saw a link to anonfiles and downloaded it there.  Thank You for responding.  Going back to review the procedure before I start.