Re: UNBRICK YOUR HID-C10 DASH

Sk8man101 wrote:

Just registered to say thank you.  I have unbricked one of my units.  I actually found a brand new one in my closet still shrink wrapped and never opened.  Should I just leave it alone till you are ready with the Chumby update, or mess with this one beforehand.  Thanks again.

If it's brand new, you will need to update the firmware to the 1.7.1526 version.

Thank you, thank you.  I had to look around for the 1.7.1526 update.  I found several update.zips and checked out the version.txt in the zip to make sure I had the right one.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge.  I stupidly allowed the update to my Dash but has working clock and touch screen.  Is it fine to keep it as is and wait for the Chumby update?

Thanks for all your efforts for us!

DoctorA wrote:

Is it fine to keep it as is and wait for the Chumby update?

Hey DoctorA, have another look: The "Chumby update" is out now. Find it here: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9843

I have 2 HID-C10 that were updated to the brick version firmware. I d/l'ed .1526, left it zipped on a FAT32 16GB stick along with the unbrick files (unzipped) all at root level. Shortly after the screen with the 3 update buttons appeared, the update process began. It ran for a few minutes then said it was rebooting. Then the blinking SONY and black screen. No change. Here are the first few lines from the unbrick.log.text:
2017-08-07 11:55:54 Logging to /mnt/usb/unbrick.log.txt
2017-08-07 11:55:54 -- done with config file, processing command line --
2017-08-07 11:55:54 main() - warning, cannot find /usr/widgets/preload.swf, no default preloads in effect
2017-08-07 11:55:54 ClientSettings::AddArgument() adding safeMode=1
2017-08-07 11:55:54 GetRegisteredInstancePid(/var/run/chumbyflashplayer.pid) open failed, errno = 2 (No such file or directory)

What have I done wrong?

alaric11 wrote:
DoctorA wrote:

Hey DoctorA, have another look: The "Chumby update" is out now. Find it here: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9843

Thanks for the update my friend!  I just do not know if I can flash the updated Sony software with the Chumby update.  I will give it a shot.

peteyx wrote:

I have 2 HID-C10 that were updated to the brick version firmware. I d/l'ed .1526, left it zipped on a FAT32 16GB stick along with the unbrick files (unzipped) all at root level. Shortly after the screen with the 3 update buttons appeared, the update process began. It ran for a few minutes then said it was rebooting. Then the blinking SONY and black screen. No change. ?

It sounds like you had a bad copy of 1526. Did you check the size and md5sum?

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

DoctorA wrote:
alaric11 wrote:
DoctorA wrote:

Thanks for the update my friend!  I just do not know if I can flash the updated Sony software with the Chumby update.  I will give it a shot.

The chumby update doesn't flash anything.

diamaunt wrote:

It sounds like you had a bad copy of 1526. Did you check the size and md5sum?

That is the problem. I've checked on Sony's site but the firmware isn't there anymore. Someone posted a link to a google drive version (which I d/l'ed). Any clues where a valid version is available?

There's a sticky at the top of this (the dash) forum.

136 (edited by DoctorA 2017-08-08 08:57:42)

diamaunt wrote:
DoctorA wrote:
alaric11 wrote:

Understood.  Looked again at the Chumby thread and hit myself in the forehead!  Just to give feedback I was running the latest Sony update and did not revert to previous but the Chumby file worked great and back up and running!  Thanks for the help!

DoctorA wrote:
diamaunt wrote:
DoctorA wrote:

Understood.  Looked again at the Chumby thread and hit myself in the forehead!  Just to give feedback I was running the latest Sony update and did not revert to previous but the Chumby file worked great and back up and running!  Thanks for the help!

By "latest sony update" do you mean 1526 or 1604? (over the years I've learned never to assume that what I call "latest" and what someone else calls "latest" are actually the same thing).

You can tell what you've got by going into the 'device info' screen.

diamaunt wrote:
DoctorA wrote:
diamaunt wrote:

By "latest sony update" do you mean 1526 or 1604? (over the years I've learned never to assume that what I call "latest" and what someone else calls "latest" are actually the same thing).

You can tell what you've got by going into the 'device info' screen.

