Topic: dezurking a c8

Not sure where to ask, but I have a chumby8 that has been "zurked", I'm trying to run the update file to restore the OS but I can't seem to get to the special menu.
I press the screen while booting with no results.

Advice sought.

Re: dezurking a c8

do you hold a finger on the screen from initial power on till it does something?

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

finally got to the special menu, loaded "new" software, now I can't get to the activate screen - with the device showing "home screen" ( 6 icons , channels through browser), I press the top button but nothing happens.

sigh...

if you're on the home screen, then pressing the 'hey, chumby' button (I'm sure there's some more proper name for it) does nothing.

if you *get* to that screen, then the chumby is activated already.

was it yours before we all had to climb into the lifeboat back in 2013 when the old service died?

if so, it's still registered on your account.

if you got it while we were in the lifeboat, then it's activated to someone else.

press the gear in the upper right, then device info and see who it's registered to.

if not to you, then you'll need info from that screen to enter into the 'deactivate a chumby' page on the webpage.

after deactivating it, reboot, then you can activate it as yours.

working!

well now that we have demonstrated that the lowest common denominator can do this everything should be fine!
appreciate the help, glad to see my c8 working again.

awesome to hear!