Topic: RSS widget question, may or may not have been dsicussed already

I don't know whether this has anything to do with the crossdomain.xml problem described before, but I was wondering whether the RSS reader widget should normally support images or not.  I don't know much about RSS and XML, but some RSS feeds have images with them and it would be nice if the RSS feed widget could display these.  Is this related to the previously discussed problem, or is it a limitation of the current RSS widget?

Re: RSS widget question, may or may not have been dsicussed already

The RSS standard does not have an image tag - images are typically done by embedding an IMG tag in an HTML block in the article summary. Some sites add images using custom vendor extension tags.

That makes it tough to support images for an arbitrary RSS feed without a full HTML renderer or a widget designed specifically for the particular feed.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense.  I wonder if this would even be possible on the hardware.

Did the RSS widget get changed?  I noticed that the look is different, in a good way.  Much cleaner.

Yes, we've migrated it to a new style, which auto-scrolls through the articles in the feed when they extend beyond one chumby screen. You can also use the touchscreen to manually move the article up-and-down, and touching the screen temporarily pauses the article.

Glad you like it!

Great to see the RSS reader upgraded with scrolling. Even long articles are displaying now; great to be able to get local TV headlines, Sierra Club news articles, Chumby RSS feeds, etc.  I'm now using about 6 RSS readers to fetch info...

This week, I saw my Chumby forum question and an answer on my Chumby just a few minutes later... fun!

- Rich

Dallas TX
Chumby1 Birthday 11/1/07