I was on the 1604 with working clock and touch screen.

DoctorA wrote:

I was on the 1604 with working clock and touch screen.

We were unable to directly test with that configuration since none of my dashes would accept the 1604 update without failing, so just be aware that you are in uncharted territory as far as we're concerned.

Gotcha.

Can someone please help me find the file to download - 1.7.1526

I cannot locate this amywhere on reddit or the forum.

PLEASE HELP

marcodash wrote:

Can someone please help me find the file to download - 1.7.1526

I cannot locate this amywhere on reddit or the forum.

PLEASE HELP

Read this: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9745

alaric11 wrote:
DoctorA wrote:

Finally!! I am sooo happy! Installed the Chumby update and I finally have my Dash back! AND it looks better than before. This just saved me a bunch of $$$$ on a new alarm clock smile

FYI... I had received the 1604 update and was working ok as basic alarm clock. Applied the 1526 update and immediately turned it off after it was loaded and connected to wifi. Then I used the chumby update via USB and all is up and running beautifully. Thanks to those who made this happen!

U guys..show me what USB dongle to use to unbrick my dash..used 2.0 flash drive. Not working..

Try another one, and review the instructions in this thread.

We haven't been able to determine any rhyme or reason about what USB drives work and don't, as long as it was formatted with FAT or FAT32.

Hello,
I am sure the fault is with me, but I have tried 100 times, and still have a brick. I am not computer savy what so ever, and putting things on the top level of the USB, I dont even know what that means. I love my dash, and nothing on the market compares. Can I just mail my dash to someone to fix it, with the new chumby software on it? I'll gladly pay someone to do this for me, I pretty much gave up out of frustration.

^ When you plug a new USB stick (a/k/a thumb drive, dongle, etc.) into a USB port, the computer will treat it as if it's a hard drive, and assign a letter to it -- might be D:, or E:, or some other letter.  You should be able to go into your File Explorer (or Windows Explorer) program and see it.  The user can organize the USB stick by creating a nested structure of  directories (D:\Documents , D:\Photos , etc) and sub-directories.  The "top level" just means not in a directory or sub-directory -- if we were talking about a desk drawer that had some manila file folders in it, putting a document in the "top level" of the drawer would mean just dropping it in the drawer without putting it in one of the folders.

All you need to do to make the unbrick dongle work is follow the instructions, and make sure when you unzip the downloaded file, the computer does not "helpfully" create a directory and dump the contents of the zip file there, instead of the top level.  You can try right-clicking on the zip file, which should cause a small menu to pop up.  If there is an "unzip here ..." choice, pick it.

BADMAV302 wrote:

Can I just mail my dash to someone to fix it, with the new chumby software on it? I'll gladly pay someone to do this for me, I pretty much gave up out of frustration.

You can send it to me, with return postage, and I'll do my best to get it working, however, that's going to cost something like 20$ in postage, and there's always the danger the shipping company will run over it with a truck. (I've seen it happen).

Why don't you send me an email (use the 'email' link on the left) with a detailed explanation of what you've done, and with a little luck and work, we can get your dash running, without you having to ship it.

Hi, so i have tried 3 different USB's and think i have done everything correctly.  I get to the startup screen, the machine then goes into reboot, and then im back to the black Sony screen and the flashing Sony at the bottom?  I wouldnt call myself proficient, but i generally know my way around computers. 

If there is a way to send images, ill post mine of my USB stick top level if that would help. 

Also, Diamaunt, if the offer stands, ill gladly ship you mine and pay a small premium for your time.

bigdog3030 wrote:

Hi, so i have tried 3 different USB's and think i have done everything correctly.  I get to the startup screen, the machine then goes into reboot, and then im back to the black Sony screen and the flashing Sony at the bottom?  I wouldnt call myself proficient, but i generally know my way around computers.

I need to remind windows users of this important note in the instructions:

NOTE: If you're using Windows file explorer, it often hides common extensions, so that "update.zip" displays as "update", if you see "update.zip" in the file explorer window, right click on it, and select properties, then the detail tab, and make sure the file is actually named "update.zip", NOT "update.zip.zip".