Re: UNBRICK YOUR HID-C10 DASH

Well, I've tried a half-dozen USB sticks and some indicate activity and most don't.

Can anyone recommend a type/brand that works reliably?

MPW1971 wrote:

Well, I've tried a half-dozen USB sticks and some indicate activity and most don't.

What model is your Dash?

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

I am considering taking a crack at this, too. I have a Sony Dash HID-C10. I gather I should start by getting a SanDisk USB drive. If this works, it will essentially work only as a clock then, unless I subscribe to something else?

Even if not subscribed, ChumDash can do time, weather, calendar and internet music. You can also play music/videos from jump drive. Not just a clock by any means. Subscription adds many many apps. Duane has enabled a dead legacy gadget to do amazing things.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

I was able to get this going. Thank you for the help.

181 (edited by demarks51 2018-02-12 09:11:40)

MPW1971 wrote:

There people waiting to help you Chumbyize if you will give specifics to what you are doing at this point. There is a step by step manner to do this. If you follow the instructions correctly you can make it  happen. There are a few variables that the folks here may be able to help you with also. Dash units are not as finicky as Chumbys when it comes to jump drives. Main thing is to make sure you have a HID C-10 and not a B model. B's cannot be fixed at this time. Then you must have the right Firmware version.
firmware version 1.7.1526
Then apply the chumby software.
See: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9843
Most name brand jump drives should work and even some no name ones work.

182 (edited by Placebo 2018-02-12 21:05:50)

MPW1971 wrote:

[Edit]    Hey MPW1971 -  I'm fairly certain the problem was with the size of the USB drive for a similar issue when Sony last actually did anything for users.

-------------

Call me stupid, but I 'think' I recall something about the size of USB stick you're using, and not involving anything about the brand.   (Anyone?

Find the smallest USB stick you might have laying around, of course - big enough to contain the file though.  Now days... it's hard to find anything smaller than 8gb's.  I've kept some around ranging from 256k - to 2gb's just for weird things like this.

Can't hurt to try ... if you got a small one laying around - even 1, 2, or 4gb.

Take a look at chumby.com and browse the apps/widgets that are available after applying the chumby patch that's explained in this thread: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9843

diamaunt wrote:

Take a look at chumby.com and browse the apps/widgets that are available after applying the chumby patch that's explained in this thread: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9843

I had posted a completely different post of my experience thinking I was good to go. 

I got through almost all the installation process, except missing setting up the control panel for various reasons.

At any rate... it doesn't work.  I have no weather, and the commands won't work either.

- I tried starting up with the USB stick
   - Uninstall
      - Install Chumby
But Im not taken through the "authentication" process. The process takes me straight to the control panel.

I suspect I'm going to have to "Deactivate" first before I can go through the set up process?  And as I'm trying things as I type - it appears I'm going to have to have my Chumby ID number that I didn't write down.   (GRRR)

dead paper weight again.

Placebo wrote:

And as I'm trying things as I type - it appears I'm going to have to have my Chumby ID number that I didn't write down.   (GRRR)

dead paper weight again.

Or, you could just pick the unit out of the ones that are registered to your account, and hit 'delete'. (on the chumby.com page)

186 (edited by Placebo 2018-02-13 18:09:02)

diamaunt wrote:
Placebo wrote:

And as I'm trying things as I type - it appears I'm going to have to have my Chumby ID number that I didn't write down.   (GRRR)

dead paper weight again.

Or, you could just pick the unit out of the ones that are registered to your account, and hit 'delete'. (on the chumby.com page)

I did.  I happen to find it when I went to unregister.  But doesn't seem to matter since some of the "commands" aren't responding, and the control panel doesn't allow weather.

So... weather must be one of those "purchasable" apps?  (by means of subscription - I mean)  And yes... I went in to the weather and made sure my locale was input correctly.

What "commands" are not working for you?

Weather in the Control Panel itself does not require a subscription.

Duane wrote:

What "commands" are not working for you?

Weather in the Control Panel itself does not require a subscription.

Sooo..... my weather just doesn't work?  What should I be looking for with weather?  As I mentioned - my city was already in the settings when I looked.  Everything for weather just says "undefined"

I would recommend explicitly setting the weather cities again rather than rely on the older settings, which were for the Sony software.

Duane wrote:

I would recommend explicitly setting the weather cities again rather than rely on the older settings, which were for the Sony software.

PRE-QUESTION:  When you announced this possible solution for Dash users months ago - weren't you also considering some kind of "family" pricing?

Thank you for your assistance and mostly... your patience.  One, I've been responding quickly out of frustration and Two, I've not been thorough to include pertinent info.  I realize this really... should be an easy process.

