beta is coming along nicely.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Re: forum activity

diamaunt wrote:
Steevo wrote:

Now, if I could only quash the Space Clock once and for all. Heh

it's getting there!

beta is coming along nicely.

Are you saying I forgot to put a proper hosts file in the thing?

or even to sign up.

diamaunt wrote:

or even to sign up.

You are saying I forgot to sign up?

well, I don't see any record of a 'I volunteer' from you in my inbox.

6 (edited by Steevo 2014-05-03 11:29:03)

diamaunt wrote:

well, I don't see any record of a 'I volunteer' from you in my inbox.

That is correct, I sent no such email.
But I also don't recall any request to send such an email. 
Not like it would have just come to me in a dream.

Maybe I missed it.

Steevo wrote:

But I also don't recall any request to send such an email. 
Not like it would have just come to me in a dream.

Maybe I missed it.

perhaps smile http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9132

Well, yeah, I missed it.

I have to say, the forums are totally in the doldrums as of late, not much activity, no reason to see what's new since there is hardly anything new.

OK, so I am SSH into an infocast 3.5.
Gee that was easy.

steevo wrote:

I have to say, the forums are totally in the doldrums as of late, not much activity, no reason to see what's new since there is hardly anything new.

the new posts link in the upper right comes in handy for that

Yes, and I use it often.

The last 6 months, there are so few new posts. One or two, mostly mine.

are we on the same forum?  smile

not meaning to be argumentative,but since 2013-11-01, I see 1512 new posts on this forum, from 114 different people, 35 of which were yours, putting you in 10th place behind sweh, infocastme, demarks51, bobsz, Materdaddy, boloMKXXVIII, Nathanm, duane and myself, (maybe I talk too much *scratching head* big_smile

now, I know some of those are in the moderator forum, and some in the testing forum, but not a huge amount... I'd have to get more creative with my sql to get an exact count smile

13 (edited by Steevo 2014-05-03 15:58:34)

Well, when I check into the forum and click new posts, there are rarely more than a few posts.
Not what I call active.   Maybe there's a moderator forum that I don't know about.

I just clicked active topics, and I don't know how far back that goes, but this is the only one listed, this topic.

Steevo wrote:

Well, when I check into the forum and click new posts, there are rarely more than a few posts.
Not what I call active.   Maybe there's a moderator forum that I don't know about.

I just clicked active topics, and I don't know how far back that goes, but this is the only one listed, this topic.

since you were last on, I believe, but I could very well be wrong about that.

the last few months of the moderator forum have been very quiet after some new spam controls went in several moths ago (getting rid of spammers is the major moderation topic, nothing very interesting at all)

I've personally only seen one piece of spam in the last several months, which lasted a couple of minutes before I reported the author, deleted the topic, and banned the user. The testing forum itself is fairly inactive, with only one page, and the moderator forum is mostly populated with mundane testing information. By far, the public forums are the most active. It still scares me that I'm the third most active user, though.
EDIT: Despite being active, I still am only 14th in terms of post count. Diamaunt, you're 12th.

you caught that spam before it even showed up in my feed, and I think that's the only spam that's gotten through since january,  the new botcatcher has been working overtime I guess smile

the poster count I did was only for the last 6 months, wherein I've been the most chatty, but there's years of posts before i ever was able to convince myself to buy my first chumby. smile  (a lot of "I really want one, but it costs a bunch, but I really want one, but it costs a bunch (on near infinite repeat))

I've been here since early '11, so I've got a little over a 2 year head start on you, and you're only 43 posts behind me as of this writing smile

not that more is better or it's any kind of contest or anything. big_smile

The only reason I got it so quickly was because I was notified of another post made about 10 minutes before the spam-the IFTTT script I use with that feed takes between 10 and 15 minutes to notify me. Also, it's only 42 now.

As one of the most active spam killers, the new filter has pretty much put me out of a job. I am sure my post count has since dropped dramatically.

I may have to change my avatar. I wonder if I can make a Octy who twiddles its thumbs...after I give it thumbs.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Out of curiosity: What's the new tool / service you're using for spam protection?

it's an anti-bot module for punbb, fancy stop spam.

At least one of the forums I'm on (and I think it is this one) has the "New posts" functionality show _recent_ posts.  It doesn't show "unread" posts.  So if you don't use the forum frequently and just rely on the "New posts" link then it's very possible to miss unread messages.

So if I've not visited for a few days I quickly scan the whole list of forums looking for that tell-tale blueness of "unread"

sweh wrote:

At least one of the forums I'm on (and I think it is this one) has the "New posts" functionality show _recent_ posts.  It doesn't show "unread" posts.  So if you don't use the forum frequently and just rely on the "New posts" link then it's very possible to miss unread messages.

So if I've not visited for a few days I quickly scan the whole list of forums looking for that tell-tale blueness of "unread"

This is one of the things I don't like about punBB.

Most vBulletin forums I'm a member of track each thread for the specific user.  It actually remembers each individual thread's read/unread per user.  punBB uses your last visit to determine the threads.

In other words, on punBB, you can visit the index page, not read a single thread, come back an hour later and it won't show you any new posts (unless they were posted within the last hour).  This is terribly annoying because it forces you to read EVERY thread each time you visit, or you might miss one.

In some forums I visit I will look at only one or two sections at a time (depending on how much free time I'm trying to kill), but here I must check EVERY unread thread when I visit, or miss some threads.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker