Topic: Mixed up dd if= and of= now no chumby one

I am hoping someone can help. I was troubleshooting my Chumby one and after a few hours checking things out and figuring out why it locked up I found the internal SD card was having issues. So I pulled the internal SD card out and was going to image it over to a new SD card but I mixed up /sdb and /sdc. So I imaged a blank 2GB partition over the card that came from the Chumby One.

So is there a way to restore the software back to the new SD card?

Thanks for any help!

Re: Mixed up dd if= and of= now no chumby one

I found that I can restore the image from rom-falconwing.img.zip however all links to this file are 404 since they all point back to the Chumby servers.

4dolfin wrote:

I found that I can restore the image from rom-falconwing.img.zip however all links to this file are 404 since they all point back to the Chumby servers.

Have you tried using the Wayback Machine? They've indexed this site pretty well.

nathanm wrote:

Have you tried using the Wayback Machine? They've indexed this site pretty well.

Ah, found it. I downloaded the file they had, rom-falconwing.img.zip, and the image file was about 400MB.

Now I am trying dd if=rom-falconwing.img of=/dev/sdb bs=64M and it has been sitting there for a while. How long should it take?

4dolfin wrote:

Ah, found it. I downloaded the file they had, rom-falconwing.img.zip, and the image file was about 400MB.

Now I am trying dd if=rom-falconwing.img of=/dev/sdb bs=64M and it has been sitting there for a while. How long should it take?

Getting closer. dd took about 10 minutes. Now it is in the Chumby and it gets stuck on the orange, green, white bubbles. I'll let it sit there for a while to see if it progresses any further.

I believe all images should be live and available at files.chumby.com and should be linked from somewhere on the wiki. I'll try to confirm this when I have more time and a screen larger than 5", unless someone else feels like checking. In the meantime, you seem to have found a copy so the immediate concern has been addressed.

If I can at least find the file directly @ files.chumby.com I'll link it here and post the md5sum so you can verify your copy is the Real McCoy smile

I believe the blue bubbles screen is drawn by the bootloader, then the orange/green/white bubbles screen is drawn by the kernel.  If nothing happens shortly thereafter, I'm guessing it's stuck somehow.  My guess would be the partitions aren't setup correctly on the SD card and init is failing.

Since you already have the chumby open, do you have access to a TTL->Serial adapter of some sort so you can hook up a console and see what's going on with the boot?

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Materdaddy wrote:

I believe the blue bubbles screen is drawn by the bootloader, then the orange/green/white bubbles screen is drawn by the kernel.  If nothing happens shortly thereafter, I'm guessing it's stuck somehow.  My guess would be the partitions aren't setup correctly on the SD card and init is failing.

Since you already have the chumby open, do you have access to a TTL->Serial adapter of some sort so you can hook up a console and see what's going on with the boot?

I let it sit for a while and after a few reboots it started working. I grabbed Zurk's and put it on an external SD card but I'd really like to put it on the internal. I am confused by the instructions included with the zip file.
I SSH into the chumby, changed my password.
Did the first few steps but stuck at
"cp -ir all the files keeping the directory structure intact one directory at a time (careful!)."
I don't understand what I should be copying and from where to where.

4dolfin wrote:

Did the first few steps but stuck at
"cp -ir all the files keeping the directory structure intact one directory at a time (careful!)."
I don't understand what I should be copying and from where to where.

You're not likely to get much support for zurk firmware here.  For those, you will probably have more luck on his forums.  Good luck!

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

ah, no problem. I'll head over there then. Looks like I am back in business though.

Thanks for all your help, guys!