Topic: new sony dash replacment rules..

i called sony today to redeem te speaker replacment offer on my 3rd dash unit.

the first two they just asked for he serial number and a photo of the serial to be sent.

this time, they insisted the offer had changed and said i would need to return the unit to them in order to receive the speaker.

has anyone else encountered this? they honored the offer 2 times for me before and told me to call with the info when i located my 3rd unit.

i escalated the case to a supervisor and should get a call tomorrow, i will update to let you all know if they refuse to send a speaker without returning the dash.

obviously, the speaker softens the anger over sonys shoddy service, but its no replacement.

Re: new sony dash replacment rules..

I've heard that Sony has changed their tune about the Dash "replacement". I got 3 red BT speakers and still have 3 ChumDash units working good. The speakers really don't *replace* a Dash in anyway. What is Sony doing with the Dash units? Sending them to the dump? It only adds to their cost to ship item back and to send the speaker. They probably heard about the ChumDash fix and didn't want to give anything away unless you really can't use the Dash. This makes Sony look even worse.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

They called today and are going to think it over for a day or two. Im hoping they will honor their word and send me the replacment item without expecting the dash returned, just like the other 2 i completed cases for. The speakers were for the annoiance of discontinuing the servers and services, not a true replacment of the dash item, its still a usable clock radio, just not how they sold it with all the bells and whistles. The speaker was barely an acceptable apology.. they seem to be recinding the offer now that the dash has been given a second life, but they should be honoring the offer for everyone in a uniform fashion or idk..

Agreed. IF this was an unsafe product they were trying to eliminate responsibility for, I can see wanting the assurance that this product is not going to be passed on to be used in a way that they would be liable. Fact is, they decided that it was not financially feasible to keep the product working as it was intended. Tech gets old and it cost them to keep this item going without seeing income back to them. But there is a price for customer retention. Maybe now that Sony doesn't want to continue the Dash it is only valued at approximately the price of clock radio or BT speaker. The loss in value is from the Sony side alone. The Dash was a very useful item that many depend/ed on. Hopefully they will just send the speaker and accept the loss to keep you as a future customer.

Well, if they had formally handed operations to BlueOcty they would not be in their current situation. Spreading bad will is not a good business strategy.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

agreed

After escalating my case to the highest supervisors, i am being told that this is the new updated policy. sony now expects people to hand in their dash to recieve the replacment item aftwr they processed hunderds of claims under the old policy, so in essence, people who were paying attention all along were given a replacment item in apology for the online features being dropped, while people finding out now will only recieve an item in replacment after they send in their dash unit, which was not required bofore.

excuse me if im istaken, but its kind of illegal for them to handle these cases in an ununiform way, no?

i processed 2 claims a month ago and recieved 2 speakers and was not asked to return my dash.

thesse speakers were never meant to replace the dash, they are 20$ items in apology for dropping tthe server functionlity.

now, you get nothing unless you send in the dash. will they resell them or destroy them? what is the ogic behind this except to punis dash users for this second life the unit is being given? how petty, SONY. im sure im not the only person who has been loyal to SONY since the days of ES stereo equipment who now will be extermely cautious when buying any tech device tjat relies on SONY to continue support for functionality. NEVER AGAIN will i blindly give them 200$ for a unit they may not support in a few years. this device is not out of date, it was the future. SONY could be making something like the Amazon Show now, but they are too busy fighting heir loyal customers over loving the DASH. pathetic.

i am filing a complaint with my NYS Attorney General and i wonder if its pointless to encourage others to do te same in the interest of DASH owners who havnt yet heard about the replacment offer.

SONY couldnt possibly find a way to come out looking more petty and vindictive, these units were very expensive new. i bought 4 and ive been a loyal SONY customer for25 years of adult life.  i already have passed on SONY purchases and everytiime SONY coes up in conversation, they get free advertising from me informing people of how tey have changed their policy on being a reputable company you can trust not to sell you useless bricks, but since they started selling garbage audio they seem to think consumers are for fleecing.

could anyone advise a course of action here? i dont want to encourage the forum to do anyhing out of line, but i feel like i personally want to file a complaint with my states Attorney General.

they shouldnt be allowed to handle these cases differently for some people and they should be obligated to uniformly process thesse cases. lots of people coming late to the party so to speak are getting nothing bt the runaround. 

this wasnt a limited time ofer, but it seems every interaction with SONY is now a limeted time offer.

they should have to include that verbiage in their new products.

rant over. sad

tmcontiroc wrote:

could anyone advise a course of action here? i dont want to encourage the forum to do anyhing out of line, but i feel like i personally want to file a complaint with my states Attorney General.:(

I went back through the forum rules and I don't see anything that seems to prohibit what you're encouraing.  I don't believe you're violating rule 6 or 7, since you're not directing your frustration at anybody who's here, or likely to be here, nor does that violate rule 11.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

And here I always thought the answer was 42!

infocastme wrote:

And here I always thought the answer was 42!

*tosses to Duane to come up with a rule 42. big_smile

@diamaunt see this wiki page to understand

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_f … the_Galaxy

Oh, I do understand big_smile 

I still remember reading that series, back when I worked at a hospital... and i'd find a quiet corner of the cafeteria to read... which resulted in strange looks at the guy sitting in the corner laughing uncontrollably.

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.”

Sadly, there's even posts on the net that explain that statement.

diamaunt wrote:

Oh, I do understand big_smile

I never lost faith in you! tongue

Of course if you watch NCIS there is a rule 42 — http://ncis.wikia.com/wiki/Leroy_Jethro_Gibbs/Rules

Getting back to the topic at hand (although a Hitchhikers Guide discussion is always a welcome thing), there is no cause of action here since there is no contractual basis to expect them to do anything at all (let alone do it consistently), and you should expect every device which depends on external services to function to be a "limited time offer".

Sony requiring the Dash to be returned before the compensatory item is provided is similar to what is happening in Australia with Tivo.
The Tivo service is being shut down here on 31 October, after Tivo having been off the market for a few years. In order to qualify for the compensation (a discount off a Fetch TV PVR), you are supposed to register online, order your new Fetch online from the one nominated retail chain that has been assigned the retrieve/replace task, and then take your Tivo in when you collect your discounted Fetch box.
As always, there are local variations in how this has been handled. Some people are reporting that they can collect the pre-ordered Fetch box without handing in a Tivo, whilst others are saying that non-participating retail chains will match the Tivo/Fetch discount, which wasn't that great.