Topic: Alarmclock - Mp3s

Just a question on how the alarm clock is going to work...

is the mp3 to be played loaded onto the flash on the chumby? or is it going to streamed from somewhere else? i personal think that 64 megs is rather restrictive for that sort of thing.

Re: Alarmclock - Mp3s

Well, you're not really supposed to store anything on the chumby itself.  It's designed primarily to be a lightweight "player" of external content.

In the case of MP3s and other bulky media, the intent is that it's Somewhere Else (on the network somewhere, or on some USB device) and played through the device.

From another post:

At the moment, the 64MB is partitioned to allow us to restore the unit to factory settings - pretty typical for a prototype unit that has experimental software running.

I just checked and we're using 91% of the partition that's normally booted.  That doesn't mean that we're running out of space - it means there may be some stuff we don't need or we need to repartition.

Duane wrote:

Well, you're not really supposed to store anything on the chumby itself.  It's designed primarily to be a lightweight "player" of external content.

In the case of MP3s and other bulky media, the intent is that it's Somewhere Else (on the network somewhere, or on some USB device) and played through the device.

i can see that being an issue for people who dont have a computer on all the time, or dont have a usb stick..

Hmm. perhaps somewhere online is the best place to put them. Plan on hosting any mp3s?

We have no intention of hosting MP3s, any more than we intend to host photos, or other media types besides the widgets.  There are already really good sites out there that do all that already and there's no point in us trying to do yet-another-one even if we had the development bandwidth.  People already have their content on other sites - let's use that!  The goal is to partner to integrate access to services into ours.

For instance, there's MP3tunes that seems ideally suited to this sort of use.

We've already been approached by a number of important content companies interested in offering their content through our device, just since FOO.

How much is sticking another 64MB of NAND in there going to cost?

Bringing the amount of storage space upto 128MB would make it a lot more useful for those who needed to store some additional information on the Chumby (maybe a few songs for different days of the week?)

Accessing multimedia content from an external service provider (i.e. from the internet) is not a viable solution for many people. In Australia (where I live) we have limits to the amount of data that we can download. Also, a 256kbit/64kbit download/upload link is considered "broadband" here, and many people use links of this speed. I am still on dial up - pulling multimedia content from an external provider is pretty much impossible!

Whilst pulling RSS feeds and images from content providers is a more than acceptable solution, in my opinion, I think it's vital to bring as much of the content to the local computer as possible.

Well, so far, we've had people insist that we "need" more SDRAM, more NAND Flash, an ethernet port, Bluetooth, Firewire, a larger display, a keyboard, batteries, bigger speakers, a faster processor, video acceleration, more USB ports, etc.

All of these are "just a little bit more cost" - but they all add up, and some of them aren't actually small at all.  Considering our current BOM is quite a bit larger than our target price, it's unlikely that a lot of new features will be added directly to the device unless they're killer.

As bunnie mentioned in another post, we're in the mode of shaving pennies - adding hardware that adds dollars or tens of dollars to the BOM pushes our retail price out to the point where its no longer a viable product.

The way I add storage to my chumby is by adding a USB dongle.

you can pick usb sticks up for pennies. buy an mp3 stick.

duane, i think most of those things you listed are people trying to make chumbdy what its not. only thing that could be useful really are more sdram, more NAND, and ethernet port. but all of these could be added to the chumbilical at a later date. you could make all this stuff, but make chumby as modular as possible. so people like me, that aren't bothered about a few more usb ports, or firewire, dont have to shell out more.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

I think you're right - the problem we're apparently having is that this is a fundamentally *new* device, and it doesn't fit in any existing product category.

People seem to feel the need to assign it to one anyway, and then note the reasons why it fails to meet the requirements of that category.

What's interesting is that there's very little consensus about what existing category it should be in - some folks thinks it's a computer, some people think it's a cellphone, some people think it's a PDA, some people think it's a videogame console.

personally, i see it as an alarm clock, but with more features. its nothing more. i see the battery as a backup, like most alarms have.

i could see a use for a bit more ram and storage, but everything else is just pointless.

id like a few more features than just an alarm clock, like a small web browser.  but id be happy if it displayed my emails on screen when i woke up, and played my mp3s (from a stick or samba share, or whatever).

username is chumby
password is chumby

I see it as a blank canvas device, the iPod without any default software. If I had it the way I wanted it, what would happen is you would build a bunch of different "stations" for it to "dock" with and fall into that mode of usage. Plug it into the default station and it's an alarm clock. Undock it and plug it into a car's dashboard and it becomes ChumbyNav. Unplug it and plug it into the kitchen docking station (built into a coffee maker no doubt) and it becomes ChumbyCooks, the Chumby Cookbook. Take it into the hall and plug it into the thermostat docking station and it becomes your house monitoring station.

Each "station" could have a different set of hardware built into it to allow for the Chumby to have different capabilities when used in that role. A digital compass built from an accelerometer and gyroscope for the car (along with a small extra flash chip to allow for it to store downloaded maps), a thermocouple for the hallway computer, a digitial I/O interface for the kitchen (for turning on and off the coffee maker, etc), or nothing in the case of the alarm clock. Each dock has the capability of charging Chumby (if you use a rechargeable battery with it).

Because the hardware module itself is small and because the platform is so open, you could build a generic "ChumbyConnector" and allow it to connect up with anything you choose, including an iPod, digital camera, whatever. It allows for the device to be as flexible as you want it to be.

Or at least, that's how I intend to modify my Chumby once I get one. I'm working on a lithium ion battery charger based on the schematics I downloaded from the site, and I intend to modify my Chumby (when I get it) to run off 1 or 2 1800mAh batteries from iPod battery replacement kits.

The point of it is, you don't have to add modifications to the base unit. Build it as cheaply and generically as possible, and let the users build modifications for it, and possibly resell them if they choose to. This allows the device to literally become as flexible as possible, while still being cheap enough that people will want to buy them.

12 (edited by roncri 2006-08-30 23:43:53)

awalton wrote:

I see it as a blank canvas device, the iPod without any default software. ....

You know, that makes a lot of sense.  Looking at it as a dockable wireless display.  Just look at all the add-ons that http://www.griffintechnology.com/ makes.

Dock it into the "home theater" dock and you can stream music to your stereo.  I imagine that it would be a lot easier to dock to than an iPOD since it's not a proprietary adapter, just USB. That could create a huge secondary market.

awalton, that seems a good idea, but very expensive. it could be something to work on. its whether it has the processing power to do GPS though.

all of them could run off the mains, except the car one, but i reckon you could pull the power straight out of a cigarette socket.

username is chumby
password is chumby