Topic: Anyone want to mentor a beginner on activating then subscribing?

I bought a used Chumby on eBay and it seems to be in very good working order. In trying to activate it, I have the clock, alarm and streaming working on the free service but I am trying to link it to my Chumby account on my PC. The website says to press the button on top of the device and then click on ACTIVATE, but "activate" does not appear on the Chumby screen. Are the instructions wrong (out-of-date), are the instructions for the wrong device (I have the leather trim model) or am I missing something?

Re: Anyone want to mentor a beginner on activating then subscribing?

Chances are very high that the chumby is still activated to the previous owner's account - please go to the website and press the big orange "DEACTIVATE A CHUMBY" button in the upper right and follow the instructions.  If you have any problems, you can contact me through the "Help"->"customer support" menu item.

3 (edited by demarks51 2015-12-16 07:42:17)

You'll need to have the very very long  Chumby ID seen on the Settings part of the unit. Also the NAME of this particular unit. Once you deactivate you can just turn around and reactivate with your own account. The hardest part is making sure you have each number and/or letters correct and in proper order.

http://chumby.com/my_chumby/deactivate

On the chumby Classic , chumby one, and Insignia Infocast 3.5", open the Control Panel, hit "SETTINGS" then "CHUMBY INFO" - the chumby ID is on the top line ("id:"), and the chumby name is on the fourth line ("chumby name:").

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Perfect Mr. D. Chumby, I deactivated the earlier owner's account and then successfully activated the device to my account. 

I intend to subscribe but I am trying to explore, activate apps/channels in the free model before I subscribe.

The confusion I have now is that, through the website, I renamed the channel from "Default" to "Normal" and added a few apps. But on the device I only see the channel "Unsubscribed" and I do not see any of my apps. Do I meed to subscribe to get more than clock, alarm and music?

Suggestions?

Yes, that's correct - you can preview the channel on the site, but the channel will not be delivered to the device without a subscription.