Topic: Chumby8 - Lost

Hi all - I am trying to read through all the posts and my head is spinning. 

I used my Chumby8 for weather updates, news briefs, word-of-the-day type stuff, etc.  I have tried using an Android tablet and although I can get all types of similar apps, they don't remain on or scroll as my Chumby8 did.  I sold the tablet.

Would Zurk firmware be of any help to me?  Is there any hope that I will be able to enjoy the things I used to enjoy with my beloved Chumby8 again or should I just try and sell it?  My bedroom just isn't the same....

Re: Chumby8 - Lost

Duane is trying to get the service working and cheaper to host (Duane-if you're reading this, how's that going?) so you can have your widgets back again. For now, that clock is pretty cool, and the device still does its other functions (eg: internet radio). Unless you like XML editing, Zurk's firmware won't be a help. Whatever you do, don't sell it! At this point, you're not going to get more than $40 anyway. I hope some of the more senior forum members can be a bigger help than I can, though.

Thanks, Nathan!  I know Duane is working on and an update would be nice. 

Regrettably, all of my media playing needs are met by my Smart TV and Grace digital tuner for audio.  I hate to say it, even $40 would be better than having my poor Chumby8 taking up space, looking sad, on my dresser.  I certainly don't want to do any XML work, so clearly Zurk's firmware isn't for me.

Let's see what Duane comes up with.  I was one of the people who said they would gladly pay for service and if there is hope on the horizon, I can wait.

4 (edited by Doktor Jones 2013-06-11 09:01:42)

you dont need to do XML work to run Zurk's firmware. you just unzip to a usb stick and boot up.

edited to douse flame. please don't make me do that again.
-- Doktor Jones

5 (edited by Materdaddy 2013-06-12 09:27:11)

delaney9 wrote:

you dont need to do XML work to run Zurk's firmware. you just unzip to a usb stick and boot up.

Don't you have to edit XML to change the locale for things like weather from Zurk's default, or is there a way to do those types of modifications on the device while up and running now?  It's been a while since I've run Zurk's firmware.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Truthfully, I try to stay out of group politics.  All I want is at least my weather apps back or something similar. 

I have no problem setting anything up with friendly GUI.  Any thing short of that knocks me out of the game from a tech standpoint.  I know my limitations.  Also, I did go to where Zurk stores his links to look around and when I clicked on any of them, I got that 404 error.  I don't know if it was the hosting website having a problem or what, but it didn't bolster my confidence.

7 (edited by bobsz 2013-06-10 21:45:33)

@scottier1- sorry for delaney99's little flaming. It's not usually partisan like that on this forum. But, if you do lose patience, you can certainly sell your C8 here for that $40 or so. Post it in the Market with specs or p.m. me, I'd be interested. I'm enjoying my C8 just as a Web radio with slide show/clock overlay.

Thanks, Bobsz.  I am going to wait to see what Duane says and then I will put it on the market.  I may try Craigslist locally since I don't have the box; this way there isn't any shipping involved.  Also, I am going to try for a few bucks more.  If that turns up nothing, you will be the first person I tell.  Would you mind letting me know what it does currently do?  At this point, is it just a big-screened alarm clock?

Beyond the clock it can show pictures and (biggest benefit) it is an internet radio.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

10 (edited by bobsz 2013-06-11 14:22:18)

@scottier1 - you should definitely keep it. If you ever do want to sell it, it's worth more than $40, especially to us around here.

It can play beautiful slideshows from an SD Card. I use one card of my local pictures and another of NASA images. The big thing is you can add a clock overlay to the pictures. And/or you can add a calendar overlay. See these fuzzy shots

http://imgur.com/p53dUDE

http://imgur.com/B32o44V

Definitely worth keeping, even without the widgets. The overlays can be a little tricky to set up some times. Ask if you need hints. You can also adjust display time and type of transition fade. On another whole topic, you can also add your own music source, memory card or USB. There's a lot to do with that "alarm clock!"

I just recently got a smart TV and also find it a "passable" Chumby substitute, which is pretty funny when you consider the amount of money that service costs. Not to mention, then "they" know what teams you follow and if you prefer left wing or right wing versions of the news. I'd much prefer keeping that kind of information between me and Duane.

I forgot about another C8 goodie that still works- the browser. The "chumbrowser" is basic but fun. I'm going to have to stop saying good things about the C8 or nobody will want to sell me another!

I still can't get my chumbrowser to work on my "I8 to C8" unit. Still no advice I can use to make it work. It just says that this device does not have browser enabled.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.