Re: Sony LED

thanks to Duane to all this work, but I would be the happiest person if a way to resurrect the Sony led logo were founded... that´s the only thing that I think is missing... I don't like this logo turned off on chumby's, and this situation forces me (personally) to preffer sony simple desk clock instead chumby... I preferred logo turned on, but it would be great if some update could resurrect the sony logo again on chumby's

Hope Duane can helps us on this too

Topic: Sony LED

does anyone has found a way to light up the Sony led logo? the work is fine and I appreciate the situation of the dash has been resurrected through chumby, but I miss a lot the Sony logo turned on...

I'm analyzing the files into the oficial's Sony "update.zip" firmware 1.7.1526 looking forward for some file that enables de led logo but can't recognize anything, in order to try to use that file to enable our sony logo on chumby software... but nothing yet, any extra ideas???

if an chumby update with Sony logo turned on comes out (or someone can apport on explaining how to make that possible).
I would definitely suscribe for $3 monthly... in the meantime I think I'll stay unsuscribed,

(please help us chumby staff! big_smile)

I think you are the first person to complain about Sony logo being off. I don't think your $3 a month is likely to convince anyone to update the software to do this.Most people here are kinda fed up with Sony. I would think most people coming from the Song Dash world were happy to resurrect the units and forget about the Sony logo. Is there some reason you need this logo lit?
There may be a workaround but I wouldn't know about that. I would not be interested in knowing that.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

demarks51 wrote:

I think you are the first person to complain about Sony logo being off. I don't think your $3 a month is likely to convince anyone to update the software to do this.Most people here are kinda fed up with Sony. I would think most people coming from the Song Dash world were happy to resurrect the units and forget about the Sony logo. Is there some reason you need this logo lit?
There may be a workaround but I wouldn't know about that. I would not be interested in knowing that.

thanks for the response, about the susbscription it's just my personal way to think (i'm grateful with this work and I think is amazing to get a part of our dashes working again) but I can't enjoy my dash as I want with Sony logo turned off (I do'nt need it it al, but I miss it, I thinks it looks great, and I think that with logo turned off is just a generical dash with no brand at all, loose all the status)... and with this feeling I don't consider profitable spending money on my dash, but thats my personal way to think and feel about this situation, never tryed to convince trhough subscription the chumby staff, I know a 3 usd monthly subscription has no impact at all...

if sometime you per casuallity find that workaround job you're referring to, I would really appreciate sharing the info, I've been looking on internet but nothing yet.

To turn on the LED, you can SSH into the device and issue the command:

logoled 1

To turn it off:

logoled 0

This executable is where you'd expect it to be, in /usr/bin

However, the Control Panel may during its normal operation turn the LED off again, and not turn it back on, such as going into and out of Night Mode, or laying the device on its back, etc.  If you're feeling developy, you can probably put together a cron task to force the LED every second or so.

Also, this command doesn't survive a reboot.

bernie_alvarez wrote:

(I do'nt need it it al, but I miss it, I thinks it looks great, and I think that with logo turned off is just a generical dash with no brand at all, loose all the status)

As one who Sony dumped as so much corporate jetsom, I am glad it stays off.  I don't need to be reminded of my "status" at Sony.

Duane wrote:

To turn on the LED, you can SSH into the device and issue the command:

logoled 1

To turn it off:

logoled 0

This executable is where you'd expect it to be, in /usr/bin

However, the Control Panel may during its normal operation turn the LED off again, and not turn it back on, such as going into and out of Night Mode, or laying the device on its back, etc.  If you're feeling developy, you can probably put together a cron task to force the LED every second or so.

Also, this command doesn't survive a reboot.

Thanks Duane! you rock! could you explain me with detail the "you can SSH into the device" part... and the directory /usr/bin?? is a folder to be created on a USB or where is located?? not clear for me the instructions, I'm a rookie with logic sense but i'm not a programmer it all

I already googled SSH but I don't have any knowleadge about secure Shell, and I don't know how to create an SSH command (if that the supposed thing to do, don't even know that certainly)... and if this command is plugged in via USB or how... no idea of anything speaking sincerelly

"into the device" only option closer I've seen: menú/settings/device info/pi... but is not SSH, is SSHD and no option to input text...