I actually had re-entered my location, probably two or three times, including deleting the original, but it never produced successful results.  However, I figured it out, and most likely - it's why aspects of commands and command buttons were either slow, and/or not functioning at all.

DISCOVERY & RESOLUTION:

~ This is what I did ~   (Done after first installation)
(1) Removed Dash device from Chumby site.  (2) Uninstalled Chumby software from Dash with uninstaller.  (3) Redid the install process with Chumby installer. 
           ~ I did all this, and the weather still wouldn't do anything ~

~ This is what I discovered ~
The Chumby installer took me through setting/confirming our network the first time, but it did not after I reinstalled Chumby software the second time.  I don't know why? 

So weather data wasn't getting to the Dash. I think "network connectivity" finally clicked with me after realizing I had been looking at "UNDEFINED" all over the weather area of Chumby control panel (I had mentioned this before) but of course - it wasn't the only possible issue.

~  fine' ~       
                                                    ... I hope. Now I have to do my wife's dash...

... and now, to also consider if $80 per year (or even $40) is worth having eight year old apps on our alarm clocks. 

I appreciate Chumby's efforts to help Dash customers, but was disappointed after seeing there's really nothing new, and the apps that are there - are still archaic, with poor UI's,  and some don't even function. We might be able to justify $10/yr - "maybe"... $20/yr for a family subscription, but $40 or $80... we'll be assessing.

LAST QUESTION
There's not even a way to preview apps (ON our Dash's) without paying, to see if they're even worth having, is there?

You can have as many devices registered to the one account as you like, all for the same flat super-cheap price.  So you can have you and your wife's Dash for $36/year.  You can even create different channels so they show different things.

For a price of $3.00 a month, you can have as many devices connected that you want. 1 to ?. Mix and match Chumby and Dash products for the same low, low price which includes free lifetime support with or without a subscription!

Most apps can be previewed at the app store. Go to the apps and click on one you like. There is usually a preview of it and you can interact with it. Try several and see how you like them. For $3 a month you can have every single one of them or as many as you like for every device in your account. Take a nice deep breath and enjoy the Dash with its new life. The longer you hang out with the Chums the better you will like it. No need to get frustrated. Someone is bound to figure out what helps you need. Just keep in mind that all that you see in the apps would not be there at all if Duane had not found a way to preserve the ecosystem. Most on the forum are very grateful for all that we HAVE and try not to complain about what we DON"T HAVE.

demarks51 wrote:

Most apps can be previewed at the app store. Go to the apps and click on one you like. There is usually a preview of it and you can interact with it. Try several and see how you like them. For $3 a month you can have every single one of them or as many as you like for every device in your account. Take a nice deep breath and enjoy the Dash with its new life. The longer you hang out with the Chums the better you will like it. No need to get frustrated. Someone is bound to figure out what helps you need. Just keep in mind that all that you see in the apps would not be there at all if Duane had not found a way to preserve the ecosystem. Most on the forum are very grateful for all that we HAVE and try not to complain about what we DON"T HAVE.

(Interesting?? I didn't get notified of any of these follow up messages, even though I show I'm subscribed to this topic)

I realize I can ruffle feathers, but I kinda feel as if I've just been "spanked," and being told to -- "put up" and shut up"?   ;-)   I've already mentioned several times I was grateful to have a (somewhat) more functional device.  Maybe that's just been overlooked?  Anyway...

Quick Note:
In the short time of having Chumby on our Dash's - I've already noticed  (for lack of better words) a few coding bugs, and UI bugs.  Is there somewhere to report those, or perhaps... I should leave those unsaid?

** I'll preface my next question with this one:
I had mentioned this, but I don't think I saw a response?  I don't think there is - but is there no actual trial period to first test drive things?
         (Maybe you might get even more subscriptions if you had a preview or
          test period?  If you allow someone to set up channels & apps, a person
          might be more readily commit to a subscription after having taken time
          to more thoroughly set up their account?
)

** Yes... I'm aware of (A) seeing apps first online, but that's when they "work" online.  I found several not working.  <--- Another reason for test period.  (B) I'm also aware and know of setting up channels.  (It was the same with Sony)

** Seeing sometimes 8 year old app graphics in a 2"x2" viewing area on a desktop monitor can look and act different when viewed on a Dash.  The apps are meant for a completely different screen resolution, which a "test drive" period would certainly help with this.

** I was incorrect about subscription amount and process.  I swore I read $4 per month, but charged by year.  $3 to $4 is not a big difference, but I swore I read differently.  At any rate - I now stand corrected!  :-)  :-)   :-)

I guess a paid month of testing would be possible, however, I still think a week or two of testing wouldn't be much to consider offering, and allow a real experience.

