1 (edited by zebraitis 2017-09-05 08:05:08)

Topic: RESOLVED: Network Connection Failed

(For the TL/dr folks:  I found that I had my network router set to 802.11n ONLY, which prevented the Dash from connecting as it is 802.11b/g)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Folks,

I'm a bit baffled...  I can't seem to get my Dash to do what I expect it to do.

Originally, I had jumped in with a "me too" message at http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9877

However, my challenge seems to be a bit more.  To try to work around my connection issue, I decided to:

1)  reset my Dash back to factory settings via the special options menu.  When that was complete, then...

2) I loaded the 1526 firmware. 

3) But when I get to my network setup, whether I choose Automatic (DHCP) or manual (and assign an IP address, I still get:

Network connection failed...

wlan0 link is down
failed to obtain IP Address
internet is unreachable

Not good.

Ideas?

Re: RESOLVED: Network Connection Failed

zebraitis wrote:

Folks,
3) But when I get to my network setup, whether I choose Automatic (DHCP) or manual (and assign an IP address, I still get:

wlan0 link is down
internet is unreachable

Not good.

Ideas?

Rule out your home router.  Can you set your phone as a wifi-hotspot?  See if you can connect through that. 

This isn't a suggested SOLUTION -- just a troubleshooting technique to try and isolate the issue.

It would also generate this particular error if the Wifi passphrase is not correct.

So...  Interesting Developments in this stream of consciousness testing documentation:

As I mentioned above, I had dropped my Dash back to Factory settings, and then upgraded to 1526 firmware.

I left my Dash unplugged this weekend, and when I powered up it asked for an identifying SECURITY QUESTION before continuing to connect to the network.

(note:  asking that question is what it did NOT do previously)

This time, it connected to the network, but then failed as it could not download the Control Panel (... no surprise there).

I powered off, slapped in the Chumby software on USB, and proceeded

Still, I could not connect to my main home SSID, but I could (as jhonryan suggested) connect to my phone hotspot.

Surprisingly, while I expected the Chumdash info to appear, it loaded the default 1526 dashboard.  weird.

Reboot with the USB still back in.

This time, I'm prompted to install Chumby, and up pops the Chumdash 1.0 skin.   OK... nice.

USB out, Power off & Reboot - connecting to the hotspot:  Booted up, displayed expected dashboard, no problem.

Power off, turn off phone hotspot, power up:  Starting Chumby, checking network, Create a new connection, scanning, Select main home SSID, enter (after validating) passphrase, allow DHCP...

wlan0 link is down
internet is unreachable

So, that's weird.

Every other wireless device in my home (and there are MANY!!!) connect to my Linksys EA8500 router without any challenge.

I checked the router, and validated there the SSID, Password, and it's security is WPA2 Personal.  That is the 2.4 Ghz band (the 5 Ghz band uses a different SSID).  My DHCP server is enabled, there are plenty of addresses (but just in case I increased my maximum users from 50 to 75)

Rebooted to see if the 75 user limit would make a difference... 

So, before jumping to the conclusion of:  "Well, it's yer router..."  keep in mind that this thing connects to printers, wireless bridges, other computing and IoT devices...

NOTE:  I have WPA2 Personal as my security level, while the Dash thinks that Security is AES.  Could that be it?

Wait minute...  I just rebooted, and this stupid thing just connected!  (no, I didn't change security)  What the hell ??!!??

SOMOFAB%TCH.....  Looking at the Wi-Fi settings, I have the 2.4 Ghz setting as "802.11N ONLY"... because I did not want slower mixed devices to connect.  And the stupid Dash supports 802.11B and 802.11G... but it is well pre-802.11N

F#CK !!!

OK, it's not the router.  It's the user.

Change the router to "Mixed" for wireless.

Unplug, reboot, Slow, but Chumdash loaded, and it  did not prompt me for network connection info.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Now the next question is will the 802.11B/G connectivity slow my overall wireless speed from 802.11 N to the slower B/G/N Mixed settings.   But that is for me to resolve.

CODA:

Just so you would know, my other Dash connected without any problem.

The 802.11 Mixed setting is the ticket.

Thanks for the followup!

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

7 (edited by BoloMKXXVIII 2017-09-06 03:08:57)

Your router supports Guest Access.  You could set your main network back to wireless N and your guest network to mixed mode. Then connect your Dash to the guest network.
https://www.linksys.com/us/support-arti … Num=203467

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Your router supports Guest Access.  You could set your main network back to wireless N and your guest network to mixed mode. Then connect your Dash to the guest network.

Yeah, no.

I saw that it supported Guest Access when I was troubleshooting, but I wanted to test it before I responded.

The challenge is that the Linksys router uses a "Guest Access login page".  On a Win, Android or iOS device an browser would pop-up where the guest network password is entered.

On the Cumdash, that means that you get a "Network Connection Failed" message.

There is no option in the router to turn off the Guest Access login page and allow an SSID password to be entered manually.  The router presents the guest SSID as an "open" network and then redirects to the browser page.

I don't think the team will want to support a feature request to have a browser pop-up for the password, nor would I want to do so every time I reboot the device (or if the guest IP address is revoked due to a timeout).

Back to mixed on the primary 2.5Ghz SSID.

zebraitis wrote:
BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Yeah, no.

I saw that it supported Guest Access when I was troubleshooting, but I wanted to test it before I responded.

The challenge is that the Linksys router uses a "Guest Access login page".  On a Win, Android or iOS device an browser would pop-up where the guest network password is entered.

On the Cumdash, that means that you get a "Network Connection Failed" message.

There is no option in the router to turn off the Guest Access login page and allow an SSID password to be entered manually.  The router presents the guest SSID as an "open" network and then redirects to the browser page.

I don't think the team will want to support a feature request to have a browser pop-up for the password, nor would I want to do so every time I reboot the device (or if the guest IP address is revoked due to a timeout).

Back to mixed on the primary 2.5Ghz SSID.

Wow, that sucks. Glad I don't not have a Linksys router.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

I tried changing my router setting to mixed mode but my dash is still not connecting to internet.

11 (edited by nitinc 2020-07-11 22:06:32)

I have tried as to what has been said for guest user on my router TP-LInk and changed bandwidth to 2.4 GHZ but Sony Dash Still did not connect i have installed firmware 1526 as said also. Please guide. Thanks