1 (edited by Threemoons 2014-07-01 20:50:28)

Topic: Argh, did I break my Chumby while cleaning it?

Argh.  Just signed up for service for my old faithful Chumby, which has been a clock for the last year in my kitchen.

Well, there was some crud stuck to it so so I did my usual thing of using rubbing alcohol to get it off.

Now, when I reboot, it goes straight to "special settings" as if I was holding down the screen.

I can't select anything except "install updates".

I forget, is there a hardware reset pin-opening on the chumby?  If so, where?  Should I just unplug it overnight?  It IS running very hot now.

Help!

EDIT:  Held down the top and power buttons and got Chumby to reboot.  However, now, touchscreen does not seem to work at all....eeek???

Re: Argh, did I break my Chumby while cleaning it?

That will happen if the screen thinks it's got a touch registered during boot.  I expect it will be OK after being powered down for a little.

3 (edited by Threemoons 2014-07-01 21:10:36)

Thanks!  Also, I swear, it looks like there is something in between screen layers--maybe some of the alcohol got in?  Around the edges of the screen,  if I prod it, I can "move" what looks like liquid?  Note that the center of the screen is rather worn anyway; if this doesn't resolve I will try to post a pic. 

In the meantime, I have powered it down and unplugged it totally.

I hope it revives!  Will keep all posted.  Thanks!

-----------

Okay, can get into normal boot but touch screen seems to be borked; only one sensitive spot over the "dark" button.  Will this resolve?  Could a wipedown with rubbing alcohol really screw it up like this?  Overheating?? Help?

best you let it dry out overnight, powered off.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

5 (edited by Threemoons 2014-07-01 21:11:36)

diamaunt wrote:

best you let it dry out overnight, powered off.

Gonna try that, thanks!

Watch this space....

Blarg.  It looks like the screen has one spot that is only sensitive in ONE spot but nowhere else.  How much longer should I let it sit unplugged?  Potential fixes?

I have no idea if this would work for the Chumby, but if you have no other option putting it in a bag of rice may help. The rice acts as a desiccant and should remove whatever liquid you get inside of it. I saved my phone when I left it in my pants and it went through the wash by doing this and leaving it for a couple days. Of course, with the liquid embedded inside of the screen it may not help, and you run the risk of getting rice inside of the chumby, but if nobody else comes up with anything it may be worth a try.

Nathanm,

Thanks--it's just rubbing alcohol though; should that not a) dry out on its own and b) not impact a conductive screen?  It's almost as if two layers of the screen collapsed onto itself....

Will try some kind of dessicant action tonight.  I actually don't have rice in the house, except for expensive gourmet stuff, but may pick up a cheap bag of plain stuff on the way home tonight.

rubbing alcohol is usually at least 30% water.

give it some time, and keep it unplugged while waiting.

we'll keep our fingers crossed for your lil chum!

diamaunt wrote:

rubbing alcohol is usually at least 30% water.

give it some time, and keep it unplugged while waiting.

we'll keep our fingers crossed for your lil chum!

Thanks, the "ring" of moisture seems to be shrinking.  I'll do my best to give it a few days.

Grrr...so mad.  All I did was get some pesto off of my Chum....

One last question--ordered some silicon gel packs; think the little guys that come with camera parts, etc.

I plan on putting my Chum into a plastic bag with a bunch of these.  Was considering putting one or two up IN the Chumby under the velcro flap on the bottom.  Will keep you all posted.

If that fails, anyone here who knows how to do a screen fix/replace?

The silicon gel packs (and a bit of time) is a good bet. Hold off ordering parts for a couple of days.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Threemoons wrote:

If that fails, anyone here who knows how to do a screen fix/replace?

I've pulled a classic apart and it was NOT pretty... hopefully somebody chimes in with some information for you if it gets to that point!

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Hope you don't get to this point:

http://broo2.blogspot.com/2008/01/naked-chumby.html

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

15 (edited by Threemoons 2014-07-11 12:58:22)

UPDATE:  Guys, the screen seems to be fried.  It's as if it's in the "stuck down" position in a few parts; when I boot to Special Services (which is the only thing it does) I can't make any of the selections.

So, let's assume the screen is shot.

Now what?

And yeah, I gave it almost 4 days in a bag full of silicon dessicant packs; it's just not resurrecting.

Guys, screen is semi-functional but still shot to hell.  I need a new screen, and someone to put it in.  Happy to pay cash money for this, please let me know.....

it'd probably be better to trade it in on a refurb'd model from the store. perhaps Duane can salvage some parts to fix another one.

well, it's been a month since the last status report...   surely it's completely dried or died by now?

i'll bet that he/she sprayed cleaning juice directly on the screen?

moral - clean freaks get exactly what they deserve...

mgwynn wrote:

moral - clean freaks get exactly what they deserve...

be nice!

For future reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Gh3lF7KIE

tongue

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker