Topic: Waiting on my new toy

Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought a 3D printer to compliment my CNC. Another forum member in my CNC forum bought one. He documented the build and tech support issues. The price is now in my range and I do have some projects that I can use it for.

As George Carlin said, "I need more room for my stuff!"

Re: Waiting on my new toy

Which 3D printer did you get?

3 (edited by infocastme 2015-04-01 08:37:36)

Duane wrote:

Which 3D printer did you get?

Sunhokey Prusa i3 Diy Kit

https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.com/d … usa-i3-kit

$325.00 including shipping.

There are a few videos on YouTube about this particular printer too. Not a bad deal for the money.

Here is the forum posts on the Shapeoko forum that also link to his build blog. It also includes update to the firmware ect.
http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic … amp;t=5481

do let us (or at least me) know what you think of it when you've played with it some!!!

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

diamaunt wrote:

do let us (or at least me) know what you think of it when you've played with it some!!!

Diamaunt is not the only one interested in hearing what you think when you have played with it a bit.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Diamaunt and BoloMKXXVIII are not the only ones interested in hearing what you think when you've played with it for a little while.

nathanm wrote:

Diamaunt and BoloMKXXVIII are not the only ones interested in hearing what you think when you've played with it for a little while.

Just got my shipping confirmation this morning. Will update when I recieve it.

Glad to see I am not the only one interested!

So today I received a call from FedEx stating I needed to fill out a FCC form 740 so that the 3D printer could be imported into the US without any Customs issues. What the $%^*!

The form is titled "Statement regarding the importation of radio frequency devices capable of causing harmful interference"

I ask my fellow forum member who also purchased this printer if he had to fill out this form. He replied no.

Well I filled it out according to FedEx instructions. I took a look at it's shipping status and it looks like it is on it's way again.

Things that make you go Mmmm!

WOW! That was fast. Received the printer yesterday. Funny thing is that the FCC form that FedEx wanted was already on the box from the manufacture.

Time to get constructing!

Its alive! I have not done any fine tuning yet but it is printing pretty well for now. This is my first real print after the test print.

Bottom line, a great printer for the price. It is not for beginners. You will need mechanical and electronics knowledge. The curve for the software is a bit steep if you are not savvy at learning new things but as you can see, it can be done!

This is the Makerbot robot mascot.

3dprinter

Well after printing things that were already made, I thought it time to print something from scratch. So here is the result of 3 days of figuring out how to do it and 9 minutes of printing!

octy print

big_smile awesome.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

I just picked up a Makergear M2 for Blue Octy earlier this week.

SWEET!

I have settled on using the MatterControl software. It is simple and I have done prints that last several hours without issues.
It is free but of course you can make a donation if you like it.

http://www.mattercontrol.com/

Hmmm, doesn't look like the M2 is supported by MatterControl.  I'm currently using Simplify3D, with most of the CAD work in FreeCAD, with some dashes of OpenSCAD.  My son plays around with TinkerCAD.

16 (edited by infocastme 2016-03-29 07:53:02)

Duane wrote:

Hmmm, doesn't look like the M2 is supported by MatterControl.

Yeah I noticed that as soon as I posted. There are a few that are close to the M2 to try. They also have a link to ask for your printer to be added.

I have also found this program for 3D CAD form Z free http://www.formz.com/products/formzfree.html

Easy to use and has great export features.

Enjoy your new toy!

PS What ever you do, do not visit Thingiverse! It is a black hole and you will never return to your former life!

Hey Duane, so what have your printed with your printer?

FYI anyone looking to buy a 3D printer, the one I bought and linked to has come down over a $100 to $229 USD!
It has been great to play with and has held up wonderfully.

infocastme wrote:

I'm working on an enclosure for an update of a consumer electronics device.

Duane wrote:
infocastme wrote:

I'm working on an enclosure for an update of a consumer electronics device.

Does the name of said device start with a C and end with a Y? :^)

nathanm wrote:

Does the name of said device start with a C and end with a Y? :^)

http://49.media.tumblr.com/8264560ed3d22c0adf8e4c98d419f41a/tumblr_mi8xheQewQ1qec2l3o1_500.gif