For Certain
One - I'm new here.  That's a "big" given.
Secondly, most importantly: PLEASE don't read into ANYTHING by the length of my posts.  I'm too detailed and EXTREMELY HORRIBLE and WORDY with email and posts.  Oddly enough - long emails & posts are one of my biggest pet peeves.  LOL... what a hypocrite I am.   ;-)

Placebo wrote:

but is there no actual trial period to first test drive things?

Yes, there is no actual "trial" period.

Placebo wrote:

(Maybe you might get even more subscriptions if you had a preview or
          test period?  If you allow someone to set up channels & apps, a person
          might be more readily commit to a subscription after having taken time
          to more thoroughly set up their account?)

No. And you're quibbling over *THREE DOLLARS*.

diamaunt wrote:

No. And you're quibbling over *THREE DOLLARS*.

This is a shining example of why customer service people go insane.

'Placebo', I'll be glad to take your Dash off your hands so you can go on with your life.

Dashes have been working on the Chumby server for some time now. Months? And someone shows up after the long process of rescuing these otherwise useless gadgets (abandoned by Sony), and they act like they have been cheated by the rescurer? 17 posts and you are now an "expert" on how the Chumby-World should operate?
Just a little humility would work just fine now. And gratitude. Blue Octy is one person (Duane) who invested himself and his finances into keeping this little somewhat "outdated" tech from going dark.
Anyone on this forum is willing to hear about improvements that can be made to the ecosystem. It is open-source so you or anyone else can add something of value. But most of the ones who have been around here for a while are little weary of the complainers that pop up from time to time. As if Duane and Company "owe" any of us anything. I am trying NOT to lecture you but an attitude seems to there that you *may* be unsatisfied with what the Dash has become (postmortem). There are people on this forum who would be willing to take that Dash off you hands and you can move on to bigger and better gadgets. Everything you see in the ChumbyWorld now is because of Duane and his loyal volunteers.
Better yet, why not take the time to look around this forum and see what others are doing and saying and see if you would like to learn and contribute to this forum. I don't want to chase you away. Just look and listen a little. You might actually like what is being done.

Sorry one more thing:
A trial subscription is not necessary. You have had a lot of time to check out all the apps Sony had provided for you for free. Many of the apps became unusable by the day. The service is back up with more than Sony was able to provide and new ones are being added from time to time. As people inform, the apps that can be fixed are being corrected. Those that could not are being dropped. This is not a *perfect* world here. But there are plenty of satisfied Chums here.
Deal of the Day:
Today you can subscribe for the low cost of $3 for the next 30 days. If you are not satisfied, you can cancel at any time. Or you can continue to subscribe for the continued low introductory price of just $3 per month. I can't think of another subscription service that can beat that deal.

The reasoning about why we don't offer a "trial period":

1) Practically all chumby users are veterans - it is rare to have a first time chumby user, since we haven't manufactured devices in quite a long time.  The assumption was the people already knew what exactly the chumby service was, and we were offering exactly what we were before, just with a charge.  From a widget standpoint, the chumby service is superior to the dash service, since we did update and add widgets, while the Sony offering has been unchanged since around 2012.  We're not perfect, of course, but then again there's absolutely nothing stopping developers for creating and updating widgets.  Many of the current holes in the offering have nothing to do with chumby, but rather the generally closing of third party APIs by most major on-line services (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc etc).

2) There is some coding complexity with offering trial periods - when do we capture the credit card, can we keep sufficient authorization tokens to defer a payment until the end of the trial period, etc?

3) There are customer service issues - one of the biggest is people calling the day after the trial period ends, saying they really meant to cancel, but didn't, and now want a refund.  We incur fees for *every* transaction, both for charges *and* refunds, and at $3 the fees are actually a significant fraction of the overall charge.

There is sufficient information available for someone to write their own Control Panel and create their own ecosystem to compete with chumby's.  The fundamental hack that allows the dash to use the chumby systems is not tied to chumby.com at all.

200 (edited by ccchuck 2018-02-16 18:58:52)

Placebo said, "In the short time of having Chumby on our Dash's - I've already noticed  (for lack of better words) a few coding bugs, and UI bugs..."

Sure, because the chumby/dash world is being pasted back together after neglect and just plain old "quit" by sony.
Those of us who luv these gadgets, and I will admit that might be prima facie evidence of mental impairment, are delighted at what's happen so far, and have faith that more will follow, e.g., I'm sure Duane is really tired of me mentioning "https", but it wasn't that long ago that all the screens went dark.

As I have mentioned before I have an echo show, its great, but my chum-dashes still do stuff I prefer. The $3 fee for keeping them alive and to be able to show up wanting more is the best bargain on the net.
As someone who's name will not be mentioned says there is a always a door marked exit.