Re: Are we close?

Soon.

Some testing still going on.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Actually, today.

Actually, now.

as we hover over the consoles watching things start to happen, as chumby wakes from his long slumber.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Woohoo - just glanced over from my Dash to my chumby and noticed the new Clock - WOW! - this is exciting!  I did as it instructed (who doesn't just follow instructions from random unexpected UIs?!) and went to ww w. chumby .c om (URL broken per forum restrictions) to subscribe...but didn't see anything new... I read above that this is just a test, but...where can I find out more about the actual plan, e.g. subscription costs etc.?  Thanks so much for all of your hard work, and please let me know what I can do to help... big_smile

-looooooong time lurker, first time poster...!

it's live, www.chumby.com, you can subscribe on the 'my chumbys' page, or on the upper right corner.

you might need to refresh your browser cache if you're still getting the old web page.

Oh my actual gosh, it is indeed.  I was getting the "hey! what happened to my widgets?" content - in fact I still do at the no-w w w URL.  Can I use my "old" account or need to create new (not clear if this is new instance etc.?)?

!!!THANK YOU!!!

Duane worked VERY hard to preserve as much as possible, so that people wouldn't have to start over from scratch.

if he'd simply thrown away everything and started over with a clean database, and made everybody sign up fresh, it probably would have taken less time, but he wanted to preserve as much as he could, and make things better for you.

Unreal - I am in right now w/ my original account - amazing job guys!!!

now you see the subscribe link, yes?

I see it and have already subscribed - do I need to re-register my Chumby?  I do see it there, w/ my old channels and everything - amazing - but my Chumby itself still says "unsubscribed"?

ishotjr wrote:

I see it and have already subscribed - do I need to re-register my Chumby?  I do see it there, w/ my old channels and everything - amazing - but my Chumby itself still says "unsubscribed"?

You may need to reboot the device, or reload the channel.

!!!WORKING AFTER REBOOT!!! big_smile

Well done guys, this excites me way more than it probably should!!!

ishotjr wrote:

!!!WORKING AFTER REBOOT!!! big_smile

Well done guys, this excites me way more than it probably should!!!

someone will probably make fun of me for this, but when I started the beta testing, and saw the widgets come back on my chumbys... I actually got tears in my eyes...

and, again, today, when I looked at the WELCOME BACK. on the web page.

there's just something special about chumby;  the whimsy, the community, it's different, and I'm so glad that Duane wouldn't let it die.

Agree! big_smile  Thanks again to everyone who made this possible!!!

Now, broken widgets...where's the best place to discuss, e.g. I'm not clear on who would need to update the Twitter widget for what I assume is the classic breaking API issue...? cool

ishotjr wrote:

Agree! big_smile  Thanks again to everyone who made this possible!!!

Now, broken widgets...where's the best place to discuss, e.g. I'm not clear on who would need to update the Twitter widget for what I assume is the classic breaking API issue...? cool

widgets have always been controlled by the widget author, who is listed on the widget page.

I'm hoping that now that things are cranking up again, widget authors will come back, and new ones will step up.

I've got a problem and a question.

The problem is that the subscribe link doesn't seem to use SSL, so you can't have my CC number.

The question is about what a subscription covers.  Do I need one subscription per account or per device?

Personally, as much as I'm happy to see Chumby back alive, the unsubscribed state is pretty terrible.  The attractive LCARS clock has been replaced with a much uglier and less usable option. It feels a little like my Chumby is being ransomed...

I recommend people NOT take the update until you're sure you're going to subscribe.  Still, you should probably log into your old account and look around!

The actual subscription *does* go over SSL - the alert you see when you subscribe is hosted directly by the payment processor in an iframe.  At no time does any credit card data get transferred or stored on any of the Chumby servers, even in the logs.

If you're still worried, you can use the entire website as https://www.chumby.com, though some of the app previews probably won't work.

Ironically, people complained about the LCARS clock when it was first deployed.  I tried to maintain the functionality while toning down the geekiness.

when I first saw the new default clock, I though "I like that" and was a little sad that it's currently only available when unsubscribed...

perhaps the author will fix that *eyes Duane* wink

mdwyer wrote:

The question is about what a subscription covers.  Do I need one subscription per account or per device?

the subscription is per account, there's no surcharge per device.

Woo hoo! Three chumbys back in business with widgets just like before! Thank you!

FAT CAT IS BACK IN TOWN!!!

Subscribed!!!  wink)

Great job Duane.  I hope enough of us subscribe to keep the ball rolling. 

PS Even love the new clock.