Topic: Can somebody please upload the Chumby One ROM Image?

I know that it's stupid, and wishy-washy, and a waste of time, but I'd like to try to re-image my Infocast to the Chumby One firmware to remove the branding. However, the SD card image that ChumbyLurker posted here: http://files.chumby.com/resources/chumb … ng.img.zip is not there. Can somebody either tell me that this is a fruitless endeavor or that they have this file uploaded somewhere? Duane, if you're reading this, at some point could you upload this to files.chumby.com? I know you have other stuff to do, but if it's not too much trouble, than this would also help the rest of the Chumby community with their non-stupid ideas. Thanks in advance to anybody who replies to this thread.

Re: Can somebody please upload the Chumby One ROM Image?

Try:

http://files.chumby.com/resources/chumb … .7.img.zip

That should be more recent than the one you referenced in your post.

I'm in the process of uploading the old one too, if you still want it.

Thanks! I appreciate the support, especially when you're trying to rebuild the Chumby service at the same time.

4 (edited by billyjack669 2014-02-25 09:29:37)

What's the proper method to use this?  On a USB flash drive or is this to be imaged onto the MicroSD card?  Any Windows instructions link if the latter is the case?  Thanks so much! 

LOL, looked at the archive and it's an image file.  That answers that!

billyjack669 wrote:

What's the proper method to use this?  On a USB flash drive or is this to be imaged onto the MicroSD card?  Any Windows instructions link if the latter is the case?  Thanks so much! 

LOL, looked at the archive and it's an image file.  That answers that!

rom images are to be put on a microsd card for insertion in the unit.  I'm afraid someone else will have to help with the windows side of thing, or look for windows utils that do what 'dd' does on unix.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

You can use a program called Win32DiskImager, but since I'm on my phone right now you'll have to google it.

If you use Win32DiskImager make very sure you are pointing at the correct drive (microSD card) before you write the image. You could accidently overwrite the wrong drive. I haven't done it, but I have heard stories...

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

An update on my process of conversion:
The 1.0.3 firmware image gives me the Chumby One boot images, but doesn't want to load any flash files.
The 1.0.7 firmware image gives me all Insignia branding.
If I load the 1.0.4 firmware update on top of the 1.0.7 image, I get Chumby branding on the 3rd and 4th boot screens, but Insignia branding on the 1st and 2nd screens. The screen appeared to be calibrated upside-down, but I fixed that by recalibrating it. If I could somehow reapply the two bootloader screens, It'd be great, but right now what I have is good. Duane, if being on 1.0.4 costs you more money, or is less server-efficient, just say it and I'll be back on 1.0.7.

The branding is not set in the firmware - there's an identifier in the separate "crypto" processor on the motherboard itself that declares the device to be an Insignia Infocast or a Chumby One - some parts of the system use that identifier to decide whether or not to show Insignia branding.

There is no difference in server load - the Insignia website and service was just a different skinning to the user-facing website, but the backend is the same system for all devices (up until the dash split out).

-- Duane

No, what I was trying to say was if having the older version of the firmware is costing you more money.

the only diff at ths point is how much load it puts on the server, and that, at this point, doesn't matter from one version to the other.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

If you're thinking the hosting costs, then no.  Those files are actually hosted on the same server as the forum.

I didn't put up all of the files that were on the original files.chumby.com because so much of it was random unused stuff, several GB worth.  I put only what I thought would be useful, but I didn't put some of the older ROM images up until you asked.

I actually meant how server-efficient it was, but I have since come up with another solution (Check the Infocast board).