1 (edited by ASDadam 2017-08-09 22:30:31)

Topic: App Help

First of all, great job getting this thing up and running again.  I applaud your effort and tenacity to support those of us who still loved their Dash.

Now onto my current question.  Has anyone been able to get the Pandora Bookmark, Facebook Photos or Photobucket to work?  I can't log into Photobucket even though i'm using my correct information.  Also facebook photos won't connect and Pandora just searches for bookmarks but never leaves the search.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

***Edit***
I did get Shoutcast to finally work which is almost as good as Pandora so no complaints.  Now if I can just get my other Dash that won't power on to work again i'll be beyond happy.

Re: App Help

Photobucket now requires a $99.99/year subscription to access your photos outside their website, which would include the chumby.  We have left the functionality there in case anyone wants to use it.

Facebook has blocked access to photos to third party applications, so we'll be removing that widget.

I don't know anything about the Pandora Songmarks application - it's an application by an unaffiliated developer.

Duane wrote:

Photobucket now requires a $99.99/year subscription to access your photos outside their website, which would include the chumby.  We have left the functionality there in case anyone wants to use it.

I *think* that it'd take the 399.99 a year plan to use that, '3rd party image hosting' but I might be wrong.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Thank you guys for the detailed explanation.  Needless to say i'll not be paying $100 a year let alone $399 for photos..... Explains all of the adds on their site, they've probably hit some hard times.

The Photobucket thing only happened a few weeks ago.

Sony was using a hard-coded Photobucket account for the "sample" pictures displayed in their themes.  During development I was using the same feed when they suddenly stopped working.  It took a little while to find out they were now responding to JPEG requests with HTML, and found that they had changed their terms of use so dramatically.

I replaced the sample photos with ones that chumby has used for other products.

Adam what did you do to get Shoutcast to work? THX

Once I opened the app I just clicked around until I found channels that would load.  Evidently some channels don't work at all or require a different app but keep clicking and some will work.  I search for 80s, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock and am able to find several channels in each.

The best way to find working stations is by searching by genre.  The "top stations" listed by default are often so loaded they will not accept more connections.

The apps I’ve added to my channel won’t load,for example the amazon video game app says network error,California lotto app,the hacker news app stays on loading but ESPN & accuwaether work fine. Is this just an issue with these apps?thanks for any help

If the app author is not listed as Chumby, or Duane, then he's unlikely able to do anything about it.

You can always try contacting the author through the link on the widget page.

I always see if the app works on the website before I try to add it.  Also I believe most of those apps were ones I found to not be working.

I'll take a look at those apps.  I know that on some of them, the data feeds have moved.

Does anybody know if the tumblr apps in the photo section still work.  I have not been able to get them to by entering in this format:

Customize the app by specifying tumblr blog names only (ie. XYZ for http://XYZ.tumblr.com).

By the way....a big thank you to you for this great service/forum!  I know I balked about a subscription in earlier posts prior to the software being ready because the cost over several years adds up, but I'm all in for a quite a while (maybe forever) as a Thank You for your efforts and because I love the discussion here.  I am using the old Dash Theme even though I had to research what the heck SSH stood for and using Connectbot and trying to figure out how to type in those commands.

I must say one of my frustrations during the chumbification is that I had no idea that registering for the blog did not equate to registering for Chumby.com.  I kept entering this username and password so I kept trying reset password and getting no response.  I created a new account to get registered and subscribe and gave up on this account.  So today I tried to post with my chumby.com username and again was denied posting to the blog and password reset did nothing. 

Maybe I didn't read carefully enough that registering for the blog is not equal to registering for chumby.com.  Certainly not what one would expect from a JBond007$ username.

I can't seem to log in to Google Calendar.  Is that an issue similar to other services?  I just get the message "Log in failed."

--Birthday Countdown App--

"...days until ... birthday" counter does not automatically update from day to day.  You have to reload channel or reboot.

--Live Weather by WeatherBug App--

I set up local weather but giving message "There is a severe weather alert in your area! Check out www.weatherbug.com for more information!"  There is no severe weather alert currently in our area.

ljschoepke wrote:

--Live Weather by WeatherBug App--

I set up local weather but giving message "There is a severe weather alert in your area! Check out www.weatherbug.com for more information!"  There is no severe weather alert currently in our area.

That app operated the exact same way on the Dash pre-sony planning to killing it.  It's been like that for years.

There allegedly was an "update" on 8/14 but I don't notice any different behavior from before, including that annoying false alert banner still being there.

The weatherbug app says that a lot of times on my chumbys when it's something like "it's going to be hot today" severity of alert.

I've had the false alert banner appear constantly on Weatherbug for a while now (maybe a month or two, but not years) on my Chumbys, so it's not a Dash-specific problem. The alert also now appears to be a permanent fixture on the preview of the app on chumby.com
A few years ago, something changed with Weatherbug so that it was no longer possible to enter locations by name rather than zipcode when setting up a new instance of the app. This meant that locations outside the US could not be used. I was pleased to see that the app was updated recently, but unfortunately this issue remains.

Same here, Weatherbug seems to have been showing a severe weather alert for us here (60516) for quite a while, on both I3.5 and I8 devices. The weatherbug website says there are no alerts for our area right now, while both Chumbys are alerting.