Topic: Chumby play iTunes without network connection?

Howdy folks,

I have brought my Chumby to work, knowing it won't connect to our corporate network. I was hoping it would boot in some sort of standalone mode, so that I could ismply use it as a speaker to play my iPod through.

Unfortunately, it seems to only have two modes right now, clock and 'search for network'. Even pressing the button on the top won't take it to the familiar setup screen (where the music button is located).

Any way to play music through it without a network connection?

Roy

Re: Chumby play iTunes without network connection?

Not at the moment - we're looking into changing that behavior, so you can play music offline.

In the meantime, this is what I'd try - get a USB flash drive and add the following in a file called "debugchumby":

#!/bin/sh
chumbyflashplayer.x -i /usr/widgets/controlpanel.swf

... and reboot.

As mentioned on the wiki, you'll need to use an editor that creates UNIX-style line endings, so Notepad won't do it.

This *should* bring up the local Control Panel even with the device disconnected from the network.  This is a hack - your mileage may vary.  Franky, I'm not totally sure how well the current Control Panel will operate in this mode, but it's worth a shot.  You can put your iPod in the other USB port.

Let me know if/how it works.

Yepper, that worked. I created the small file as directed, using UltraEdit, which allowed it to be created with Unix new lines. Booted up and went to the familiar COntrol Panel.

Thanks for the prompt response and workaround.

Roy

One caveat...the interface does eventually lock up (probably from the network devices being searched for). But, the music continues to play (but you can't pause, or adjust the volume).

Yes, it might be good to make it have some smart fallback when it can't find a network connection. I could see people wanting to take the Chumby with them traveling, and still have the music functionality even when there's no networks available.

Okay, I take back what I said before.

It works for a little while, but when the interface is frozen it eventually stops playing music as well.

I agree with Rebatch on the offline thing.  I envision taking it on vacation to play music through in a condo, etc., without a wireless network, so Duane, I'm glad you guys are working on something.
Should be as simple as "If network is found, then..., if network not found within 5-10 seconds, then boot to control panel", right?

"We will find a way, or we will make one."

I tried the same thing and it works..Coool

Compare your compact digital cameras. Dwonload cool polyphonic ringtones