Re: Web Browser

Hey blystovski, any chance you can post a video so we can see this in action?

@Izrun - not much to see that's worth a video.  It's just the standard Squeezecenter administration web page running on a small touch screen.  It functions exactly the same as it does on your PC, only with touch events instead of a mouse.  I don't have one, but my guess is that it appears and functions the same exact way on a tablet PC or iPad (even though the iPad and Android tablets have purpose-built Squeezecenter control apps).

Via Google image search...

http://www.ulverston.myzen.co.uk/mini-i … center.png

153 (edited by icehole 2011-02-23 20:50:29)

Ken wrote:
chumbyfly wrote:

After using the browser to browse for a while, it will automatically reload and bring me back to the www.chumby.com home page with all bookmarks and history erased as if the browser was just booted from USB.

Looks like something caused the browser to crash.  Since the execution of the browser is wrapped in a while loop, the browser will simply be restarted upon crashing.  The bookmarks not being correctly saved has been reported previously; likely a bug in the Qt demo browser code.

I'm not sure what caused your crash, but the web browser is using an older Qt library...  Some of these problems may go away if someone was to build a version of the browser that uses the newer Qt 4.7.1 libs by following the Web Browser build instructions and substituting the latest version of Qt. smile

I, also, am having the problem with the browser crashing.
I'm also having the problem with the touchscreen calibration being off / opposite.

I am trying to use the 8" Infocast to monitor a home security system.
The 'WV' browser looks like exactly what I am looking for, but it crashes/reboots in a loop after logging in to the site, while loading the monitor page, but before loading the video portion of the page.

It would also be nice if the browser would either:
1) Remember the login / password on the web page; or:
2) Have a pop-up keyboard for entering the login/password. (http://www.greywyvern.com/code/javascript/keyboard)

Has anyone built a version of the browser with the newer library?
I'm hoping that it will fix the browser from crashing.

154 (edited by blystovski 2011-02-24 05:38:37)

@icehole - have you tried opening the camera's URL in the standard browser (not wv)?  Also, would you mind posting the web page's source here?  I'm thinking that there may be something on the website that the Chumby browser can't handle - but it's just a hunch until you post the page source.  As for the reversed screen and calibration issues - what firmware version is the device running...?  Good luck - sounds like a nice application for this little device!

blystovski wrote:

@icehole - have you tried opening the camera's URL in the standard browser (not wv)?  Also, would you mind posting the web page's source here?  I'm thinking that there may be something on the website that the Chumby browser can't handle - but it's just a hunch until you post the page source.  As for the reversed screen and calibration issues - what firmware version is the device running...?  Good luck - sounds like a nice application for this little device!

Well, I'm away from my toys for a week or so, but here is a demo website, same server software:

http://173.200.65.210/webview/default2.htm
Login: dvrusa
Password: client

I did try with both the standard browser, and the wv, and (on the server side) both the streaming JPEG and MPEG (selected from below the login & password entry boxes).

I am really hoping this will work!

thanks,

David

blystovski wrote:

The "touch" skin isn't bad, but sadly it seems that this server-side setting is global - I can't set different IP's to receive a different skin (since I would like my laptop to get the default and the Infocast to get the touch).

blystovski, you can set the IP to http://192.168.1.20:9000/Touch on the Infocast to use the Touch interface. Another interesting interface is the Tablet, based on the Touch - "http://192.168.1.20:9000/Tablet".  Using these interfaces on the Infocast shouldn't affect your laptop using the default, "http://192.168.1.20:9000".

I've been using the web browser (the original one, not "wv" version) on and off for awhile as a controller for my squeezecenter system.  It works, but is balky and slow.  I suspect that's because it's running from the USB drive.  How's your response?  Are you running from USB?

What do the "btplad" lines that you added get you (I'm not a Linux programmer)?  Is the Infocast now a squeezecenter player in addition to a controller?

Good luck on developing a new squeezecenter interface for the Infocast.  I'd be real interested in hearing how it goes.

I was having trouble with blystovski's guide, but I think I found the problem and now it works great for me.  You need to put & after each command so they run in the background.  So now you should put

btplayd &
btplay http://192.168.1.20:9000/stream.mp3 &

before the do statement.  Now I need to figure out how to get Pandora running through the streaming interface smile  And yes, oldfolkie, it does play through the infocast.

158 (edited by ryoohki 2011-02-28 01:06:03)

After running "gcc" and installing the dev environment without any errors, I started to follow the wiki Web Browser installation instructions but couldn't get far.  Something is wrong wth the perl setup:

chumby-12-34-56:/mnt/usb/dev/kergoth-tslib-d7f5dae # ./autogen.sh
Can't locate strict.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/autoconf /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/arm-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/arm-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/Channels.pm line 65.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/Channels.pm line 65.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/ChannelDefs.pm line 20.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/ChannelDefs.pm line 20.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/autoreconf line 42.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/autoreconf line 42.

FIXED: Also, does anyone know where authorized keys go for ssh?  /root/.ssh/authorized_keys doesn't survive a reboot.
Fixed it!  Look here:
http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=5894

chumby-12-34-56:~ # echo -n "software version: " ; chumby_version -s ; echo -n "firmware build number: " ; chumby_version -f ; echo -n "hardware version number: " ; chumby_version -h
software version: 1.0.5
firmware build number: 1.0.3548
hardware version number: 9.7

Thank You All Very Much!

