Topic: Is there a way to add touchclicks to the touchscreen?

I'm not sure if this is the right topic for here but I didn't want to create a new one. Is there a way to add touchclicks to the touch screen? I see a way for a chumby device but not the Dash. I can't find the proper directory to enter the command.

Re: Is there a way to add touchclicks to the touchscreen?

sjspitalli wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the right topic for here but I didn't want to create a new one. Is there a way to add touchclicks to the touch screen? I see a way for a chumby device but not the Dash. I can't find the proper directory to enter the command.

No - the touchclick functionality was built into the resistive touchscreen controller chip used in the devices that supported it.  The dash uses a not only a different controller, by totally different technology (capacitive vs resistive).

The touchscreen controller on the older devices was *also* the audio controller, so it was a natural thing for them to support - it totally bypasses the operating system, just exposing the ability to turn it on and off.

Some modern capacitive touchscreen controllers go further, adding haptic feedback, but that's not the case with the one on the dash.

On the "Chumby tricks" page on the wiki, each "trick" is accompanied with icons indicating which devices support the particular trick.  In the case, only the chumby Classic icon is shown.

Re: Is there a way to add touchclicks to the touchscreen?

sjspitalli wrote:

No, that wasn't the right topic for an unrelated question, so I've split it off into a separate topic.  Please create new topics for new thoughts/questions.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.