Topic: On reboot - Chumby Orig asks for date/time

This was asked a while back, but not resolved, and I cannot find the orig topic

Whenever I reboot my orig chumby bean bag (bought in the new chumby store), it asks for the date and time  (default is dec 31, 1969)

It is plugged into a ethernet wired usb adapter, that works fine while it is running.

Re: On reboot - Chumby Orig asks for date/time

Sounds like a race with the network stack.

Here's a test - boot the device, go ahead and set the date manually to something weird.

Go to the Control Panel -> Settings -> Time/Date, turn off "Set time from the Internet", wait 10 seconds, then turn it on again.

If the time fixes itself, then it means that in principle, setting time from the network is working, and this must be some issue when *when* it tries to get the time.  If not then something else must be going on - the device may not able to get to the ntpd pool.

try updating the firmware, if it's got old firmware, it's using a time setting method that's not as universally supported by the ntp network. 

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=46109#p46109

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

If this is recent purchase from thechumbystore, it *should* have the most recent firmware, unless it got by me somehow.

5 (edited by philhu 2015-03-13 08:33:06)

Well, bought in Chumby store recently, Duane said 'updated to latest firmware' before I bought it  smile

How do I tell firmware?  (NVM - It is latest firmware)

6 (edited by philhu 2015-03-13 08:05:12)

Well, did Duane's suggestion,  I am now looking at spaceclock from 1/31/1970 7:01pm.  Groovy man!   It did not update!

hw 3.7
sw 1.7.3
fw 4094
hw# CC07C06058

OK next step - SSH into the device, and see if you can "ping time.chumby.com"

Should get something like:

chumby:~# ping time.chumby.com
PING time.chumby.com (54.235.96.196): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 54.235.96.196: seq=0 ttl=36 time=87.0 ms
64 bytes from 54.235.96.196: seq=1 ttl=36 time=85.8 ms
64 bytes from 54.235.96.196: seq=2 ttl=36 time=84.8 ms

"time.chumby.com" is just a CNAME for "pool.ntp.org", so this really should work.

Also try "ntpdate pool.ntp.org"

Should get something like:

chumby:~# ntpdate pool.ntp.org
13 Mar 09:43:42 ntpdate[17196]: adjust time server 142.54.181.202 offset -0.013942 sec

This is the command that the device actually uses to the set the time from the Internet, through a script called "sync_time.sh" which is called every few hours.

Note that this requires outgoing port 123 to be available on any firewall you may have.

ok, looks like the address is blocked at my std company lan  (Tracert shows it dies at ipschoke.bms.com).  And we have local ntp server hosts, stored in /etc/ntp/ntp.conf on our linux servers

We have other vlans, one is used for internal servers

So I need to do 2 things.  1-Make the ntp hosts reachable from the lan the chumby is on and 2-Change the hosts the chumby uses for ntp.  Where are they stored on the chumby?

It looks like the script on the Classic is using "pool.ntp.org" directly, not the "time.chumby.com" CNAME record

The hosts file is /psp/hosts (it's linked from /etc/hosts) - note that this would not survive a factory reset or USB firmware update, just something to keep in mind.

Similarly, /etc/ntp.conf is linked to /psp/ntp.conf if you need to modify that.