So, very glad to know that it's a way to solve this issue, but not clear it all the how to,

hope you can help me with more detail on the instructions,

Thanks, really thanks in advance

bernie_alvarez wrote:

could you explain me with detail the "you can SSH into the device" part..

https://wiki.chumby.com/index.php?title … the_chumby

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

I already downloaded PuTTY, (I use Windows), and I'm trying to follow instructions, I think that I understand the mechanic now, trough PuTTY on mi PC I have to send the command to the dash, but I don't know how to use PuTTY, I'm able to get on the black PuTTY screen after:

- input the IP of my dash on: session --> Host name (or IP address)
- on label: conection --> SSH --> command: input "logoled 1"

then a pop up window appears on black color:

login as:

(no idea what to do after, or if I started wrong or if something is missing since the beginning)...

on --> wiki.chumby.com/index.php?title=Chumby_tricks#Open_a_secure_shell_.28SSH.29_console_on_the_chumby

I tried to follow the "open a secure Shell (SSH) console on the chumby" instructions, typing: "ssh 192.168.1.XX -1 root" but a password is required... can't type anything from here, after 5 enters an error due to several times with incorrect password appears and then just closes the PuTTY program,

Could you tell me how use PuTTY to follow instructions please?

bernie_alvarez wrote:

: "ssh 192.168.1.XX -1 root" but a password is required...

That's supposed to be a lower case L, not a 1 up there.

diamaunt wrote:
bernie_alvarez wrote:

could you explain me with detail the "you can SSH into the device" part..

https://wiki.chumby.com/index.php?title … the_chumby

thanks for the link Janitor, I already try to do that, and no success yet, starting to understand a little PuTTY program but no clue what is missing before launch the profile, or what I'm doing wrong...

I start SSHD from the dash on hidden control panel screen (chumby octopus winks)

then I go to network on device to get IP adress

then on PuTTY (PC):

-session label I input the IP address shown on the dash, port 22, connection type SSH
    -logging label: no changes (default options)

-terminal: no changes from default options

-window: no changes from default options

-connection label/SSH: Remote command: logoled 1
          SSH protocol options (tried 2 and 1 (insecure) options...

then click to open, a black window appears with login as:

login as: ssh 192.168.1.XXX -1 root, then enter:

ssh 192.168.1.254 -1 root@192.168.1.75's password:

and here I get stucked... can´t input anything but enter, after 5 tries, window shut off due to many attempts with incorrect password...

what I'm doing wrong?

hope can help,

thenks in advance.

diamaunt wrote:
bernie_alvarez wrote:

thanks, tried that too, and ask password... which can´t let me input anything but "enter" --> "Access denied" error

Not sure what to tell you - by default there's no password for root.

bernie_alvarez wrote:
diamaunt wrote:
bernie_alvarez wrote:

thanks, tried that too, and ask password... which can´t let me input anything but "enter" --> "Access denied" error

If it's asking for a password, then you're not using -l, you're using -1, as you typed.

try this instead:
ssh root@192.168.1.XX
instead

I'm still stuck on this... any other way or idea to get the logo on?

You might want to try WinSCP instead of PuTTY. I personally find it easier to use.

At least for my setup, I use the following:
File protocol: SFTP
Host name: 192.168.1.155
Port number: 22
User name: root
Password: (leave blank)

Replace the host name with the IP address of your Dash.

Under the Command menu item, there is an Open Terminal choice, which, I think, will let you enter the command you need to turn the LED on and off, which appears to be logoled 1 based on what was written earlier.

Note, I have not tried this, so I can't verify it will work.

17 (edited by riblet2000 2018-01-08 17:35:45)

I just tested it on mine using PuTTY and it worked fine.

• Start the SSH server using the instructions provided in the wiki.  Leave it in that screen.

• Connect to the IP address of the device using port 22, e. g. 192.168.1.117 in the "Host Name (or IP address)" box and in the "port" box: 22. Use your device's LAN address.

• Connection type: SSH

• Login: root

• Once you get the command line prompt, type logoled 1 to turn it on, logoled 0 to turn it off.

That's it!

I'm thinking someone could come up with a debugchumby script for a usb stick, that just runs in the background and tries to turn the led on every minute... then the whole ssh thing wouldn't be needed.

Exercise for the community smile

diamaunt wrote:

I'm thinking someone could come up with a debugchumby script for a usb stick, that just runs in the background and tries to turn the led on every minute... then the whole ssh thing wouldn't be needed.

Exercise for the community smile

that would be great! I'm about to start trying again with the new tips posted... mi device is not rooted, it has to be rooted??

well, thanks all for helping!! let u know when I succeed

I finally did it!!! thanks all for your help, I did it through putty, whan asked me to log as in black window... instead type

ssh 192.168.1.XX -l root

I only type root...

a lot of information next, and when cursor appears again I just typed logoled 1, and voilá

Now I'm going to open mi account! thanks everyone for helping me!!