Topic: Pebble ...

Hello -

In a perfect world, Duane or the "Duane-Equivalent" would take over the Pebble infrastructure.  But I guess Pebble is making the watch "just work" :

Pebble preps for the end of its smartwatch services

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/05/pebbl … -services/

The end is near for Pebble. The latest update to Pebble watches should extend their life a bit longer by removing the dependency on cloud servers. This allows the devices to work without the Pebble services that have up until now was required for many user interactions. ...

Chuck

Re: Pebble ...

"Duane Equivalent Units"

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Unfortunately (or I guess fortunately in this case) I don't have a Pebble.  I did have an "Inpulse" which was the first watch they made - it also became unsupported.  As I recall, even the development tools were cloud-based.

If there were sufficient documentation to create a replacement service for the Pebble device, I'd certainly have no problem hosting one.

Here is the direct link to pebbles announcement:
https://developer.pebble.com/blog/2017/ … ng-update/

Glad to see they are trying to do something for their customers. I can think of another company that should take notice (Sony).

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Fitbit bought Pebble for their IP and nothing else.

It has been said that they do not want to/care about extending support for the Pebble. They would be the ones to talk to.

6 (edited by demarks51 2017-04-06 12:37:08)

How odd! I just bought two Pebble watches. Then saw these posts. Wouldn't it be strange to have it connected to the BlueOcty server?
Duane-Master of Castaway Technologies. This could be interesting. Ready to quit your day job?

Pebbles are being sold on Ebay and some are getting very cheap. I got one for less than $15 delivered.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 … amp;_sop=1

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

7 (edited by Alphonso Davies 2017-08-17 22:50:26)

Still it's the best best looking smart watches around. imo. The black one is my favorite.

Great for on the road. Let's you see who is calling or texting. Quick answers without having to pull out the phone. I just found a great compass app that is very cool. At least fitbit let the pebble stay active after the fall.

Pebble official servers went down July 1 and the Rebble volunteers took over the service and are keeping Pebble going. Sound familiar? See rebble.io for more info. Fitbit actually assisted in the transition and extended the expiration date an additional 6 months to help with the Rebble recovery project.

demarks51 wrote:

Pebble official servers went down July 1 and the Rebble volunteers took over the service and are keeping Pebble going. Sound familiar? See rebble.io for more info. Fitbit actually assisted in the transition and extended the expiration date an additional 6 months to help with the Rebble recovery project.

It is a shame that this type of hand-off is so rare.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Good for them!  It's nice to see others keeping these types of products going!