Topic: Some of my widgets are pissing my web host

I have made several widgets for the Chumby (and Dash). Somehow, a couple of these widgets are still making request over at my web host. I can't either update or delete my widgets to fix this. The Dash dev site is closed. No way to access this... either is the chumby. How can I delete these widgets? Or update them?

Re: Some of my widgets are pissing my web host

You probably can't do nothing about the Dash, but still, some traffic comes from Chumby.com acording to my host. Can you guys do something about this?

I don't know much about firewall configuration, but why not block *.chumby.com in your firewall? I'm not directly related to Chumby, but Duane may have a better suggestion.

I have received an email from Duane. It's coming from Sony's Dash. But Sony pretty much abandonned their platform. In short, the widgets are still running but Sony closed the dev site. As I said to Duane, It's like having your child at the Ikea Kindergarten and not being able to pick him back up. And for some reason, these requests have increased significantly.

Some clueless support girl said they were to contact me on monday. I had to pretend my widgets were currupt and would make their lunch room soda machine explode.

Yuzzy wrote:

I have received an email from Duane. It's coming from Sony's Dash. But Sony pretty much abandonned their platform. In short, the widgets are still running but Sony closed the dev site. As I said to Duane, It's like having your child at the Ikea Kindergarten and not being able to pick him back up. And for some reason, these requests have increased significantly.

Some clueless support girl said they were to contact me on monday. I had to pretend my widgets were currupt and would make their lunch room soda machine explode.

That's... quite the idiom. Anyway, I hope your problem has been solved. Even if it isn't, apparently Sony's going to shut down the Dash service sometimes this year. This is from a forum user on Sony's forum and I don't know if it's true or not, but it may solve those problems if Sony doesn't.

Some widgets may *appear* to come from chumby.com, because the Sony dash has a hosts file that maps the chumby.com domain to some of their servers in order for the security sandbox to work - so the HTTP "Referer" (sic) may show that domain for the hits.  You *might* see similar behavior from device using modified firmware using a similar trick.

No widgets are currently hosted on any *real* chumby.com domain at the moment, with the exception of everyone's favorite widget, the Space Clock.  Obviously it's the runaway favorite since everyone's using it.

If Sony end-of-lifes the dash service, I'll reach out to see if there's any way they'd allow me to support them - however, it's *very* unlikely to happen since it would require disabling the DRM they have, which turn would expose some security keys used for their media player.  And you can't replace the firmware without the proper signature.

man, am I glad I bought real chumbies.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

One of my Widget on the Dash loads another .swf that was hosted by me. My host tells me that they received more than 50 000 requests a day since a few week. LOLLLL... If I could acces my Dev account on Dash, I'de transform this widget into a Google Adsence banner... LOLLL And pay Chumby all their expenses for revival.

Yuzzy wrote:

One of my Widget on the Dash loads another .swf that was hosted by me. My host tells me that they received more than 50 000 requests a day since a few week. LOLLLL... If I could acces my Dev account on Dash, I'de transform this widget into a Google Adsence banner... LOLLL And pay Chumby all their expenses for revival.

can you replace the swf with something that either redirects, or a flash that just sits there saying "you really need to remove this, it's dead!"

wink

Replace it with a swf with a picture of an Xbox One.  I'm sure that will get their attention.

Duane wrote:

Replace it with a swf with a picture of an Xbox One.  I'm sure that will get their attention.

"you mean i can use my sony dash to control my xbox one? AWESOME!"

that should keep 'em busy for a while.