1 (edited by ai4c 2017-01-05 14:27:36)

Topic: For sale 2 (posibly 3) InfoCast 8 devices

I had bought them for a project that never panned out.
I've been using one in my kitchen, it has the Chumby software and Web Browser on it.
I have another one that is in its original box, and has never been used/activated, which means it still has the InfoCast software on it.
I also gave one to a friend who "retired" it to his basement and might be able to locate it, if there's interest. I think I did install the Chumby software on it, but not the Web Browser.
I have the original boxes and accessories for all 2 (3).

Make me an offer for any/all of them.

Also, see myother post for a Chumby Classic: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=53600

Re: For sale 2 (posibly 3) InfoCast 8 devices

PM me with what you need to get for new i8. Can't offer much. Let me know what you are thinking.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Did you sell these units?

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Please see my reply in the other post.

Hello, I am interested in your Infocast (s) If you still have them.  Thanks.

I still have them. Please PM me.

I'm having trouble sending you a pm. Do you think you could try to send me one and I can reply? Thanks,

Must be because you are a new member. I can't seem to be able to PM you either.

Try clicking on my name and sending me a "forum email" with your own email address. I will then reply via regular email. Thanks.

10 (edited by ai4c 2017-07-12 00:24:16)

Still available. Asking price here is $40 each (half of what I paid). Upgraded both to latest Chumby firmware.
Listed on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/Insignia-Infocas … 004H1NEF6/ for the original price, since there seems to be someone trying to sell theirs for some $130+!

Are they all sold? I didn't see any on Amazon for $40

No, I listed them on Amazon for the original price ($80), but I am willing to offer them here for half that. If you want to go through Amazon for some reason (even though they'll take their cut, increasing the price), I can drop the price there to $40+shipping+Amazon's cut. If not, please PM me and we can do PayPal, which I think offers payment on delivery as an option.

I have only owned a Dash. What is the difference between the Infocast and Chumby software?

caseyatbt wrote:

I have only owned a Dash. What is the difference between the Infocast and Chumby software?

There really isn't any, the Infocast models were pretty much just chumbys in different cases, sold by Best Buy, with Best Buy "infocast" startup screens and different menus...

But they weren't locked down like the Dashes.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

I mainly used my Dash as an alarm clock on my nightstand. I have a couple different alarms that stream music. I have heard that these may not have a night mode that I can pre-set times like the Dash can.

16 (edited by steelpaw 2017-08-04 21:01:22)

That's true. You can't set an Infocast 8 to go into Night Mode at a certain time, or to wake up out of Night Mode silently. They just have the audio alarms, where you pick from one of their pre-set sounds (gong, beep, etc). You can't set the alarm to play music streams although you can set it to play a particular widget channel after you dismiss the alarm.
One other alarm-related difference between a Chumby and an Infocast 8 is that the Chumby displays the next upcoming alarm on the Night Mode screen, and the Infocast doesn't. This means that there is no quick way of checking that the alarm is set on an Infocast 8.
The smaller Infocast 3.5", on the other hand, does seem to be identical to a Chumby, only in a plastic case and with an Infocast startup screen. You can play music streams as alarms on it, it shows the upcoming alarm on the Night Mode screen and you can set it to go in and out of Night Mode at your desired times.

As a note, I put the Chumby 8 firmware on the InfoCasts, which may have solved some or all of these issues.

ai4c wrote:

As a note, I put the Chumby 8 firmware on the InfoCasts, which may have solved some or all of these issues.

I did the same thing with my infocast8 years ago. I no longer remember what the infocast8 firmware looks like.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Can you please confirm for the others if the issues above (no Night Mode at a certain time, no silent wake up, no stream alarm) are present or not? I'd rather not register and de-register mine if you can help.

ai4c wrote:

Can you please confirm for the others if the issues above (no Night Mode at a certain time, no silent wake up, no stream alarm) are present or not? I'd rather not register and de-register mine if you can help.

Sorry, I am out of town. Have no access to any of my units. If I can remember I will check when I get back home.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Dropped the price on Amazon to $49.99 (even though it'll be more with USPS). Any takers? The next cheapest one there is over $70. I'd rather sell both and combine shipping.