Topic: rebuild µSD card for Chumby8

Hello,

I think I messed up my chumby8 rom (µSD) because it does not boot anymore (stays on the screen with chumby in the middle for a few minutes then screen goes black).

Where can I find a ROM file that I could "dd" on the µSD card from a linux system ?

TiA.

Re: rebuild µSD card for Chumby8

Will it go into "safe mode"?

3 (edited by rejo 2013-05-26 10:44:56)

Helo Duane,

What do you mean by "safe mode" ?

When I power up the chumby8, it first displays the chumby logo in the middle of the screen then I get a blue screen with chumby eyes then back to chumby logo in the middle and it stays like that for a few minutes and then the screen goes black....

If you power up while touching the display, it boots from a different partition.  If you can boot that way, then you can do a firmware update to fix the firmware.

In this case, the screen does not light up at all.

6 (edited by rejo 2013-05-26 13:40:51)

I tried another way that seems to give good results :
I power up the chumby and immediatly after that I touch the screen and keep it pressed. And I get the "special options" screen and touch screen calibration

I then did a "reset factory settings". It reboots... and finally back to the same fixed chumby logo screen :-(

rejo wrote:

I tried another way that seems to give good results :
I power up the chumby and immediatly after that I touch the screen and keep it pressed. And I get the "special options" screen and touch screen calibration

I then did a "reset factory settings". It reboots... and finally back to the same fixed chumby logo screen :-(

What you have to do is download the firmware from this link (Click on the Chumby 8 link), unzip it to a flash drive, (I don't have a Chumby 8, so if this doesn't work, just put the .zip at the root of the drive) put the drive in the Chumby and click something that says something like Firmware Update, and then tap Update from USB. After the update and reboot, it should work fine, although you'll have to reset your Wifi and My Streams settings.

nathanm wrote:

..., unzip it to a flash drive....

Do not unzip the file .

Thanks a lot. My Chumby is back to life :-)

Glad to hear it, and thanks for reporting back! (Many users -- and this isn't specific to Chumby -- get their problem resolved and just vanish)

Doktor Jones wrote:

... (Many users -- and this isn't specific to Chumby -- get their problem resolved and just vanish)

I often participate to forums on the other side of the fence so I know what you mean.....