Topic: Are we there yet?

Is there hope/plans/a prayer for chumby on android?

Re: Are we there yet?

If you mean a chumby client running on Android, there's ChumbyLite in Google Play.  It requires the Adobe Flash Player for Android, which I think is no longer offered by Adobe, but is available on some Android devices.

If you're talking about running Android on an existing chumby device, any recent version of Android has hardware requirements for in excess of what a chumby has.  There were a couple of attempts to port really old versions of Android (around Cupcake, I think), but they weren't really useable.

As to whether we should make a new chumby-like device running Android, it's not entirely clear what would make it different from any number of cheap Android tablets already widely available.  I'm open to suggestions.

3 (edited by philhu 2015-09-08 09:18:00)

Re: Are we there yet?

Duane wrote:

If you mean a chumby client running on Android, there's ChumbyLite in Google Play.  It requires the Adobe Flash Player for Android, which I think is no longer offered by Adobe, but is available on some Android devices.

If you're talking about running Android on an existing chumby device, any recent version of Android has hardware requirements for in excess of what a chumby has.  There were a couple of attempts to port really old versions of Android (around Cupcake, I think), but they weren't really useable.

As to whether we should make a new chumby-like device running Android, it's not entirely clear what would make it different from any number of cheap Android tablets already widely available.  I'm open to suggestions.

Duane, see my post elsewhere, the new RaspBerry PI 2 and the new 5" or 7" TFT screens make it a really nice platform to put Chumby on.  It comes with sd card, 2 usb ports, 1g of memory, wired ethernet and an addon wireless card, if the user wants.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/2454?g … AsyK8P8HAQ