1 (edited by infocastme 2014-08-18 14:40:13)

Topic: Fun With Computer Viruses!

Well while cruising around the net, I came across a site that wanted to install a "proprietary" video player. Of course I got out of there as quickly as possible but it got me to thinking, what harm could it do? ;-)

Well I found a program called Reboot Restore RX http://www.horizondatasys.com/en/produc … 8#Features

From their page;

It’s a challenge to maintain public access PC's - at hotels, internet cafes, and libraries - where users are not always careful and usage is high. Reboot Restore Rx simplifies the management of PC's in shared computing environments...
Reboot Restore Rx is a non-restrictive hard drive restore product designed for public access PC management. The PC users feel as though they have complete control over the PC. But regardless of what they do, including erasing files, installing software or even hacking the system registry, Reboot Restore Rx will automatically restore the PC to a predefined baseline -- every time the workstation is restarted, or turned on. Making the workstations perfectly configured and available for the next user.

Well this is a freeware program for personal use, so is VMware Player. Put the two together and you have a nice playground to have fun and load whatever you want without worrying about the consequences! I loaded my copy of WinXP in the virtual machine without any virus protection and went fishing! Amazing what is out there when you engage in questionable practices without protection!

UPDATE!

What a bunch of fun this is! No wonder peoples computers run awful. I am clicking every popup that comes my way, even ones that are "official" like Adobe HD flash player. I never knew how many popups there are if you are unprotected. I turned my internet security to nothing so I get everything.

THE BIG WARNING!

Even though I am running in a VM, I am getting occasional warnings from my virus protection that some files are writing to the local drive and not the VM drive. Thank goodness for good virus software. I guess I really should be doing this on my linux machine and not worry too much about infections.

Re: Fun With Computer Viruses!

Adobe's infomercials are the only thing that has stopped every one of my PCs in their tracks. Although I think I'm vigilant, Adobe still tries to install some "bonus" with every update. (Typing this on my old XP netbook running Linux Mint off a USB stick, thanks to advice I got on this forum back during those "quiet times" here.)

Eh. VMs are for wimps. Real machines are where all the fun is at, and I've just restored my 2004 Toshiba to factory settings. Here's a before shot. If I ever get around to it, I'll post an "after" shot.
http://i.imgur.com/PhHM1uB.jpg

nathanm wrote:

Eh. VMs are for wimps. Real machines are where all the fun is at, and I've just restored my 2004 Toshiba to factory settings.

Ok, I double dare you to go cruising the web with IE at its lowest security setting and no virus protection, install browser bar addons and install every offer and update from pop ups that comes your way. ;-)

won't last 20 minutes.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

infocastme wrote:
nathanm wrote:

Eh. VMs are for wimps. Real machines are where all the fun is at, and I've just restored my 2004 Toshiba to factory settings.

Ok, I double dare you to go cruising the web with IE at its lowest security setting and no virus protection, install browser bar addons and install every offer and update from pop ups that comes your way. ;-)

http://www.scalemax.com/tlsupport/Crash_files/image006.jpg

My first attempt ended in semi-disappointment.

The laptop overheated when I was trying to save a screenshot to a USB flash drive (Firefox was a lost cause by this point), and you know what Reboot Restore Rx does, right? The only proof that I even did this is a low-res cell phone picture I'd made about 10 minutes earlier. Which I will share with you below.
http://i.imgur.com/aFEpflEl.jpg

nathanm wrote:

.... you know what Reboot Restore Rx does, right?

Yes I do! I could never get a good screen shot of the mayhem myself due to IE locking up with all the popups and virusware on the VM. After a couple of hours of gathering internet cooties, I did a restart into a fresh machine ready to do it all over again!

nathanm wrote:

The laptop overheated when I was trying to save a screenshot to a USB flash drive

Well after another round of "what else can I install or click on" I found out that the malware is not well optimized.

I was able to install 7 toolbars in IE before it came to a screeching halt. Just opening the browser put my CPU at 100% utilization. I waited for over an hour and it never dropped! I can see why your CPU overheated. Was not able to ascertain which addon  was causing the problem.

Just for giggles, I am going to try a different VM program (Oracle vs VMware)

In my experience, Virtual PC 2007 is the best VM for XP. You don't even have to install VMware Tools or Virtualbox Guest additions or anything.

nathanm wrote:

In my experience, Virtual PC 2007 is the best VM for XP. You don't even have to install VMware Tools or Virtualbox Guest additions or anything.

Well I did find out that using VirtualBox for testing was faster and less prone to freezing than VMware. One caveat was that I had to use an older version of VB due to the newer versions misbehaving which is a known issue. 

I might give Virtual PC 2007 a go just for more practice.

I think that I've won this.
I was bored, and decided to give the old "malware challenge" a go again, this time on a VM. I started doing my usual method of installing stuff using CNET, but that got old fast, especially when the programs slowed the computer down so much that it barely crawled. So I decided to go for the more hardcore stuff. There's a file out there (I found it in about 2 minutes. If you know what you're doing, you'll be fine) from about 2010 or so that contains over 50 "rogues" (fake antiviruses that just want your money, and say that you have a multitude of viruses to get at your credit card. I ran all of them, at the same time. If you want screenshots, click here.