1 (edited by Soakito 2017-08-08 15:21:35)

Topic: Hanging on the white chumby screen on boot.

First of all, thank you so much to Duane, and the generous folks working on this -- it's really much appreciated.

My Dash is hung on the white Chumby screen (white screen with 'Chumby' in blue, and the little blue octopus bobbing up and down), after selecting "Install Chumby"... I've tried four times now (having selected "Continue Startup" the last two times).

I'd appreciate any advice any one can throw my way, thank you.
Have a good night.

Re: Hanging on the white chumby screen on boot.

What it's doing while the sexipus is bobbing up and down is connecting to your local network and making sure it can reach chumby.com.  It's supposed to timeout after a few minutes if that fails but something seems to be going amiss for you.

What I'd recommend is too reboot into Special Options, restore factory settings, and reboot back into normal mode with the dongle inserted and reinstall the chumby software.

Thank you, Duane, very much for the insanely quick reply, and the patience (I know I'm among the least tech-savvy people on here, I appreciate the help).
I'll follow your instructions to the letter.

Have a good evening.

Duane wrote:

What I'd recommend is too reboot into Special Options, restore factory settings, and reboot back into normal mode with the dongle inserted and reinstall the chumby software.

Shoot. I must've screwed something up weeks ago, when I was trying to unbrick my Dash -- it's still hung up on the same white screen, with 'Chumby' with Sexipus, who's not even bobbing any more... I assume it just had enough of my s***.

Thanks again for the time and attention, though, take care.

Hmmm, this should be working.  Check the dongle and see if "controlpanel.swf" is on it.  It kinda sounds like some of the chumby software is not quite right, like maybe the zip file didn't get correctly processed, or the dongle was ejected from your PC too soon.

6 (edited by Soakito 2017-08-08 16:42:41)

[Sorry, I had tried to include a screenshot, but am fairly baffled as to how to even do that, my apologies].

"controlpanel.swf" is there, but I should point out I had also emptied out the two folders (containing 'root' and the 'sample_content' images), and dropped their contents onto the top level of the dongle -- was this a mistake? I had figured it was to ensure everything was read by the Dash as it booted up...

And thanks again for the continued assistance.

Soakito wrote:

[Sorry, I had tried to include a screenshot, but am fairly baffled as to how to even do that, my apologies].

"controlpanel.swf" is there, but I should point out I had also emptied out the two folders (containing 'root' and the 'sample_content' images), and dropped their contents onto the top level of the dongle -- was this a mistake? I had figured it was to ensure everything was read by the Dash as it booted up...

And thanks again for the continued assistance.

Yes, that was a mistake... delete everything from the dongle, and re-unzip the file into the root, leaving things the way the zip put them.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Thank you for your patience -- it's working now!

I'm embarrassed to say, the issue was with me not having followed carefully the instructions for the unbricking of the Dash, before the Chumbification.

But everything works, really happy I won't be throwing it out -- I hadn't realized how much I use it at my work station.

Soakito wrote:

Thank you for your patience -- it's working now!

I'm embarrassed to say, the issue was with me not having followed carefully the instructions for the unbricking of the Dash, before the Chumbification.

But everything works, really happy I won't be throwing it out -- I hadn't realized how much I use it at my work station.

Awesome!

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.