Topic: Anyone have Chumby opening.swf?

I know this seems stupid, but I'd like to change my Infocast's bootup screen to be the same as the Chumby's. According to the wiki, I just have to load up a flash drive with a file called opening.swf to change the bootup animation. If any Chumby users have it, can they please upload it to a site and give me the link? Thanks!

Re: Anyone have Chumby opening.swf?

You should be able to get it from the update zips in the firmware images: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8654

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

update.tgz -> rfs.tar.gz -> /usr/widgets/opening.swf

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

4 (edited by nathanm 2013-03-23 16:14:16)

Materdaddy wrote:

update.tgz -> rfs.tar.gz -> /usr/widgets/opening.swf

Thanks! I actually modified update.tgz with 7zip so I could boot up with the new screen without a flash drive. For any fellow I3.5 users, the link to the new file is here:https://mega.co.nz/#!RkhU1ABK!Y2QhEmh9O … BuykyEXbfw
To install it, just touch the screen while the flash drive (FAT32 formatted, with the firmware on it) is in, and tap install update and then install update via USB. That should get you running with the Chumby opening.swf instead of the generic Insignia Please Wait... screen.

Can't get that  page with IE. Says I must have Chrome to get to this page. Excuse me MEGA!

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

demarks51 wrote:

Can't get that  page with IE. Says I must have Chrome to get to this page. Excuse me MEGA!

IE. The best tool ever to download a better browser with. big_smile Seriously. Switch to something different. IE's actually unsafe. If you must, though, isn't there a No Thanks button where you can click to continue, even when not on Chrome?

Off topic here, I'm a Firefox person and won't touch Google Chrome because I don't want to share my personal life with Google any more than necessary. On the rare occasions I run into a page looking for Chrome, I pop in a USB stick loaded with Iron Portable. The Iron browser is also based on Chromium, but without the Google spyware -

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/iron_portable

demarks51 wrote:

Actually it works fine in IE10 (latest version); it still complains that you're using IE, but lets you bypass the warning and continue downloading.  IE8 on the other hand, will not be able to proceed with the download.

If you insist on using IE, might I suggest at least upgrading? smile

9 (edited by demarks51 2013-03-25 07:43:56)

Actually I am using IE10. My obnoxiously old laptop at home runs XP and only can count up to IE8.
I am able to download this file at this time. I used to be a wanderer from IE and used all kinds of browsers and everyone seems to be opinionated as to which is best. I am glad there are choices and everyone has a right to their favorite. If you want to discuss browsers and why your choice is superior to mine then I suggest you start a new topic. This is not intended to be a grumpy comment.

I did load the chumby update revised from the website and it was a cool change EXCEPT I forgot that all my personal settings including My Streams were overwritten. Glad I have another cousin chum who can give me all the info I need to get it back like it was before this small change.

I have read the postings about changing the I8 to the C8 CP but I am still unclear of the very best easiest way to do that without crashing the unit. I really think it would be cool to have an I8 *looking* and acting like a C8. Is it just rebooting with the chumby zip file loaded on a stick posted on another topic?

demarks51 wrote:

I have read the postings about changing the I8 to the C8 CP but I am still unclear of the very best easiest way to do that without crashing the unit. I really think it would be cool to have an I8 *looking* and acting like a C8. Is it just rebooting with the chumby zip file loaded on a stick posted on another topic?

Um... Isn't this the wrong topic? Did you mean to post it in this: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8731 instead? If you do, Doktor Jones? Could you move it there?

Anyway, all it does is create a new parameter that spoofs the hardware version to the control panel only, not the widgets. This way, the widgets won't think it's a Chumby 8 and call innocent unmodded I8s Chumby 8s, and you still get the Chumby 8 dashboard. I'd get the latest firmware first, though. By the way, all you do is boot with the contents of the zip file in the topic that I linked earlier extracted to the flash drive. From what I can see, tylerfixer was just posting that "At your own risk" thing so he wouldn't get sued or something, as everyone responding to the topic seems to have had success.

Remember. I don't have a Chumby 8. I'm just reading off publicly available information to help my fellow Chumbretheren with their problems.