Topic: Amazon Echo first look

I have two Sony Dashes. I'm really hoping that Duane get something going here. Today I received a Amazon Echo Show in the mail and have set it up. I guess I was hoping it might be a good replacement for the Dash. But it is seriously underwhelming compared. I am so unhappy  I think I'll be sending it back and just praying for the Dash to continue working.

Re: Amazon Echo first look

cujodu wrote:

I have two Sony Dashes. I'm really hoping that Duane get something going here. Today I received a Amazon Echo Show in the mail and have set it up. I guess I was hoping it might be a good replacement for the Dash. But it is seriously underwhelming compared. I am so unhappy  I think I'll be sending it back and just praying for the Dash to continue working.

Can you tell us a bit more about your experience - i.e., what you liked, what you didn't like?

Can you tell us a bit more about your experience - i.e., what you liked, what you didn't like?

I received my Echo Show today. I only played with it for an hour. So far I LOVE it.  The hardware is nice.  The software is modern.  It integrates with my Hue lights and Nest Cams.  Voice recognition works better than Siri.  It has great music choices.  It is like a second generation Dash.  I can report back when I have more time with it.

4 (edited by demarks51 2017-06-29 07:26:59)

What sounds cool is the fact that you can video call any other Show that is synced to yours. Voice command to call someone who is willing to be on your call list. Other person has to accept call. Video can be cancelled and audio only if desired. Alexa seems to be a great tool BUT some seem to be concerned about "invading" their space. All voice commands are recorded but can be deleted thru Alexa app.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

I'm also liking my Show. We already had a few Echo devices in the house. The show replaced a Dot in the dining room that was 90% used to control the lights. Now the whole family is using it to play music and get information. Being able to drop in from my phone and yell for whoever is around is fun too. My Dash is on the same shelf and will probably stay there post Chumbification. While they look similar they really are very different devices. The Show is very much a voice assistant that also has a screen, not a visual device.