Re: Power supply replacements for *ALL* Chumby devices

Does anyone have a solid supplier for a Chumby One power adapter? Every model suggested seems to be difficult to fine.

I found a Chinese supplier on Ebay claiming to have my exact Chumby One adaptor model FM050020-C, but they sent me a different model and now I cant trust Chinese suppliers on Ebay.

I really don't want to try the capacitor replacement because I would need to buy a lot more stuff to make that work, if i could get it to work at all.

Any suggestions?

27 (edited by steelpaw 2013-10-06 16:54:13)

You have four options in this situation:
1) do nothing and sell/throw away your Chumby
2) try and buy a replacement power supply. As you have found, this is very difficult because, although the power supply itself is quite common, the correct power supply with the correct tip is extremely rare.
3) repair your existing power supply. This is not difficult for people who already know how to solder and who have the appropriate tools. I don't think it is worth attempting if you don't have the tools and skills already - you'll need to buy things that you may never use again, and you will have to practise in order to attain a suitable level of soldering skill before you have a go at the Chumby. Inexpert soldering can damage the circuit board in such a way that it becomes difficult even for an expert to repair.
4) buy one of Doktor Jones' adaptors (see earlier posts in this thread). This adaptor allows a commonly available power supply with the wrong tip to be connected to the C1.
Thus, to more directly answer your question, no, noone has found a reliable supplier for C1 power supplies. That is why people are either repairing their existing power supplies or buying Doktor Jones' adaptors.

28 (edited by demarks51 2013-10-07 17:11:23)

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8438
Check out Digikey # CP-017-ND for a 3.2mm x 0.9mm solder-on connector tip. You must have a supply that delivers at least 2A (2000mA).

This worked for me.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

I hope this Forum is still active since I have two Chumby Ones. About a year ago one Chumby exhibited the common rebooting problem and I followed the excellent video posted at <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgbhG7JyT50>, replaced the 1000 microfarad capacitor and restored the Chumby to good health. Today my second Chumby developed the same problem. I dug out of collection of 1000 microfarad capacitors - I had to buy a package of five of eBay for very little money - and replaced the usual suspect in the second Chumby power supply. To my disappointment after the second Chumby booted up and the Control Panel appeared the screen went black! I found I could press the power button and restart the Chumby only to have the shutdown reoccur.

One other difference I noticed with this repaired power supply: when I pluggen it into the Chumby and then plugged it into the ac power, nothing happened until I pressed the Chumby's power button. With the other power supply, plugging in the power supply to the ac results in the Chumby (either one) starting up and remaining running.

I haven't read of any other repairs to the power supply beyond replacing the 1000 microfarad capacitor. Are their any other suggestions for power supply repair or, failing that any suggested source for a replacement power supply?

try switching the two power supplies, see if the problem follows the power supply.

if so, there might be another bad cap in the ps... check the others and see if any look bulgy.

any power supply that'll supply 2 amps at 5 volts will work, just swap the plug, since the plug is a hard size to find.

alternately, you can buy another power supply from the chumby store (see the header ^^^ up there wink)

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Diamaunt:

I thought I posted a reply to your post, but don't see it in the Forum. so, I'll post a response again.

I did as you suggested and swapping the Power Adapters, the problem followed the Power Adapter. I replaced the 1000 microfarad capacitor a second time and that did not help. I checked the output voltage and, not surprisingly, it was zero.

Rummaging around I found a 5-volt/2.2-amp Power Adapter that came with an old 2Wire DSL Modem/Router. I connected the Chumby power plug to the 2Wire and the Chumby is working great now! Why the Power Adapter did work for about five minutes after the first repair will remain a mystery.

Thanks for your support and advice.

Ken_in_NC wrote:

Diamaunt:

I thought I posted a reply to your post, but don't see it in the Forum. so, I'll post a response again.

you emailed me directly wink

as always, glad to have been of help!

will this power supply work with CC?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Plug-AC-100- … 4d2c00b813

no, the classic takes 12 volts, buy one here:

http://www.thechumbystore.com/chumby-cl … er-supply/

If you're looking for a third-party replacement for the chumby Classic power supply, this is what you need:

Power: 12VDC 1A (12W)
Connector: 2.1mm ID x 5.5mm OD x 9.5mm

If DoKtor Jones is still listening...

Happen to have any more CHumby One Adapters?

Cheers

thoeffel wrote:

If DoKtor Jones is still listening...

Happen to have any more CHumby One Adapters?

Cheers

Eep, sorry, I've been out of circulation a while... job changes, house buying, etc.

I think I still have a couple of these floating around if you still need one after all this time... if I do they should turn up in the moving process, so I will keep you posted.

Of all strange places, I just found a spare C1 adapter in my truck. So I've got at least one if someone needs one! $6 to cover postage if you're interested.

One of my Info8s blacked out Saturday. It was the power supply. Sliced connector into a 5v 3000ma power supply with different connector. First time it didn't work. Switched wires and it worked. Back to happy info8.

My oldest Chumby One quit when we had a power outage. Turns out the backup battery died. I took it out and the Chumby One restarted just fine. I think I am not going to replace the battery this time. I used to use this Chumby as an alarm clock and needed the backup. Now it just sits next to my desk and 99% of the time just tells me the time. :-/

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Seems like I had a spare battery in my drawer. Never needed it. I let you know if I find it. That's weird about the dead battery being a hinderance.