Topic: My Chumby said there was a software upgrade last night!

Is this the *BIG* upgrade, bringing the device back to life?

Re: My Chumby said there was a software upgrade last night!

No - but this is preparation for that.

There will be several of these happening before the relaunch as I align the devices to the new way of doing things.

Cool

Only my black C8 got the upgrade

The red C8 hasnt shown the upgrade

The clients check for updates fairly infrequently - it's possible that it make take a while for it to notice.  Or you can just reboot the red one.

my 8 and c1 hasn't asked me to upgrade either, and I've rebooted both eagerly wanting 'the new thing' smile

not that I'd notice any difference yet... but still, new!

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

diamaunt wrote:

my 8 and c1 hasn't asked me to upgrade either, and I've rebooted both eagerly wanting 'the new thing' smile

not that I'd notice any difference yet... but still, new!

If you rebooted, you'd get the new update- the C1 should say "2.8.86" instead of "2.8.85" in the corner of the control panel, for example.

Great, mine says 2.8.86!

Marc Silverman
New York City
SilverMarc.com | Chumbian.com
MY POWER TEAM: Macintosh, iPhone, Chumby, Geocaching, WheresGeorge.

The C8s are the only ones that get Control Panel update notifications.  If this were a firmware update, they'd all get update notifications.

What you should get after reboots are:

C1, CC, I3: 2.8.86
C8: 5.0.37
I8: 3.1.24

I just de-zurked my C8 and got 5.0.37. Yay!

Picked up a C8 about 6 months ago, knowing they were pretty limited, so seeing this update come through a few days ago is SO exciting.  Thanks to everyone involved!!!

gordonmd wrote:

How do you de-zurk?

I have an I8 I'd love to add back to the mix

I have a classic chumby I just rebooted.  He says HW: 3.8 SW: 1.7.2 FW 1830

If that right?  Or is there something I need to force?

That's the firmware version, and yes that's correct.  The versions listed above are the version of the Control Panel - on a 3.8" device, you can see that version number on the main screen in the upper right, above the volume control.

philhu wrote:
gordonmd wrote:

How do you de-zurk?

I have an I8 I'd love to add back to the mix

philhu: I had very cleverly saved an image before I Zurked in the first place. I could upload the image if there is an appropriate place and its legal??? Just tell me where

default chumby firmware is availble, see this thread: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8654

16 (edited by philhu 2014-03-07 07:50:00)

diamaunt wrote:

default chumby firmware is availble, see this thread: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8654

Ok, so that puts my back in my Infocast broken loop of fun.

A while back, I did zurk on the infocast-8 because the chumby sat at the insignia 'Please wait' screen forever.  Trying for special mode by touching screen, did the same please wait.

The only thing that worked is putting zurk on a usb stick and booting it, which lets it load its special firmware and work as a zurk device

If I try to go into usb firmware upgrade mode, it hangs at please wait, so I need some way to autoboot a stick with the new firmware on it  (Like zurk did) because otherwise it just hangs

philhu wrote:
diamaunt wrote:

Ok, so that puts my back in my Infocast broken loop of fun.

A while back, I did zurk on the infocast-8 because the chumby sat at the insignia 'Please wait' screen forever.  Trying for special mode by touching screen, did the same please wait.

The only thing that worked is putting zurk on a usb stick and booting it, which lets it load its special firmware and work as a zurk device

If I try to go into usb firmware upgrade mode, it hangs at please wait, so I need some way to autoboot a stick with the new firmware on it  (Like zurk did) because otherwise it just hangs

Have you tried taking it apart and re-imaging the MicroSD card? There should be an image somewhere in the forums.

There's a ROM image of 1.0.5 firmware at:

http://files.chumby.com/firmware/infoca … a0.img.zip

I haven't tested it myself - I not really in a position to provide "official" support for Infocast products.

If that doesn't work, then I'll try to find the time to dig up an Infocast 8 from my collection and build an image.

I don't have a 'virgin' I8 anymore, after finding mine had the crytpo processor, I ended up convincing it that it was a C8 and faked the crypto processor...

I've emailed gordonmd about the image he's got, and can put that up, if Duane doesn't find an I8 first.

I'd appreciete it.  Sure would hate to throw this away....

21 (edited by philhu 2014-03-07 10:37:19)

Duane wrote:

There's a ROM image of 1.0.5 firmware at:

http://files.chumby.com/firmware/infoca … a0.img.zip

I haven't tested it myself - I not really in a position to provide "official" support for Infocast products.

If that doesn't work, then I'll try to find the time to dig up an Infocast 8 from my collection and build an image.

BTW, this image returns a '404 not found' from:
http://files.chumby.com/firmware/infoca … A0.img.zip

slight typo, it's at http://files.chumby.com/firmware/infoca … a0.img.zip (lower case A), I edited the earlier posts to point to the right location.

This is exciting! I just brought my Chumby One back to life - thought it had died internally. It's been sitting in a closet for a couple of years! Came across it the other day and started doing some research and found out it might be a power supply issue. I took the risk and ordered a $6 power supply from Amazon, spliced the end off of the old supply on to the new one, and, shazam, it's working! Came to the forums to see what's up, and what-do-you-know, there's been some big stuff happening! I'm stoked!

mtietje wrote:

I'm stoked!

Welcome back!

mtietje wrote:

This is exciting! I just brought my Chumby One back to life - thought it had died internally. It's been sitting in a closet for a couple of years! Came across it the other day and started doing some research and found out it might be a power supply issue. I took the risk and ordered a $6 power supply from Amazon, spliced the end off of the old supply on to the new one, and, shazam, it's working! Came to the forums to see what's up, and what-do-you-know, there's been some big stuff happening! I'm stoked!

you get the "I saved a Chumby" award!

and, welcome back, yes, things are starting to be exciting around here again!