Re: Any Chance change to different clock

Doktor Jones wrote:

You could put it in the night mode clock, which simply displays the time white-on-black.  Turn up the night-mode brightness if you'd like.  Of course if you actually use night mode, that might be somewhat more problematic tongue

OK, I give up. How do you do this?
If I put it in Night mode it is dim. If I go back to panel to change brightness it switches out of night mode.

27 (edited by steelpaw 2013-04-12 17:08:06)

You go to the Control Panel and select 'Settings'. From there select 'Brightness'. There you will find two sliders - one adjusts the 'Day' brightness, one adjusts the 'Night' brightness. The 'Night' slider adjusts the brightness of Night Mode, independently of the brightness of Day mode. Edit: you will have to keep leaving the brightness adjustment page and returning to Night Mode to check whether the setting is to your liking or not.
As Doktor Jones noted, this may be a problem if you want the Chumby to be dark at night. However, you've said that the Chumby is in your family room, so it may not be an issue. If it is, you could always set the Day brightness to be extremely dim, and use Night mode in the daytime and Day mode in the nighttime.

I have an original Chumby. I only see two buttons on brightness.  Brighter and Dim .  No day or Night

That's a "3.7" CC, so it only supports three fixed brightness settings - bright, dim, and off, and "Night Mode" is hardcoded to "dim" (though you can also make it "dark" when in Night Mode).

What people are proposing (set the Night Mode brightness slider to full brightness) will only work in "3.8" CC or later devices.

30 (edited by nathanm 2013-07-05 10:16:40)

Sorry for the bump, but I edited Christian's old offline firmware with the first link I posted a long while back, the large Blue Digital Clock. Just unzip it to a USB drive, plug into your Chumby, and reboot. I also fixed it so music will play.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3asgik91bpbitn4/BigClock.zip

Sorry that I didn't do this, but if you want to use the newer 2.8.8.5 control panel, just right-click the following link, click "Save Target/Link As" and save it to your flash drive as controlpanel.swf.

http://chumbyfiles.s3-website-us-west-2 … 2.8.85.swf

nathanm wrote:

Sorry for the bump, but I edited Christian's old offline firmware with the first link I posted a long while back, the large Blue Digital Clock. Just unzip it to a USB drive, plug into your Chumby, and reboot. I also fixed it so music will play.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3asgik91bpbitn4/BigClock.zip

Sorry that I didn't do this, but if you want to use the newer 2.8.8.5 control panel, just right-click the following link, click "Save Target/Link As" and save it to your flash drive as controlpanel.swf.

http://chumbyfiles.s3-website-us-west-2 … 2.8.85.swf

Thanks for the files, these will prove useful.

I'm the developer of this: http://dash.dash.sel.sony.com/guide/wid … ock%20BETA

The clock was designed to be readable from far away, and has fully customizable colors. Since it seemed to be popular back then (according to the weather API overuse notifications I kept getting tongue), I just wanted to say that if anyone's interested, I'd be more than willing to release it to the public domain (and make it open source if needed).

I just wanted to say that if anyone's interested, I'd be more than willing to release it to the public domain (and make it open source if needed).

Hi idmadj, i love your clock from the firts time i used it. Now i am running zurks offline firmware and cant customize it. Specialy the weather part is always zero. The config will refer to chumbys infrastruktur and as you know there is no chance to change it on the homepage anymore.

Is there way i can tweak to use a lokal config file?

idmadj wrote:

I'm the developer of this: http://dash.dash.sel.sony.com/guide/wid … ock%20BETA

The clock was designed to be readable from far away, and has fully customizable colors. Since it seemed to be popular back then (according to the weather API overuse notifications I kept getting tongue), I just wanted to say that if anyone's interested, I'd be more than willing to release it to the public domain (and make it open source if needed).

I'm not sure I'd get to playing with it, but as a proponent of FOSS, I'd love it if you released it.

I'd make sure you legally *can* release it first, it might be owned by Sony/Chumby depending on the terms when you wrote it and submitted it to them.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Neither Chumby nor Sony would have any ownership rights of a third-party widget - the only rights that a widget author grants is the right to redistribute the widget (obviously essential for the service).

It seems we have had a few widget authors come here and say "it's fine if users can use my widget."
None have claimed their IP to any extent, except for the guy who didn't like Sony.

I suspect most if not all would be fine with users using their widgets.  They wrote them for free, they uploaded them for free.

It's been a long time, is there any progress on the restoral of the chumby service?

I am getting tired of this clock.

How can I help?

* I'm looking to use the Chumby one 3.5" as an alarm clock> I'm not concerned with what the display looks like but would like to> now ask for a feature that TURNS OFF THE DISPLAY at night, and turns the display back on when the Alarm goes off.

*Is this a possible feature request with new software, or is this already available in the Dim menu> where I can just trun the display off.

chumby008 wrote:

* I'm looking to use the Chumby one 3.5" as an alarm clock> I'm not concerned with what the display looks like but would like to> now ask for a feature that TURNS OFF THE DISPLAY at night, and turns the display back on when the Alarm goes off.

*Is this a possible feature request with new software, or is this already available in the Dim menu> where I can just trun the display off.

I think that all works. There are alarms now, and they work. I could be wrong.

chumby008 wrote:

dim is the feature you want.

if you want to dim it automatically, then you need to enable ssh and then set night mode automatically

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

*OK so when the dim feature is set to on> the unit will stay dim at night> and will still sound the alarm in the morning?

There is a "custom" alarm type that allow you to put the device into and out of "night mode" - i.e. clock only on a dim screen.

My own chumbys do this - they automatically go into night mode at 10pm and back to normal at 8 am.  The one I have at my office goes into night mode at 6pm and out at 9am.  Any alarms that fire when the device is in night mode will turn the display back on - if you "snooze" the alarm, it will go back into night mode until the alarm fires again, and if you accept the alarm, then the device will go into normal operation.

*OK, so* You can set it to go into night mode at specific times of the day> say 9:00pm-8:00AM display is off(but alarm is still functional)> after which it the display will turns back on when alarm goes off> and stays on until 9:00pm that night.

I just want to confirm I can program the alarm with an internet radio station to wake up to.

yes, you can program night mode in multiple ways, you can even make it go completely dark if the small amount of light that night mode gives you bothers you.

alarms will work no matter whether the display is on or not.

the chumby will do what you want, and much, much, much more.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

43 (edited by chumby008 2014-03-05 11:53:27)

* OK, I understand it can now be programmed with online scripts etc> I've been looking at a compact clock radio with internet function etc> I was going to purchase the REVO Pixis RS internet radio> but right now the chumby will do everything it can do and more, as well as being much more compact and can be placed almost anywhere.