You guys nailed it.  "btplayd" is the daemon that plays music on Chumby's, and "byplay" essentially tells it what to play.  For some reason btplayd wasn't starting as it usually does (I'm honestly no expert on how these things work, at least not yet) so I just added it to my startup script.

@oldfolkie - well done!  I figured there had to be a way to do this, but my Google skills failed me.  I also think I'm a few versions behind since "tablet" isn't available.  Maybe it's time for an upgrade...but anyway, thanks again!

@blystovsk: The Table skin is actually a third party plugin.  Go to the plugin tab, click the checkbox for show third party tabs, check tablet skin, save and restart the squeeze server.  Should show up as an option now.

[Bump]
Does anyone have time to take a look at this for me? I'm not a programmer, but I can edit a text file ;-)
Thanks!
David
[/Bump]

icehole wrote:
blystovski wrote:

Well, I'm away from my toys for a week or so, but here is a demo website, same server software:

http://173.200.65.210/webview/default2.htm
Login: dvrusa
Password: client

I did try with both the standard browser, and the wv, and (on the server side) both the streaming JPEG and MPEG (selected from below the login & password entry boxes).

I am really hoping this will work!

thanks,

David

This is awesome.

Is there any way to add the ability to dim the screen at night?  I would really be nice if you could use the button on top to toggle in and out of dim mode.

THANKS AGAIN!

SqueezeBox - Touch Web Interface on InfoCast 8

Thought I'd pop a note in here for those checking out this thread.  The wv version of the Web Browser works pretty well as a SqueezeBox Touch Interface to control my SqueezeBox Receiver.  I have a thumbdrive with the wv Silvermoon Browser on it and use my squeezeserver as the display page using the touch web interface (http://123.456.7.89:9000/Touch/).

Pop the thumbdrive out and restart and you're back to a Chumby8/InfoCast8.

I also have a thumbdrive with the SageTV-WebServer interface on it (http://123.456.7.89:8080/sage/Home) but it likes more real estate for the EPG and such, so I haven't yet decided how useful it will be.  I also haven't sorted how to deal with the credential checking, so if anyone knows how to deal with that without disabling credential checking, please advise.

Now if we could sleep/dim the screen and move back and forth between the browser and apps/widgets, then we'd really be getting somewhere...

ryoohki wrote:

Something is wrong wth the perl setup:

chumby-12-34-56:/mnt/usb/dev/kergoth-tslib-d7f5dae # ./autogen.sh
Can't locate strict.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/autoconf /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/arm-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/arm-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/Channels.pm line 65.

Any luck with perl on the Chumby? I haven't dug into this yet, but I'm also not able to use strict...

The Perl that's built into the device is not a full Perl - it's a "mini-Perl" that's used for the level of scripting that's typically usedin an embedded device.  A full Perl with all of the typical modules would be quite large.

However, I *think* there's a more complete Perl linked from the bottom of this page of the wiki.

JeepGoesBeep wrote:

No I'm using homeseer with a package that you can build a very custom web interface with. It's jon00 control or something like that.

I've been looking into compiling my own binary and found that theres actually a blank cursor shape that you can use so I might give that a shot over the holidays....

Are you talking about adding

app->setOverrideCursor( QCursor( Qt::BlankCursor ) );

?  Did it work?  Would you mind sharing your binary? :)

Quick question...I just got an Insignia Infocast 8" and flashed it to the C8 control panel.  In this 'unsupported' configuration can the browser be added or do I need to be running the Infocast CP?

I noticed two things.  On Google News and also on Reddit widgets, if you touch an article, it will open up the browser and show you the web page!  Also, the browser is offered standalone on the page where you go to reload your channels and all that.  NOT A SUPER CONVENIENT PLACE BY ANY MEANS because you have to leave a channel to invoke the browser.  But the browser is available standalone way at the top level of control screens.  I have the C8 software on an Infocast 8".  It works but it's awful slow and gets easily flummoxed by advertising crap like popups and anigifs and so on.

Ken wrote:

I've posted instructions for building a Qt 4.6.3 / Webkit based web browser for the Silvermoon platform (AKA Insignia Infocast Internet Media Device), complete with touch screen and SSL support, on the chumby wiki.

If you'd prefer not to build it yourself, I've provided a USB image capable of running the web browser.  To run the USB image, simply download and extract the zip file to the root of a USB drive, insert it into your Silvermoon device and reboot.

Note that while the touch screen works for basic navigation and window management, you will need to use a USB keyboard for any textual input.

I was thinking about messing around with my infocast 8 and finally trying our this web browser.  However, it seems like while the wiki page is there, the links to the files are not.  Can I get a new link or find out what happened?

Is it the chumby 8 firmware you are looking for? (It runs on the infocast 8, and includes the web browser). There is a thread on here by Duane I think with links to existing firmwares, couldn't find it just now, but it should be there.

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

I made the I8 to C8 software change and I cannot use the chumbrowser. Says that the browser is not enabled on this unit. I do not know how to get it to work. Any suggestions?

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

dpierce62 wrote:

I was thinking about messing around with my infocast 8 and finally trying our this web browser.  However, it seems like while the wiki page is there, the links to the files are not.  Can I get a new link or find out what happened?

The files were likely not re-uploaded when Duane moved the files to a different webserver.

You could build it, all the instructions are on that wiki page.  I have done a build of Qt with webkit with a "kiosk mode" browser that is full screen.  It's not terribly difficult.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

I'll see if I can find the files associated with the link and restore them.

EDIT: found them, uploading them now, should be there within the hour.

Will this fix my no browser problems? I don't know what is needed to enable the chumbrowser.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.