Re: clock/speaker from sony for dash shutdown.

FranksMama wrote:

I got my speaker today, too.   I got boring black.   I feel like Charlie Brown at Halloween.  "I got a rock."

In all fairness... it's a fairly decent sounding rock big_smile

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

^ They sound good enough that I am tempted to get a second one to run in stereo at a vacation home.  But they're overpriced, and I don't particularly want to do business with Sony in the aftermath of the brick-the-Dash fiasco.

drew wrote:

^ They sound good enough that I am tempted to get a second one to run in stereo at a vacation home.  But they're overpriced, and I don't particularly want to do business with Sony in the aftermath of the brick-the-Dash fiasco.

That's my thought, they sound pretty good, and usually work ok in stereo, though I get a lot of dropouts... maybe it's all these chumbys and dashes I've got around me all using the same wireless spectrum big_smile

54 (edited by miadlor 2017-08-03 14:49:12)

Got my clock/radio and the alarm doesn't  work. You can barely hear a beeping noise if you put your ear on it. They're making me jump through hoops now for an exchange.

I got the "cheap" clock radio as compensation for one of my Dash units.  If you can get them to send you a bluetooth speaker, I would go with that.  The clock radio is a single alarm and very basic.  I was hoping it would work until Duane releases the new software but I'm starting to look for another option. 

I think using the DASH as a basic clock (no internet connection) is a much better option than the basic clock SONY is offering as a replacement.

Got the speaker yesterday.  For its size the sound is pretty darn good. That said, I also have a Wonderboom and for the price it is a better sounding, easier to use, easier to pair and much better built speaker.  Similar size,

Still no clock, here.  Maybe it does not really matter, from what miadlor and das335 are saying.

Anyone try getting either replacement product recently?  I called asking if the bluetooth speakers is still available, he said yes, but I'd have to return the Dash units to them.  Thinking maybe he was mistaken, I decided to go through having them create a registration or whatever it is they do, thinking they'd require me to email the serial #'s as stated in OP.  I was at work when I called and didn't have serial #'s handy.  The guy said no, he needs the serial #'s over the phone, so I told him I'd have to call him back because this is not the procedure I read online.

Was this guy wrong, or do they really now require the Dash units back?

This is the first time we've heard of them wanting the devices back.  Did they offer to pay for shipping?

They may have figured out that people were still using their dashes after getting the replacement speakers.

60 (edited by oldguy 2017-09-22 14:43:51)

I had 2 Dashes, they sent me 2 of the speakers (not great, nor horrible) without incident a few weeks back, a couple of weeks later they sent me this:

Our records indicate that you’ve recently had your Sony® product, HIDC10, exchanged and we want to hear from you.

We invite you to participate in our quick survey by selecting Take the Survey.

At Sony, we place a high value on customer satisfaction. We would like to know which areas we have met your needs, as well as, which areas you believe we can improve. Your opinion is important and all information obtained will contribute to how Sony shapes your future service experiences. Our goal is to better align our services more closely with your needs and expectations.

We know your time is valuable and thank you in advance for your participation.

Sincerely,

Tim McGowan
Vice President
Post-Sales Support & Promotion
Sony Electronics Inc.

If I really thought they actually gave a flying fart about my opinion, I might have responded. As it is, I assume all they'll do is use whatever information they collect to further screw consumers over. It'll be a cold day before I knowingly spend another dime on a Sony product.

Has anyone else responded?

Without the wizardry of Duane & Co, I'd only have a pair of $60 Sony speakers that sound almost as good as my $30 Anker, instead of the 2 speakers and 2 functional Chumdashes.

Thanks again Duane!

Called back today.  Got someone different, this time someone with a Northeastern American accent instead of an Indian accent so I knew it was definitely a different guy.  This guy got everything set up, which took a VERY long time (half hour at least), but it wasn't until the very end that he told me they will be emailing me prepaid shipping labels and they will send out the Wireless Speakers when they receive the Dashes.  I told him online people said they didn't have to send the Dash units back, and I asked if this is a new policy.  He said it is, and I will have to send them back to get the speakers.

Oh well, guess I should have jumped on this much earlier now that they've changed the policy.

I like my dashes and rather keep them than get wireless speakers, so I will just ignore the emails.

Will Sony just dump the collected Dash units when they receive them? They're paying to get their non-functioning Dash units back? The sound from the Dash is much better than the BT speakers. A $20 (or less) speaker for a $100 Dash. Wow! How generous! Someone find the dump site where they will be dumping the used Dashes. (If anyone will really sends one back.)

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

demarks51 wrote:

The sound from the Dash is much better than the BT speakers. )

The speakers I got sound much much much better than the dash.

I recently returned to this forum after trying to get my old Sony Dash going. Does anybody happen to know if they are open on Saturday? If not, I will call Monday and look into getting the speaker. Hopefully, they don't make me ship my old Sony Dash to them!

65 (edited by demarks51 2018-02-10 10:14:06)

The first post on this was a while back. Let me refresh that post.

FOR REAL. Sony is offering a replacement product for EACH of the Dash units you own.
Call 1-239-245-6374 and get a reference number for CS person.
You then need to have your serial number. You will need to send them a picture of the serial number from the unit. I took two pictures, one from the back tag near the power supply entry and one from the Device Info screen on the unit. This is to be sent to:
STVSP@AM.SONY.COM
Then you can chose a Bluetooth Speaker
https://www.sony.com/electronics/wirele … s/srs-xb10

or
Clock radio similar to this one
https://www.sony.com/electronics/clock-radios/icf-c1

Don't know if there was a cutoff date for doing this. It was back in June when I posted about this. Can't remember if they are open on Saturday but even IF, you are probably best served with following the above instructions to send in info to see if this still works.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

I did call the number listed and speak with a Customer Service Representative. I was sort o f up in the air whether I should keep the Sony Dash or return it for a speaker. I was told, if I wanted to do that, they needed the serial number and they would send a shipping label. Upon receipt of the Sony Dash, the speaker would be shipped.

After applying the Chumby software, I am inclined to keep the Sony Dash Chumby. It can stay in the house displaying the time and the weather in a few select locations.

I still haven't subscribed, but I will probably do that soon just to get a feel for what all is available, now that it is in the Chumby extended family.

Again, thanks to everybody here for the helpful information. Prior to this past weekend, my Sony Dash was in the basement gathering dust. Now that it is a Sony Dash Chumby, it is on the main level of the house with a purpose in life again.

Glad to hear it is getting used again.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.