1 (edited by jesiegel 2017-08-01 06:35:55)

Topic: How can I get notice when you release the chumby update?

So it's almost a month past when sony said they would be stopping the dash services, anyone have any idea when the chumby patch would be available? Is there a mailing list one can subscribe to to get notified of this update so we don't have to keep checking back to this site? Looking forward to getting my device repaired and able to be used without being prompted for an update over and over again that will just ruin the device.  THANK YOU CHUMBY, for helping us Sony dash owners out of a tight spot, I love this device and can't wait to get functionally out of it again.

Duane wrote:

So, we've been successful in getting a dash to boot into a Control Panel of our creation, activating it on the chumby.com site, and playing apps from channels in existing accounts.

There's still a lot of work to do - disabling the middleware that relies on the soon-to-be-gone dash service, adding the device as a validly supported one, etc.  However, my guess is that we'll be in very good shape before the official shutdown.

The very, very good news is that we've been able to do this without having to modify the Sony firmware - this will work with a stock device that's running the latest (1.7.1526) Sony firmware release.  Should Sony issue another firmware release before the July deadline (which is highly unlikely under the circumstances) please don't install it if you want to carry the device forward with chumby.

In the worst case, you might have to run the device with a USB dongle inserted at all times - you should be able to find one that's small enough to fit with the panel closed - and we're actively working towards a method of doing a one-time install of some software on the device and not needing the dongle from then on.

In any case, the bottom line is that Blue Octy should be able to provide most chumby services to the dash.

Re: How can I get notice when you release the chumby update?

Hello,
How can I sign up for the mailing list so I can get a email about when the Chumby update will be ready for the Dash?

Thank you and in the meantime I will wait for my $20 alarm clock from Sony, and thanks for the post on that also or I would of never of known about that.

We don't have a mailing list for this.

However, we will be announcing the release on Facebook and Twitter, so you can follow us there to get a notification.

I don't use Facebook or Twitter, Duane.  So could you please consider adding the release notice to this topic and/or to the "Success!" topic for those of us who just get their Chumby news via the forum?

Thanks for your consideration.

Pat

I created an announcement thread, you can subscribe to that.

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9806

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Thanks for making the thread.  I too, have been anxiously awaiting the release.  I was doing fine until I saw the LCARS theme.  Now I can't wait.