1 (edited by directive0 2014-03-21 08:22:42)

Topic: Sound Problems - Intermittant

Since I've been playing with the chumb there have been instances where the audio will cut out with a pop. After this happens the chumby will not play sounds except for a much distorted click from the touchscreen click option being on, though this sound is often delayed by a half a second or so. There is a faint static sound from the rear right speaker but this is intermittent. Headphones seem affected also.

* Edit: Forgot to mention - Rebooting restores functionality.

Seems to me like a hardware issue, maybe a capacitor in the speaker driving circuit?

It happens extremely rarely, but naturally I'm hesitant to use this as an alarm clock if I can't trust the speakers.

Can anyone offer any advice? I'm quite capable of replacing any components be they through hole or SMD, just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

Re: Sound Problems - Intermittant

is there any pattern to when it happens?

I was able to dig up schematics for the chumbyone, but that won't do you too much good on a classic.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Purely cursory evidence seems to suggest it happens when picked up and held in the hand, at least two out of the 3 times it happened that was the case.

In all three instances I was touching the screen when it happened, in one instance I was adjusting volume.

http://files.chumby.com/hdwedocs/Rev37_release.pdf <-- Here's the chumby classic schematic

Not sure how much that is going to help, but hopefully somebody who knows hardware better can give you something to look for?

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

directive0 wrote:

Purely cursory evidence seems to suggest it happens when picked up and held in the hand, at least two out of the 3 times it happened that was the case.

In all three instances I was touching the screen when it happened, in one instance I was adjusting volume.

maybe your new chum is just shy... wink

er, I got nuthin.

Materdaddy wrote:

http://files.chumby.com/hdwedocs/Rev37_release.pdf <-- Here's the chumby classic schematic

Not sure how much that is going to help, but hopefully somebody who knows hardware better can give you something to look for?

oh, you're good, I couldn't find that and I googled and even went and looked behind the curtain on the server, the fact that it's not linked on the hacking page for ironforge and it's got a cryptic file name didn't help.. plus I'm still about half asleep.

ok, now it's in the wiki.

diamaunt wrote:
Materdaddy wrote:

oh, you're good, I couldn't find that and I googled and even went and looked behind the curtain on the server, the fact that it's not linked on the hacking page for ironforge and it's got a cryptic file name didn't help.. plus I'm still about half asleep.

I opened all of the PDFs I have in my "local mirror" and found it.  I'm sure I'm missing tons of stuff from the server, but a while back (when the state of things was unknown) I began running "wget -m" on a few places.  It's come in handy many times when there's something "missing" from the server, I have copies of some things.  Or in this case, I had a bunch of local PDFs to go through to easily eliminate things (and find ones with cryptic names).

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker