Topic: URGENT: Screen burn in on chumby classic with spaceclock.

I recently rebooted my chumby classic and was horrified to find a pink outline of the space clock clearly showing up on the white background. For those of you with chumby classics running the default spaceclock -- be sure you put it into night mode and leave it running for no more than 8 hrs/day. i have now set mine to night mode.
anyone know if this is permanent or can be cleared by exercising the screen ? i assume it is.
fyi i checked my chumby one and there is no such afterimage on it even though it is running the same thing 24 hrs/day.

Re: URGENT: Screen burn in on chumby classic with spaceclock.

Oh nooooo... I'll be making an alarm for night mode on my classic starting tonight after reading this!

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

The technology use in type of display does not have any burn in, since it's not an "active" display, like plasma.

It is possible for an image to persist for some period, but it's not in any way permanent - if you turn off the device for some period, or change the image, it will be gone.

Changing the brightness level would make no difference, since it's just a uniform light panel behind the LCD, which is what actually makes the image.

The panel used in the C1 is slightly newer and does not persist the image as long.

Good to know.  I never paid attention to which technologies of screen suffer from "burn in" although I know some are susceptible and some aren't.  Thanks for alleviating my fears Duane!

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

i turned off the display for 8 hrs and then booted it up and i still see the pink and gray outline of the side bar of the space clock. i tried installing offline fw on it which ran widgets fine for a couple of hours but didnt remove the pink and grey outline of space clock at boot up.
is there any other way to "exercise" the display to get rid of it somehow ?
this guy says i should put an all white image up : http://lifehacker.com/146469/remove-lcd-image-burn+in
how do i do this ? will it help ?

delaney99 wrote:

i turned off the display for 8 hrs and then booted it up and i still see the pink and gray outline of the side bar of the space clock. i tried installing offline fw on it which ran widgets fine for a couple of hours but didnt remove the pink and grey outline of space clock at boot up.
is there any other way to "exercise" the display to get rid of it somehow ?
this guy says i should put an all white image up : http://lifehacker.com/146469/remove-lcd-image-burn+in
how do i do this ? will it help ?

Thats wierd.  My ONLY widget was space-clock for years, well, weather, every 2 hours for 1 minite too

I do not see any burn-in and as I said, I've been running space clock alot longer than most!!!