Topic: Chumby 8 doesnt find my Wifi

Hi,

my new Chumby 8 doenst find my Wifi at home. At work i tested the Chumby already with our AVM Fritz!Box 7390 and it worked. At home ive got a AVM Fritz!Box 7390 too but i don't find it in the list to connect.

Some of my neighbor Wifi are in the list but not all 2,4Ghz Wifi i think.
My Wifi is named first "FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7390" and now its named "Piraten" to test if the name is the problem. Not solved sad

The Router is sending 5Ghz (SSID not changed. "FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7390") & 2,4Ghz at the same time & the Wifi is secured with WPA2 (CCMP), not WPA&WPA2 mixed.

The SSID is visible and there are no filter like MAC filter.

Who could help me?

Thanks in advance
Robert

Re: Chumby 8 doesnt find my Wifi

Hi, Creepyking.  Can you try adjusting the 2.4GHz wifi channel that your home router uses?  Perhaps the hardware in your C8 is desensitized to some channels.  It could also be a difference between the US and European channel schemes.  Looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels, a router on channel 12 or 13 wouldn't be seen by US gear.

Also, be sure this device is running the latest firmware.

Devices sold by thechumbystore have this installed before shipping, but new C8's acquired elsewhere most likely don't.

To install the latest firmware, see this thread:

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8654

Hi,

its solved!! smile
The channel was no. 13 - i changed to 8 and it worked! Hell yeah!

Thanks a lot!

Is it planned to change the country where the Chumby stands to use the "regional" channel too?

regional channel?

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

diamaunt
I'll guess he means any wifi channels beyond 11, such as 12 and 13 (which his Chumby was set to). And Japan even has 14.

anyone
Can the Chumby be configured to take advantage of channels 12 and 13 (if appropriate)? There is an allowance in the US for low power operation on 12 and 13, but you better know what you are doing as there is a restricted band for which no interference is allowed, and since I live next to an Air Force base I'm not inclined to that experiment. smile

Creepyking
Accessing 5GHz wifi channels is going to require two things. A compatible wifi device connected to the Chumby, and firmware support for those channels. Not impossible, buy beyond me.

For the CC/C1/I3, it does not appear that the RT73 Wifi dongle supports non-US country codes, and therefore not the additional channels.

I'm not sure about the Wifi in the I8/C8.