Topic: Question regarding alarm clock functionality

Hi there!  First off, thank you to Duane for choosing to support the Dash even though he has no obligation to help out!

With that said, I had a question.  My dash finally got the update notification this morning which I'm not touching.  Thankfully it happened after I turned my alarm off  on a Friday.  Which leads to my question.

At this point, my main use for the Dash is as an alarm clock, but I am highly reliant on its capability to have the alarm set for different times on different days.  Is this something that is handled in the beta update?  Is it something that, if handled, will require a subscription?  I'm not against a subscription per se, but I would prefer not paying to have multiple alarms.  I do, however, plan to at least send a donation once the beta is released.

I guess secondarily, the same question for weather.  Those are literally the only 2 things I ever use the dash for anymore.

So, the tl;dr version....
Will having multiple alarms (i.e. m,t,th,f 5am and w 4am) and access to accuweather require a subscription?

Thanks and again, appreciate all the work Duane/Blue Octy is putting in here!

Re: Question regarding alarm clock functionality

The Control Panel we're preparing for dash has the same alarm support as the Sony version.  It will even use the same alarm settings.

We're treating the device much like the current set of chumby devices -you would not need a subscription if you're just using the device for clock, alarms and music services, and at this point, the weather information displayed on the themes.

We cannot guarantee that the weather information will be available in its current form indefinitely without a subscription.

Of course, we appreciate if you choose to support us financially with donations and/or subscriptions even if you're not required to, as many chumby customers do.

Fair enough and thank you for the prompt reply!  I appreciate your effort here Duane.  Be expecting a donation (and possible subscription) once you feel you're legally able to release the update.  I really wish I opted for a chumby to begin with way back when...

nolonger_superman wrote:

I really wish I opted for a chumby to begin with way back when...

chumbys are available on ebay on a regular basis... you can opt for a cuddly Italian leather coated chum, or one of the later model chumby one, or chumby 8 models.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Don't forget about the Infocast 3.5 and Infocast 8 that were sold by BestBuy. They are nearly identical to the Chumby (case is different, different splash screen) and function just like other Chumbies. The Blue Octy family has several branches (or is that tentacles?).

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

How does the standard Chumby alarm clock compare to the Dash version?  Will the new Dash implementation be available on Chumbys?

shawndoc wrote:

How does the standard Chumby alarm clock compare to the Dash version?  Will the new Dash implementation be available on Chumbys?

I can't say, since I'm new to the dash, but the standard chymby/(and infocast) alarm is the most adaptable alarm I've ever seen, allowing repeating or a huge number of individual alarms, that can play stock sounds, audio files, network streams, or change channels and functions.

Some years back, I was working a rotating shift that had different start times 2 out of every 3 days, shifting from week to week.  I wrote a script on the chumby that connected to my desktop server, daily, pulled down a csv file that had dates and times for my schedule, then would create the next two weeks of custom alarms (just in case it couldn't talk to my desktop for a few days for some reason), with no alarm on weekends, holidays or vacation days. 

I'd update the csv file but I didn't have to touch the chumby for months at a time, if at all, it just set itself.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.